[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can't figure this out for the life of me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: MarketPsychology.jpg (120 KB, 1000x941) Image search: [Google]
MarketPsychology.jpg
120 KB, 1000x941
So my Psychology teacher gave us an assignment last week that me nor my class can find the answer to.
"Name 3 behaviors that aren't due to their result"
Ex: Humans exercise for the result of being healthy.
And it can't be biological, like needing to go to the bathroom or drinking because you're thirsty.

Help? Please?
>>
>>48847
Manias and compulsions.
>>
>>48847
Falling over
Stroke
Heart Attack
>>
>>48875
Those aren't behaviors yo.

Again, manias and compulsions. For example, some tame ones:
- restless leg
- unnecessary scratching
- nail biting
etc
>>
does a "behaviour" require full conciousness? otherwise: sleep walking, dreaming, ticks, hallucinations, unconciousness, forgetting something, ...

>>48856
i'll add stress responses (up to PTSD)
i have a feeling pretty much all emotional responses fall into that category as well - we usually aren't happy or sad or love someone to achieve a particular result

>can't be biological
but *everything* is biological? humans are biological creatures, hormons and neurons are biology in action....
>>
>>48878
And yet all those things are done to accomplish a result.

You bite your nails to make your nails bitten. You do so in the expectation that the end result will be bitten nails.
>>
>>48885
Except they aren't.

Yes, they accomplish a result - but everything does. But that's just going full retard with the semantics.

You don't "bite your nails to bite your nails". You bite your nails, for example, because you're nervous.
>>
phobias
>>
>>48901
If you're using that reasoning, then just about any action qualifies.

You don't mastubate because you want a tissue full of semen; you don't jog because you want to be some distance from your house more slowly than by public transport; you don't go to work in McDonald's because you want some guys you've never met to be given a McGrease.
>>
The question is badly formulated. It is impossible for a behavior to be due by its result. The result of something is by definition not the cause. Even if a cause and a result consist of the same thing they remain separate concepts. Either there are no answers that can fit the question or everything can answer the question, depending on how the poorly formulated question is personally interpreted. It is especially distressing that the example provided is one of a WRONG answer instead of a good answer.
>>
>>48926
>You don't mastubate because you want a tissue full of semen
But you do because you want to release your sexual tension.

>you don't jog because you want to be some distance from your house more slowly than by public transport
No. You jog because you want what exercise entails.

>you don't go to work in McDonald's because you want some guys you've never met to be given a McGrease
But you do because you wanna eat a hamburger.

You don't, however, bite your nails because you want something. You do it as a mania/obsession. Same with restless leg and unnecessary scratching - most of the times, you even do these unconsciously, without an end.

Again, everything HAS and end, yeah, but you don't do everything due to some end. You do most conscious things due to some end, yes, but that's why manias, compulsions and, as >>48881 and >>48922 point out, stress responses are abnormal patterns of behavior.
>>
>>48953
>>you don't go to work in McDonald's because you want some guys you've never met to be given a McGrease
>But you do because you wanna eat a hamburger.
Ah, sorry, misread this one because I was hurrying.

>you don't go to work in McDonald's because you want some guys you've never met to be given a McGrease
But you do because you want to get a salary for a job with no skills required.
>>
>>48955
So if you say it's okay to duck "working in mcdonalds" having nothing to do with its proximate result just by doing a bit of handwaving about a later expected reward, you open the floodgates and anyone can apply that reasoning to anything.

You bite your nails because you don't like the feeling of having not bitten your nails in a while.

Once you let in a subjective criterion, all bets are off. You can't distinguish your reasoning from my reasoning now, so the only counterargument left is to say that, in your subjective opinion, the connection between the action and the abstract later reward is implausible.

To which I can just say "well, I disagree".

The entire question is thus rendered utterly meaningless (as if it wasn't already).
>>
>>49024
You're just being obtuse and pretentious, willfully ignoring common sense to get anal about syntax.

The dude's professor is asking a pretty standard psychology question, trying to get his students to learn about unwilling, and often abnormal, types of behavior. Sure, the question could've been formulated better, but you get the point - and you're willingly ignoring the point to whine at semantics.
>>
>>48847
Most criminal behavior.

No one kills people because there's dead people.
>>
>>49039
Paychology is a fucking science.

You can't do science if you ask fluffy, ambiguous, useless questions and then expect your students to "just get" what you're talking about.

If they could do that, they wouldn't need to be students, would they?
>>
>>48847
What we call irrationnal behaviours :
- laughing when we learn some bad news
- doing the opposite of what we're told (it's a reaction, the result is not the point, and we do it even if the other person won't know it)
- avoiding studying for an exam because we're scared we we're gonna fail
>>
>>48847
eating shit
raping children
admiring hitler

i shit you not, say those things, he will clap at you
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.