[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't really need the answer. I need help about word problems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
I don't really need the answer. I need help about word problems (The solution is what I need, and how you get it.). Here it is. A heavy freight train made a trip of 360 miles, running part of the distance at 54 miles an hour and the rest at 48 miles an hour. If the entire trip took 7 hours, find the distance traveled at each rate.
>>
>>54416
OP here, I meant equation, and how did you find it.
>>
>>54416
54a+48b=360
a+b=7
>>
>>54448
yep, and then once you have a and b you can use those times to figure out distance (b/c you have velocity)
>>
>>54543
perhaps i can reframe my response to be more generally helpful for word problems.

what works for me for word problems:

what are the units given in the question?
mi / hr, hr, mi

what are the units of what the question wants?
distance - miles

what are the possible relevant formulas relating what you have and what you want?
speed = distance / time

how can i manipulate that formula to give me my end units?
distance = speed / time

so. we have two speeds.
we have total time.
to get to distance, we need to find how long we traveled at each of those speeds.

from these, we can start getting to he equations >>54448 posted.
[total_time] = [time_at_speed_a] + [time_at_speed_b]
and
speed * time = distance ... and we know the total distance
so... [speed_a] * [time_at_speed_a] + [speed_b] * [time_at_speed_b] = [total distance]

subbing in real values:
a + b = 7
54 * a + 48 * b = 360

and from here we have a normal system of linear equations to solve.
>>
>>54416
If I have difficulties with a problem I make some sketches and add the informations given one at a time.

total distance: 360 miles
total time: 7 hours
---------------------------+---------------------
distance 1 ? distance 2 ?
velocity 1: 54 mi/h velocity 2: 48 mi/h
time 1 ? time 2 ?

It's then easy to see that the problem is composed of 2 pieces that needs to be calculated with the formula for constant velocity and that the sub solutions need to be added to obtain the total distance and total running time.
>>
>>54661
sorry, 4chan ate the space, I hope you get the idea.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.