[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for some anime that are truly fantastic by story and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 16
File: RAINBOW2.jpg (139 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
RAINBOW2.jpg
139 KB, 1280x720
Looking for some anime that are truly fantastic by story and character development alone
>>
Oh right, picture: rainbow nisha rokubou no shichinin

New here
>>
Durarara?
>>
Gurren lagan
>>
Seen hunterxhunter(2011)?
>>
Love Live! School Idol Project
>>
Twelve Kingdoms. Unfortunately, the anime has no real ending.
>>
>>54682
Ping Pong the Animation
>>
Tatami Galaxy
Toradora
>>
Berserk
NHK ni Youkosou
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Lucky Star
K-On!
Carnival Phantasm
Martian Successor Nadesico
Earth Defense Force Dai-Guard
The Big O
Persona 4: The Golden Animation
Bakemonogatari
Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei
Space Dandy
Xabungle

>>54693
>>54711
>>54760
>>54816
Ignore these, they're mediocre.
>>
>>54859
>Ping Pong
>mediocre

1v1 me m8
>>
>>54916
It's nothing special
>>
>>54682
Spice and Wolf. It has great atmosphere and characters.
>>
>>54753
If you disregard the last 4 episodes as a throwaway arc it is, it has a pretty decent ending.

Seconding Twelve Kingdoms. It's Character Development: The Anime. It kinda resembles Avatar ( the cartoon) in the way it handles the get-yo-shit-together roadtrip.
>>
>>54682
So, that's:

- Twelve Kingdoms (char. dev.)
- Shinsekai yori (story adapted straight out from a 1000 page proper novel)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (character study)
- Madoka Magica (go into this one blind)
- Katanagatari (road trip story)
- The Monogatari series (prepare for a truckload of words to dig through)
>>
>>55000
>- Madoka Magica (go into this one blind)
I hope you didn't do your high school reading. If you did, you're going to be indescribably disappointed.
>>
>>54682
Cowboy Bebop
>>
>>54859
>Lucky Star
>fucking Persona 4
>Berserk (Manga is great though)
>>
>>54682
Fairy Tail
Hunter x Hunter
Magi: Labyrinth of Magic
Magi: Kingdom of Magic
Rokka no Yuusha
Death Note
Hitsugi no Chaika
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
Selector Infected WiXoss
Selector Spread WiXoss
Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
OreImo
Black Rock Shooter
No game no life
Noragami
Noragami Aragoto
Black Bullet
Steins;Gate

Those are just off my head, there are lots more on my list,
and here I see normies recommending their overrated animes.

>>54859
Don't listen to this guy

>NHK
There's the story but, what is a development if it gets rekt in the end anyways?
>Lucky Star
Talking about pointless things.
>Carnival Phantasm
Parody
>>
>>54859
>hunterxhunter mediocre
There goes your credibility
>>
File: 1448920322565.jpg (19 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1448920322565.jpg
19 KB, 255x255
>>54859
>suggesting Lucky Star over Ping Pong
Buddy
>>
File: Yoshitoshi.Abe.full.485304.jpg (3 MB, 2360x3495) Image search: [Google]
Yoshitoshi.Abe.full.485304.jpg
3 MB, 2360x3495
>>54682
Texhnolyze. I know you won't watch it, I'm just dropping that here. So much character development you will fucking drown.
>>
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 650x650
>>55451
Nope, it really is:

- narrator ruins all the good scenes
- dreadful pacing, particularly in the CA arc
- unimaginative direction; slavish adaptation of the comic; massive failure to play to the strengths of the medium
- huge plot arcs happen off screen because the writer can't be fucked (essentially everything involving Kurapika)
- no real idea where it's going: "hey, there's this whole outside world that you'll never see because I'm too busy playing Dragon Quest".

And while I'm at it, here's some love for the manga:
- Looks like it was drawn by a child with a six-foot-long pencil
- never fucking releases, because the author cocklodges with the writer of Sailor Moon, and has never in his life had to treat the job like a job.
>>
>>54859
That's some shitty taste if I've ever seen one.
>>
>>55483
>{{Citation Needed}}
Just because you didn't like it does NOT make the anime bad.
No one cares about your fucking opinion, fuck off.
>>
>>55483
Thanks for your thesis. Without commenting on your opinion, I have to remind you of OP's request. Hunterxhunter has insane character development and great part of what you consider as boring, slow paced and unnecessary is dedicated to the rounding of characters.
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 777x656) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 777x656
>>55496
No, it being bad makes it bad.

