[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know PHP, HTML5, little C#, little Python, and CSS. What would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Coiled_Galaxy.jpg (1 MB, 2056x2056) Image search: [Google]
Coiled_Galaxy.jpg
1 MB, 2056x2056
I know PHP, HTML5, little C#, little Python, and CSS. What would be a good computer science project for these languages? Following the scientific method. If n/a, then please provide a project that is easy to do with computer science involved. Thanks for the help :).

Timespan: 15 days
>>
>>40581
add JavaScript to that list first off. It just helps hella ton.

I guess you could make a web app with accompanying website, but in 15 days, you wont be able to get much done unless you you spend your entire day at it.
>>
>>40820
How would I apply a web application to the scientific method. Also 15 days is not a problem as I have plenty of free-time to get it done.
>>
>>40581
Grab a flac version of some song, extract a sample and reencode it to vorbis/aac at different bitrates. Then make an app to perform ABX testing on those encodes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABX_test

This relates to the scientific method in that it is a double-blind test (neither you, the tester, nor the person taking the test will know the correct answers until the test is over and the app presents the result).

You can do this with php and html5 only, but it's much easier if you use javascript. What you'd do is: have both sources at hand, randomly select one of the sources to be X, then create three <audio> elements for A, B and the X you selected. Below that, show two buttons, "A" and "B" and wait for the user to listen to all samples and select his answer. Once clicked, check the answer, increment either the correct or incorrect count and select a new random X. After the user has performed the desired number of repetitions (e.g. 10), destroy the audio elements and buttons and show him the result (e.g. 60% correct answers).
>>
>>41288
Bumping this in hopes of OP seeing it.
>>
>>41288
That's the scientific method, but nothing in that is CS.

Lossy compression and psychoacoustic modelling is AI, I guess, but AI is not CS either, and everything else is just programming.
>>
>>41789
Hm, I see your point. I had understood the original question to mean "what would be an easy project related to the scientific method for my CS class?" If the requirements are to produce an actual computer science paper, then I guess OP would have to mainly do math instead of programming. Then submit it for peer-review so it would follow the scientific method.

Maybe implement different sorting algorithms and measure how fast they sort the same inputs. If you do lots of measurements and produce some nice graphs with averages and standard deviations, that should look sciencey enough. Then talk about the time complexity of each algorithm, and that should look pretty computer sciencey.
>>
>>41848
Thanks for the reply! I think it's a great suggestion. It doesn't necessarily have to be CS involved. I just rather do that, but your take does sound interesting. I'll try it out :).
>>
>>41848
Linux is really good for this.

You can hack the memory allocator, or the scheduler, or one of the many types of locking, and then test it scientifically with real-world workloads.
>>
>>42162
Cool, I'm glad you liked it. Good luck.
>>
>>42221
Seems pretty challenging just by reading it, but I'll try it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.