[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help a dumbass out with General Physics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: phys .jpg (52 KB, 1783x355) Image search: [Google]
phys .jpg
52 KB, 1783x355
I'm in the second sequence to general physics and I'm already getting my shit pushed in. Been stuck on this problem, I would assume we are supposed to use Coulomb's Law.

My thought was that since Fnet2 is 0.79N, I could set that equal to F2,3 and F2,1 so that you do

0.79N= (k*q2*q1/d^2) + (k*q2*q3/d^2)

Then you just solve for d by getting the square root, but none have my answers have been correct so far.
>>
>>47526
plug in your values and make sure it adds up to .79N
>>
>>47526
The forces are not in a straight line, so you cannot simply add them.

q2 and q3 have positive and negative charges, so the force F2,3 is directed from q2 toward q3 on the triangle side. q1 and q2 are both positive, so the force F2,1 is directed away from q1 along the continuation of the corresponding triangle side. You obtain a force parallelogram with angles 60° and 120°. You can either use vector addition to calculate the resulting force or simply draw it a perpendicular line on one side to obtain a right triangle and use the theorem of Pythagoras after finding the side lengths by subdividing one force in its components (direction as the second force and direction perpendicular to the second force).
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.