Compare the direction of, say, the first two episodes of Durarara, with any forty-eight minutes of the Chimera Ants.

You'll see that it is, in fact, possible to have narration and multiple simultaneous events without treating the viewer like a drooling imbecile.
>>
>>55504
Erm, no.

Kurapika, for example, just outright disappears for thirty episodes, and the next time you see him he's different because reasons.

Same with Leorio: you get his "you need money to change the world" speech in ~episode twenty, then he gets put on the back burner until the election arc.

That's not character delvelopment, that's lazy writing.
>>
>>55510
>{{Citation still needed}}
You see, you still keep pushing your shitty opinion over people's faces. If you had an actual constructed argument with citations based on the actual thing and what went wrong with it, it would've been fine. Just because there are time skips does not mean it violated the plot or anything, it's still realistic unlike other "forced" animes out there, whether it'd be plot or drama.
>>
>>55514
>Erm cause every character needs to be developed equally
Please start making sense anon. I didn't come here to call ppl retarded faggots, but you're starting to ask for it
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 500x432) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 500x432
>>55522
>{citation needed}
"nuh uh" is not an argument.
>>
>>55529
>"nuh uh" is not an argument.
What?
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 907x718) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 907x718
>>55533
{citation needed}
>>
File: Descartes.jpg (5 KB, 256x273) Image search: [Google]
Descartes.jpg
5 KB, 256x273
>>55537
nice meme
>>
>>55527
Erm, yeah, it kinda does, particularly when a) you're holding it up as an exemplar of character development, and b) we're talking about a show with only four protagonists and at any given time only one-or-two principle antagonists. Supporting cast being interesting is lovely, but your core cast not being cardboard cutouts is your bread-and-butter.

These two are billed as core cast, and yet they just get ignored for ages, and then just reappear with an "oh hai stuff happened I guess".

It's not a timeskip because timeskips are a deliberate device where an event happens off-screen and the viewer infers from seeing how the characters deal with the implied event and the effects the implied event had on them (boku dake ga inai machi, nagi no asu kara are examples of this). HxH, by contrast, presents a single continuous narrative that some characters just disappear from only to come back when the author remembers he hasn't put them in in a while.

Banshee has a similar setting, themes, and size-of-cast, and yet it somehow manages to succeed in developing all of them.
>>
Renai Circulation
>>
>>55547
>Banshee has a similar setting, themes, and size-of-cast, and yet it somehow manages to succeed in developing all of them.
>succeed in developing all of them.
>implying
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 1280x720
>>55551
>>55529
>>
File: Windows' Picture Puzzle.png (296 KB, 740x603) Image search: [Google]
Windows' Picture Puzzle.png
296 KB, 740x603
>>55558
thanks m8
>>
>>55435
>Fairy Tail
Not sure if trolling or just stupid
>Hunter x Hunter
Even less sure, because this one is day and night different from FT
>Magi: Labyrinth of Magic
>Magi: Kingdom of Magic
Oh wait, we're just listing popular action-adventure series?
>Rokka no Yuusha
Seems that way...
>Death Note
Oh what the hell.
>Hitsugi no Chaika
Aaaand we're back on the fantasy action-adventure track. This one is nothing special but at least it's short. Still, it's definitely shitty character development and shitty story. A quote from this series goes, word for word "I have personality". It's even more hilarious in context.
>Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
There's zero character development. And the story poses absolutely no challenge to JSDF, they're infallible and steamrolling through like Kirito.
>Selector Infected WiXoss
Inferior Madoka ripoff. Aside from Aki-lucky completely forgettable.
>Selector Spread WiXoss
And the story goes to shit here.
>Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
literally who
>OreImo
This seems like an elaborate troll.
>Black Rock Shooter
again, some more mediocre crap
>No game no life
It's engaging, fun, and 10/10 guilty pleasure, nut never in my life would I call character development or story here "good", let alone "truly fantastic"
>Noragami
>Noragami Aragoto
Almost qualifies.
>Black Bullet
Oh come on
>Steins;Gate
And for the second time a spot-on re commendation in the sea of missed calls.
>Don't listen to this guy
Don't listen to that guy, either. The first guy's choice wasn't perfect, but half of his picks were solid.
>>
>>55572
is this a new b8?
>>
>>55489
>literally one bad anime on there as a joke
>bad taste
Back to /v/ with you
>>55421
>>55435
>>55451
>>55455
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 1280x720
Kaiji. You wont regret it
>>
>>55572
not that guy but see >>55496 and >>55504

