[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do I resize a transparent image? I don't have photoshop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3
how do I resize a transparent image?
I don't have photoshop or anything but really need to make a picture bigger but everytime I do it loses its transparency.
im obviously not advanced at this shit so please help me out.
(pic not related)
>>
first: it must be saved in a format that supports transparency (usually PNG, GIF also works techically but is old)

"normally" you'd just have 3 channels per image: Red, Green and Blue (at 8bits each, you're looking at a 24bit PNG). for transparency you need a fourth channel called the Alpha channel (adding another 8bit for a total of 32bit PNG).

so you need a software that supports alpha channels and doesn't automatically remove them (like MS Paint does afaik).

if you're looking for a free alternative to Photoshop: GIMP is pretty good and open source (aka completely free). it can do most of what PS can do (even though it's sometimes a bit cumbersome to work). There are simpler alternatives, but GIMP is pretty much the end-all be-all of free image editing software.

the GUI can be intimidating. so if you go with GIMP here's how you resize a transparent image in GIMP: open the image. in the menu bar above the image go to Image>Scale Image. After you're done you'll have to export it via File>Export As and keep the PNG extension.
>>
You are probably saving the image in a format that has no alpha channel. Jpg doesn't.
Try png.
>>
File: transparent.png (22 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
transparent.png
22 KB, 640x400
You'll need to download some kind of image editing program that supports transparency if you don't have one already, first off. GIMP should be fine for this purpose. It's free and it'll get the job done.

Question is, do you need to make the image itself larger while maintaining the transparency, or do you just want to make the transparent area larger?

If it's the first one, you'll need to go to the Image menu > Scale Image > set the dimensions to whatever you need. The entire picture itself should be enlarged.

(Don't uncheck the "maintain aspect ratio" checkbox/the little chain inbetween the image size dimensions unless you want it to get all stretched and awkward looking)

If you just need the transparent area around the image itself to be larger, go Image > Canvas Size > set the dimensions to whatever you need. You can drag the image to where it needs to be on the canvas with the move tool.

In order to make sure the transparency stays as-is, you'll need to go File > Export As > whatever file type you need, though I'd go with PNG if you don't need anything specific i.e. GIF or JPG or whatnot.

stupid example of exported png here too
>>
File: 305.jpg (552 KB, 1104x593) Image search: [Google]
305.jpg
552 KB, 1104x593
>>50090
>>50091
>>50092
Holy shit, this board.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.