[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm very stupid and don't know.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 1453894980743.jpg (179 KB, 560x373) Image search: [Google]
1453894980743.jpg
179 KB, 560x373
There are 3 people in my house who use laptops.
In my room there is the router/modem.

Would it be better for me to always be hooked to the router via the ethernet cable or does it not matter. Does me using the internet wirelessly or through the ethernet cable affect the relative speed of the 2 other people in my house.

For sake of communal efficiency, what would be the best for the 2 people who are always on wifi, should I be on the wifi too or plug in via ethernet cable.
>>
Not really, not. Wifi provides latency and raw throughput about as good as a cable connection.

What is the speed of the ISP you subscribed to?
>>
>>45573
I have Charter Spectrum 60mps
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
>Does me using the internet wirelessly or through the ethernet cable affect the relative speed of the 2 other people in my house.
Yes it does. Your connection is 60Mbps and must be rationed amongst users.

Problem is most routers do not have a good QoS so the connection speed is never equally allocated. So this means if one person is downloading at 60Mbps then the other users will get extremely slow internet or none at all no matter if everyone is on wifi or using Ethernet cables.

So best you can do is upgrade to faster internet if people begin having connection problems because somebody decided that downloading hundreds of torrents at once on a shared internet connection was a good idea. On that note tell people to only download something one at a time especially torrents.

I've had this problem with my family who connects to the same router via wifi and we all just gave up and bought a 200mbps connection. Now everything is crack cocaine fast no matter how many users are on.
>>
>60Mbps for 3 users
ouch. Make sure everyone has Chrome installed. That saves a fuckton of bandwidth used for youtube. 1080p VP9 streams on youtube are like ~2 Mbps and only download at 8-16 Mbps max.
>>
>>45585
I don't know, maybe it's 100mps - is there a way to check? I know it's either 60 or 100.

My mom just surfs the web reading articles for 3 hours max per day.
Brother streams youtube and whatnot.
I just use imageboards and watch 360p youtube clips.
>>
>>45594
Go to:

http://testmy.net/download

Select manual 100MB and post screenshot of test result.
>>
>>45594
Sounds like you have enough for everyone. 60mbps can easily be shared with huge room to spare even on wifi.
>>
File: download (1).png (199 KB, 1287x666) Image search: [Google]
download (1).png
199 KB, 1287x666
>>45599
Alright.
While doing the test all 3 people in my house are online btw.
>>
>>45605
Looks like you have the 60Mbps connection and total load is around 50%. That's very good. Everyone can connect to wifi and there should be no problems whatsoever.
>>
File: 0 (1982).jpg (57 KB, 724x580) Image search: [Google]
0 (1982).jpg
57 KB, 724x580
>>45609
thank you
i feel like a million bucks
>>
>>45613
np senpai, glad we could help
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.