>And for the second time a spot-on re commendation in the sea of missed calls
And for the second time a spot-on banter in a sea of /trash/ worthy opinions.

It's midnight here and I'm too tired to reply to your turbo-autistic shitpost.

The only banter you said that was worth reconsidering was Gate and Selector Spread WiXoss.
But then I had a thought about it and came to a conclusion that Gate was unfinished and you're too fucking retarded to understand what was literally happening in Selector Spread WiXoss.

>Inferior Madoka ripoff. Aside from Aki-lucky completely forgettable.
It's either this is a reverse-meme or you're a hivemind MALfag (Don't trust MAL, pls for the sake of fuck). Selector Infected WiXoss was NOT a rip-off of Madoka, it was originally a card game 'till they made an anime for it, people who don't watch anime properly and rely on the shitty reviews of MAL easily falls for this shit meme.

Did you even watch these? Can't you give an accurate review without shitposting this hard?

Stop trying to samefag so hard just because you have a shit taste, it's either that or you're a complete newfag who doesn't know jackshit or even pays attention and just keeps rushing on watching anime for the sake of watching it, let me remind you again that your opinions are shit so stop posting them without valid judgement from sources and constructed arguments, what's there only suggests what OP has requested.

>>55600
Fuck off with you, even reddit has shitty standards.
>>
>>55611
>Fuck off with you, even reddit has shitty standards.
Yes, that's what I was pointing out.
>>
>>55611
>Selector Infected WiXoss was NOT a rip-off of Madoka, it was originally a card game 'till they made an anime for it
And Gundam Build Fighters was originally a model kit.

Neither come with stories.
>>
>>55615
What are you talking about? If they didn't had stories then the anime industry have had made one for them, it's not like you need an obligatory Manga to come before the anime.

>>55613
What? It was quite clear that you were redirecting me to a website full of autism and triggerfags.
>>
>>55435
>OP wants series with strong, developed characters
>"Don't listen to this guy who listed a bunch of series with strong, developed characters, listen to me! Now watch 20 of the most bland and generic shonen anime ever released starring the same six fucking characters in every one of them
>>
>>55620
>If they didn't had stories then the anime industry have had made one for them
That kinda kicks the legs out from under the assertion that it's not a Madoka ripoff because the card game came first, no?
>>
>>55622
>>"Don't listen to this guy who listed a bunch of series with strong, developed characters, listen to me! Now watch 20 of the most bland and generic shonen anime ever released starring the same six fucking characters in every one of them
Character development not developed characters you fucking cuck.

>Now watch 20 of the most bland and generic shonen anime ever released
>bland and generic shonen
This has to be bait, or you're the most retarded person on this board right now.
You do know not all of the animes there that was requested are syounen, and I'm not a syounen-fag like how the Naruto fags are and the likes. I'm just here suggesting what OP wanted and I delivered. Up until you started bait / shitposting your autism..

