[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OK, /wsr/, I need to find a reliable alternative to Skype which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
OK, /wsr/, I need to find a reliable alternative to Skype which is easy to set up, and supports both voice and text chat. The catch is that it needs to support Windows, Android, iOS, AND Windows Phone. It needs to be something that my tech-illiterate normie friends can easily use on their phones and PCs.

Do I have any options, or is Skype the only thing that works on all these platforms? I'd consider Tox but it's a pain to install on mobile, and none of my friends would have the patience to even attempt it.
>>
I really want tox to be a thing.

Ring.cx just added their android app, but that's about it.

MATRIX.org might be decent in a while, but not much now
>>
>>48586
You basically described Skype.

What you've not described is any reason whatsoever that Skype isn't an option.
>>
>>48586
>r is Skype the only thing t
I use discord. Cross platform and all.

You have to setup up the chat room and then copy and paste like an invite link. Normies open that up and then they are in.

https://discordapp.com/
>>
TeamSpeak also works. If it's just 3 or 4 people host it locally. Also Whatsapp is an option.
>>
>>48610
Skype sucks balls though and my friends want to migrate away from it/
>>
>>48688
Also Discord doesn't have a Windows Phone client. No surprise there.
>>
>>48610
>What you've not described is any reason whatsoever that Skype isn't an option.
Skype hit the shitter bad. Not letting me join calls at random for no reason. Messages popping up above my friends' if I send it too quickly. Not being notified half the time. Chatting on phone then moving to desktop causes you to have to go through tons of 'new' messages. It freezes for literally no reason at random. Tabbing in, opening a chat, even clicking on the fucking window freezes it at times. Nothing else does this. 0 tech support whatsoever. Having wiki markup set to on by DEFAULT for everyone. Sometimes it doesn't register the fact that you're looking at the messages it thinks are new and sends you to the top of the list whenever you receive a new one, making it impossible to read the actual messages. Unable to start group calls from mobile. Extremely shoddy, low quality video calls on mobile. Sending links to an image sometimes shows the image and sometimes shows just the link depite it being under the same domain. Random crashing. Rarer than freezing but still. Messages being sent completely out of order because they were sent to quickly. Not being able to copy chat without Skype forcing it to be a quote. No audio control on mobile other than muting mic. Not being able to globally turn off emotes for you and your partner (so if I sent an emote they wouldn't see it but they can still see them if they sent it with the option off). And no, this isn't nitpicking or some shit. They're a multi billion dollar company. I'm sure Microsoft has been working with software long enough to get their fucking shit together with Skype
>>
>>48586
mumble is probably what you're looking for
>>
>>48705
you just fucking nailed every single damn reason why Skype is shit for me and I thought I was the only one experiencing all or any of these.
>>
>>48808
Google that shit. It's skype. I don't see why it hasn't died yet other than people being too lazy to move.
>>
>>48705
hey this doesnt apply to skype at all im new to 4chan but how the hell do you make those greentext?
>>
Discord sounds like your best option.
>>
>>49218
Lurk more. Please. Just fucking sit back and watch others for a while before posting.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.