[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help-- every time I walk away from my Win10 computer for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: win10.jpg (29 KB, 618x565) Image search: [Google]
win10.jpg
29 KB, 618x565
Please help-- every time I walk away from my Win10 computer for more than 5 minutes, when I come back it's so slow that I have to hard reboot it. ctr-alt-del doesn't work, so I can't even see what's happening.

This started happening sometime around last Friday. I did not install any new programs around that time.

Only workaround I've found is to run youtube videos. Really annoying having to play videos every time I want to go take a dump or feed the cats.

I thought it might be due to a recent windows update, but according to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates, no updates were installed since January 16th, well before this started happening.

I've tried to google this problem but can't find anything (google is a useless mess now, I find....)

Any ideas?
>>
Whatever it is, it only activates when your computer is inactive. That's why playing videos keeps it from happening. Do you have any programs set up to run when things are inactive, such as an automatic virus scan, derangementer, screen saver, "turn off screen after x minutes," anything you can remember?
>>
>>43004
Check your task manager. It might be the Disk Usage 100% bug. See if the Disk Usage is abnormally high.
>>
>>43007
No, in fact I had removed all such things back when one of windows 10's updates caused my disk usage to sky rocket (I think that was in November or December.)

>>43009
I am familiar with what you are talking about, and yes, it's very similar to when that happened in the past, apparently caused by some Win10 updates, which Microsoft fixed with later updates.

I did happen to get Task Manager to open a few days ago when this was happening, and Disk Usage was indeed at 100%, even though none of the processes listed were using more than 1%.

How does one fix this Disk Usage Bug?
>>
>>43014
It can have multiple causes.
Type "Windows 10 100% disk usage" on youtube, you'll get lots of methods.
I'd advise you to try the superfetch method first.
>>
>>43019
>I'd advise you to try the superfetch method first.
Funny, I just clicked a vid for that.
Ok, here's hoping I find a solution. Just odd that one day this was not a problem, then suddenly it is. I really hate Win10, wish I never "upgraded" to it.
>>
I thought when your computer's inactive win10 basically uses your computer to seed for people downloading it?
>>
>>43042
You can disable this option in your settings though.
>>
File: 1419986450125.jpg (30 KB, 524x336) Image search: [Google]
1419986450125.jpg
30 KB, 524x336
>>43048
Yeah, I disabled that back in the summer when I first got Win10.

>>43019
So I went through the steps in a vid about shutting off Superfetch (and a couple of similar services)-- you know, I am 100% sure I did this before. In fact, when I opened regedit, it was already focused on the Superfetch crap.

So at some point, some how, Windows 10 re-enabled Superfetch and those other services to run automatically... Am I going to have to go through this process every month or so?

Have I mentioned that Win10 infuriates me?
>>
>>43004
symptoms of the cryptolocker/cryptowall virus when its encrypting all your files.
>>
File: Capture Jan. 26 23.21.jpg (101 KB, 905x628) Image search: [Google]
Capture Jan. 26 23.21.jpg
101 KB, 905x628
>>43105
>cryptolocker/cryptowall virus
Um... would 3 instances of "Console Windows Host" also be a symptom? They closed themselves right after I took the screen capture here.

This time disk usage did recover back to a normal level after about 5 minutes of me trying to open Chrome.

Also, wtf is Microsft Skype doing there? I was unaware I even had skype. I hope I can remove that garbage.
>>
File: Capture B Jan. 26 23.24.jpg (115 KB, 984x661) Image search: [Google]
Capture B Jan. 26 23.24.jpg
115 KB, 984x661
>>43158
Whoa, I had the column sorted wrong in that pic, here's the next screen cap I took, as I was trying to open Chrome (so not sure if "Console Windows Hosts" closed or I just didn't realize they were sorted to the bottom.)
>>
Problem is still happening after disabling superfetch, though not as bad (pc speeds back ub about 5 minutes after I come back and click around)... so something really must be running whenever I walk away from my computer, and slowly shuts down again when I come back.

I can't figure out what it is. Anyone else have ideas?
>>
Disable auto-sleep in your settings. Microsoft implemented some shady seeding-type shit to assist people downloading Win10 with this iteration of Windows, and it only activates when you're not actively using the computer. Either disable auto-sleep, or manually put your computer to sleep when you step away (there are shortkey commands you can set for a quick lock). This should prevent this from happening.
>>
File: 1453918103183.jpg (55 KB, 482x569) Image search: [Google]
1453918103183.jpg
55 KB, 482x569
>>43809
>>
>>43009
Not OP but having the same problem. Didn't know this was a thing.
>>
Currently having a similar problem with Windows 10, but with additional symptoms.
I have no icons on my task bar, no clock, no nothing.
Windows 10 came pre-installed.
What do
>>
>>44134
>>43833
Note that you're just shooting yourself in the foot if you turn it full-off, because that makes every computer you own download the same update from the internet.

The ideal setting is On, "PCs on the same network".
>>
op here--

>>43833
I've had set that to off since I first got Win10. It's still off.

>>44137
I only have one comp so that doesn't matter.

>>43809
I checked, sleep is already disabled...

Sooo... I guess I'll try the workaround of putting my comp to sleep every time I walk away.

Even if that works, I'd love to know wtf is going on... I know it sounds paranoid, but I have a strong suspicion it's some kind of Win10 sanctioned spyware running.
>>
>>44134
Yeah, their are a lot of shit going on with it, including memory and cpu usage bug.
>>
>>43024
Nothing stopping you from freeing yourself, bruv. You hate it, so get rid of it.
If you're going to go back to a previous version of Windows just disable Windows Update, download a third part security fix patch if you're paranoid and call it a day.
>>
>>44636
>third part security fix patch
Can you suggest one or were to learn about such things?
>>
>>44672
They existed for Windows XP once upon a time and frankly that was the last time I gave a fuck. (Linuxfag running unpatched Vista for games, Windows security isn't much of a concern to me.) Sorry, all I can suggest is Googling an update pack that does not use Windows Update. I'm positive such things would still exist for Windows 7.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.