>>55627
>That kinda kicks the legs out from under the assertion that it's not a Madoka ripoff because the card game came first, no?
What are you trying to say here?
>>
>>55631
>Character development not developed characters you fucking cuck.
How do you have developed characters without character development, anon?
>You do know not all of the animes there that was requested are syounen
Most of them are.
>and I'm not a syounen-fag like how the Naruto fags are and the likes.
You suggested Fairy Tale, which is like 20 miles BELOW Naruto. Only shonenfags even watch that shit.
>I'm just here suggesting what OP wanted and I delivered. Up until you started bait / shitposting your autism..
And similarly shitting on posts that actually fulfill that request. Fuck off.
>..
Oh my fucking god, anon. Please return to whatever website you came from. Which I'm thinking is Facebook at this point.
>>
>>55636
>How do you have developed characters without character development, anon?
Are you really this fucking stupid? If the character is already developed, how else will there be a character development?
>Most of them are.
No, if I show kids these animes they'll cower in fear. If you're even more fucking retarded than what you are not knowing what a syounen is, please end your suffering and kill yourself.
>You suggested Fairy Tale, which is like 20 miles BELOW Naruto. Only shonenfags even watch that shit.
As what was being said like 10 fucking times already, stop posting your shitty useless opinion without sources and constructive arguments. Jesus Christ, if you were to ever write an English essay, you'd fail right away.
>And similarly shitting on posts that actually fulfill that request. Fuck off.
You can't even argue and discuss properly and now you're recommending your shit opinions? No, you fuck off.
>Oh my fucking god, anon. Please return to whatever website you came from. Which I'm thinking is Facebook at this point
Are you that desperate that you know you already lost because you kept posting your shit opinion and now pandering over a... fucking... DOT.
>>
>>55547
Woah brah you are literally mentally ill. I'm not going to reason about this any further with you, not because I don't want to, but because you have zero objectivity.
>>
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 275x183
>>55641
>Are you really this fucking stupid? If the character is already developed,
Someone didn't pass English class in 8th grade. Or 4th.
>No, if I show kids these animes they'll cower in fear. If you're even more fucking retarded than what you are not knowing what a syounen is, please end your suffering and kill yourself.
How are you consistently misspelling "shounen?" If you prefer "shonen" that's fine, but it's not a fucking "y." Do you not know what "shonen" even means? It'a demographic you fucking newshit, and it covers "young boys," ages from like 8 to 18. Fairy Tail is literally a shonen anime. It airs on Saturday morning at 10:30. Literally a Saturday morning cartoon. Magi is literally a shonen anime. HunterxHunter is literally a shonen anime. Chaika, Death Note, Rokka, and Gate are all literally shonen anime. MAL pretends shonen is a genre and STILL classifies those as "shonen." The rest are seinen but are still kid-friendly.
>As what was being said like 10 fucking times already, stop posting your shitty useless opinion without sources and constructive arguments.
Why are you even having to justify watching a long-running shonen anime? There's no fucking excuse. You are a fucking adult and have no right or reason to actually tell other people to watch this awful fucking garbage.
>Jesus Christ, if you were to ever write an English essay, you'd fail right away.
Claims fucking ESL.
>You can't even argue and discuss properly and now you're recommending your shit opinions? No, you fuck off.
Anon you're trying to argue that Wixoss isn't a Madoka clone because it was a card game first even though the only story for it was written AFTER Madoka. You're a fucking retard.
Moreover, DON'T THROW STONES INSIDE OF A GLASS HOUSE, you dumb fucking whore.
>pandering over a... fucking... DOT.
>doesn't know what "shonen" means
>doesn't know what "pandering" means
>being this fucking stupid
>>
>>55647
>How are you consistently misspelling "shounen?" If you prefer "shonen" that's fine, but it's not a fucking "y."
Holy shit, I always thought you were stupid but not this fucking autistic of a weaboo. I'm used to Japanese that's why I spell your "SHONEN" as syounen, that's also because the fact that spelling it a different way in Romaji will implicate a different meaning without the use of Kanji. When you say "SHONEN", the first thing that appears on the drop-down list is 初年 which has a completely different meaning and a completely different Kanji. What I intend to mean is 少年 which is when you type "syounen" the first word that will appear in the drop-down list is that Kanji. Why the fuck am I educating you this, you should find this out yourself you lazy prick.

>Do you not know what "shonen" even means? It'a demographic you fucking newshit, and it covers "young boys," ages from like 8 to 18. Fairy Tail is literally a shonen anime. It airs on Saturday morning at 10:30. Literally a Saturday morning cartoon. Magi is literally a shonen anime. HunterxHunter is literally a shonen anime. Chaika, Death Note, Rokka, and Gate are all literally shonen anime. MAL pretends shonen is a genre and STILL classifies those as "shonen." The rest are seinen but are still kid-friendly.
Who the fuck are you to judge which one is syounen and which ones aren't? Their credibility of them being syounen are based on their target demographic and how the kids react on them. And if you still keep looking over at MAL, I have already told you before, MAL is a shit website, if you'd still rely on that, there's no hope for you.

