[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey I want to upgrade my PC but I'm kinda lost here. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: GPUCPU.png (19 KB, 501x424) Image search: [Google]
GPUCPU.png
19 KB, 501x424
Hey
I want to upgrade my PC but I'm kinda lost here. It's about the CPU & the GPU mostly. I want to avoid to get a new motherboard so I want to find out what CPU/GPUs I'm able to get.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-S%20UCC/index.asp?cat= This is my motherboard and pic related are my current PC specs. I already ordered a 4GB RAM stick because the other stick died earlier this week.
Since I want to use my PC for 3D modelling/sculpting/rendering I want to buy a new CPU and GPU for that.
So how do I find out what GPUs/CPUs are compatible with it? Can you guys recommend me specific GPUs/CPUs for 3D work? Should I also upgrade my RAM further, is that even possible with my motherboard?
Thanks in advance.
>>
I'm fairly certain that ALL modern GPU's will work with ALL motherboards that possess a PCI express slot, which appears to be the case with your motherboard's model. So you shouldn't worry too much about the GPU being compatible; chances are that it will be.

The real issue comes in with the CPU being compatible with the mobo (motherboard). CPU's and mobos have "socket types". If the CPU's socket type isn't compatible with the mobo's socket, it simply wont fit. Your mobo's model is compatible with AM3 or AM2+ or AM2 socket processors. Any processor will do as long as it is one of those sockets. If you're unsure of the socket of the processor you want to get, you can find the info on newegg.com.

Lastly, I don't think you need to upgrade RAM, but I don't know much about how intensive 3D work is. 4GB is *okay* for most video games and 8GB is comfy in my opinion. If that helps. RAM is one of those things that if you need to upgrade it later, you can do it at any time. It's pretty flexible hardware. Your motherboard looks like it has 2 slots for DDR2 RAM and 2 slots for DDR3 RAM. I'm pretty sure DDR3 has a better performance/cost ratio so get that if you decide to upgrade it.

Hope I helped. Good luck upgrading!

TLDR; Any GPU is fine, get a CPU with an AM3 or AM2+ or AM2 socket, you probably don't need to upgrade RAM but you can if you want to
>>
>>36779
>Lastly, I don't think you need to upgrade RAM, but I don't know much about how intensive 3D work is.
You sure don't.

16GB is considered a bare minimum for *learning* Maya; if you want to do actual work you'll want 32 or 64, and ideally a dual-socket board so you can get 128.
>>
>>36795
Holy shit, Holmes. That's a lot of RAM.

>>36632
My apologies to the OP for misinformation.
>>
>>36779
Thanks ALOT for the detailed explanation man! You really helped me out there.
I'll probably try to upgrade the GPU first and after a while I'll get a new motherboard with all other parts.
>>36795
Thanks for the Info, so I have to replace the motherboard after all if I really want to get into 3D.

Thanks again, you two are based.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.