[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I model this problem with an equation? I made a table
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Capture.png (78 KB, 697x232) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
78 KB, 697x232
How do I model this problem with an equation? I made a table of values and I get the pattern, but not sure what the equation is.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_number
>>
How would I go about figuring that equation out though? Is there a certain way to do so, other than trial and error?
>>
>>51062
x = 1 + n*1
where n is the index number.

gg ez wp
>>
>>51062
Well, you write down the first numbers (note the different colors of the balls):
1+2 = 3
1+2+3 = 6
1+2+3+4 = 10
So the 50th triangular number is the sum of the first 50 natural numbers. If you don't know that this is equal to n choose 2 = n(n+1)/2 for n=50 you can prove it as follows just like Gauss:

Write the numbers that you want to sum in ascending order and below in descending order:
1 2 3 ... n-2 n-1 n
n n-1 n-2 ... 3 2 1

The sum in a column is always n+1 so the sum of all 2n numbers is n(n+1). Since you only want to count each number once, you need to divide by 2:

T_n = n choose 2 = n(n+1)/2
>>
>>51081
You can also do this with the balls if you have problems with the equation:

Bring the Tn balls in a right triangle pattern:

Use another triangle with the same number of balls, but in reverse order, and put the two of them together:

You obtain a rectangle with n rows and n+1 balls in each row, that is, n(n+1) balls in total. Since you used two triangles, the number of balls in Tn is half this amount, n(n+1)/2.
>>
File: Capture.png (33 KB, 683x236) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
33 KB, 683x236
>>51081
>>51092

Thanks, that helped.

How would I apply the ascending/descending thing to a problem like this?
>>
>>51095
It's only the application of the triangular numbers before. You have numbered balls / squares, so in the first rows:
and so on. Note that the rightmost number is equal to T_n for n=1,2,3...

Since in the problem you have 60 completely filled rows you have used the balls numbered from 1 to T(60).

In the 61st row are the balls numbered T(60)+1,..., T(60)+23 (which you need), and so on.
>>
>>51100
*squares instead of balls
>>
File: Capture.png (151 KB, 1292x233) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
151 KB, 1292x233
>>51100
Ahh, didn't realize it was the same as the other problem.

And one final question about pic related. I found the equation for this problem to be:

t(n)=1/2^(n-1)

How do I look at this in terms of the general equation? What is my "a" and "r" ?
>>
>>51115
>t(n)=1/2^(n-1)
You can write this as (1/2)^(n-1) so a = 1 (the starting number t(1) = 1 = a ) and r = 1/2.

For the sum (part iii) ) you need to use an approach similar to the one with the triangular numbers.

Write the terms that you want to add, say up to t(n)

a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + .... + ar^(n-1) = s = s(n) (1)

multiply this by r:

ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ... + ar^n = rs (2)

Now you can see that most terms are contained in both sums, so you can subtract equation (1) from (2) and obtain:

ar^n - a = rs - s
a (r^n - 1) = (r - 1) s

s(n) = a (r^n - 1)/(r - 1)

If r < 1 you write it normally in this way:

s(n) = a (1 - r^n)/(1 - r)

note that r^n becomes smaller and smaller with increasing n, so in iii) you will get that s(100) is slightly less than a/(1 - r) = 1/0.5 = 2
>>
>>51122
>note that r^n becomes smaller and smaller with increasing n

* if r < 1
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.