>Why are you even having to justify watching a long-running shonen anime? There's no fucking excuse. You are a fucking adult and have no right or reason to actually tell other people to watch this awful fucking garbage.
No fuck off, you don't tell me what to do either, I'm just giving recommendations without invalid arguments like you do.

Fuck word limit.
>>
File: stop fucking lying.png (289 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
stop fucking lying.png
289 KB, 620x372
>>55655
>Holy shit, I always thought you were stupid but not this fucking autistic of a weaboo. I'm used to Japanese that's why I spell your "SHONEN" as syounen, that's also because the fact that spelling it a different way in Romaji will implicate a different meaning without the use of Kanji.
>>
>>55647
Cont.

>Claims fucking ESL.
That doesn't change the fact that you don't know how to discuss properly. All you do is shit on other people's posts.

>Anon you're trying to argue that Wixoss isn't a Madoka clone because it was a card game first even though the only story for it was written AFTER Madoka. You're a fucking retard.
Moreover, DON'T THROW STONES INSIDE OF A GLASS HOUSE, you dumb fucking whore.
It isn't a fucking clone holy shit anon, it's not even close or even a fucking parody. IT IS written after Madoka but you don't have the right to say that it was a DIRECT CLONE from fucking Madoka, you went full fucking shit on this one.

>>pandering over a... fucking... DOT.
>>doesn't know what "shonen" means
>>doesn't know what "pandering" means
>>being this fucking stupid
It was fucking sarcastic and rhetorical you fucking cuck, and and I've already explained what syounen is from the post above, you don't know jackshit about Japanese so shut the fuck up.
>>
>>55647
>Someone didn't pass English class in 8th grade. Or 4th.
That post doesn't make any sense at all, and now you're twisting the story by making up a shit banter implicating about me "Not passing 4th or 8th grade", fuck off with your bullshit, seriously.
>>
>>54682
Katanagatari
Monster
>>
>>55645
What do you mean "any further"?

You never put forth a single actual argument; you just kept saying "nuh-uh" and "you smell".
>>
>>55655
>SHONEN", the first thing that appears on the drop-down list is 初年 which has a completely different meaning and a completely different Kanji.
"What-I-need-to-type-into-my-IME" is not one of the four widely-recognised standards for romanising Japanese.

You are literally telling Shonen Jump that they're spelling their own name wrong and you know better.
>>
File: mitibike.png (437 KB, 777x602) Image search: [Google]
mitibike.png
437 KB, 777x602
>>55906
>Shonen Jump
Shonen Jump is a name, syounen is a genre and you know better. The romanising of the Kanji is just the western way of spelling a Japanese word. Another example would be the word 少し (Su-ko-si), and there's an English word "Skosh" coined from that word. Just be mindful that the Western Spelling when it comes to names and words are different with the actual Japanese itself.

Sorry about yesterday, I was tired, sleepy and all, so that's why I was down-righted rude but at least the arguments didn't end up in vain, just try to remember not to bash other people without proper discussion, okay?
>>
File: Perfect.png (418 KB, 873x547) Image search: [Google]
Perfect.png
418 KB, 873x547
Kids on a Slope?
>>
>>55966
>just try to remember not to bash other people without proper discussion, okay?
>>
>>55903
What I mean is that my point is moot. It isn't necessary for me to list characters and discuss why I am of opinion that they're well developed, beacause it's obvious and the animé community as a whole agrees with me (check out the reviews). Even if I decided to write a essay on the finely nuanced characters, you would probably list examples of 2 characters that weren't persued by the writer. What I find amusing is that you cling to traditional storytelling so much that you can't accept that characters that you thought would form an integral part of the story, didn't (something that people with healthy thoughpatterns actually find refreshing). You reason like someone who considers themself smart, but has been living in their own bubble for so long that they don't realise just how unobjective they've become. So to summarize, I'd be willing to continue arguing with you, if you changed your entire mindset and present clear and concise arguments on why you consider the character development of hunterx to be lacking. I honestly believe that you won't change until you make some drastic changes to your life though (and by then this thread will be long gon).
Ps. That "gon" was on purpose
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.