[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel as though this board is retarded because I doubt a majority
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: 1453748060517.jpg (65 KB, 733x538) Image search: [Google]
1453748060517.jpg
65 KB, 733x538
I feel as though this board is retarded because I doubt a majority of people would have that great of a passion for any specific artistic medium, but I'll ask here anyway.

What are some games that are appealing on a philosophical level? Especially if they actually have gameplay.
>>
File: 1453760403310.jpg (612 KB, 1500x1094) Image search: [Google]
1453760403310.jpg
612 KB, 1500x1094
>>42065
This being a good example, by the way. Meant to upload this.
>>
Shadow of the Colossus
>>
>>42083
What was so philosophical about shadow of the colossus? It seemed pretty straight forward and surface level. It's a meme game, really.
>>
>>42089
You gave Majoras Mask as an example and thats pretty much what I thought about it so I gave you a game I thought you might find just as philosophical based off of that.
>>
You are currently browsing this board and therefore I feel you are retarded and I doubt you would have that great of a passion for any specific medium.
>>
>>42094
Majora's mask has legit 10 page essays on interpretations of it's meanings and messages, SotC has, well... none.

>>42095
Context matters, friend. I'm here because apparently, it's against the rules to ask this somewhere where someone WOULD have great passion for their favorite artistic medium ala vidya: /v/.

Meanwhile, /wsr/ is a one-size-fits-all retard logic board for the mediocre that those who have passion come to because they have no other place to go.
>>
>>42089
>It's a meme game
nice b8
>>
>>42095
And to add to this point, I asked for a philosophically stimulating vidya and presented majora's mask as an example, and then was responded to with Shadow of the Colossus because the person who either knows about it or has played it believes there's nothing particularly philosophical about Majora's Mask. That's pure ignorance, something likely found in one-size-fits-all communities. It's like bullies and nerds colluding. Pure retardation.
>>
File: Games Bad Art.jpg (1001 KB, 1000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Games Bad Art.jpg
1001 KB, 1000x2000
>>42099
It's a meme game in the sense that people think it's "art" because "it's pretty" and it has a shallow yet emotional narrative. Being a meme game doesn't make it bad, Okami is a fucking 9.9/10 game.
>>
>>42097
>>42100
>I'm here because I have nowhere else to go but I'm better than those who are here because they have nowhere else to go
looks like you'll fit right in buddy
>>
>>42102
>>42102
Hasn't it been one year since this board's creation and yet it still has less than 50k posts?
>>
>>42097
Holy fuck anon you're such a pretentious douche.
When I play through Majora's Mask, I feel sad. I say "What a depressing game." Almost everything sans side-sidequests is explained in a pretty straightforward manner even if you have to look for the stories yourself. Some things are left to the imagination, but there's very little to ask about. The game is about solving mysteries, but you don't ask any deeper questions about the main villain. You say "What a cunt," and maybe "Is that kid even in control right now?" but everyone is brought to justice and it's an all's well that ends well type deal.
When I played Shadow of the Colossus, I thought a lot of things. I thought "Who is this god? Why is he so forbidden? Why aren't these titans attacking me? What's happening to the boy?" and that's because the game is designed to make you question these things.

Anyway, Majora's Mask is the absolute definition of a meme game and you have to be 18+ to browse this website.
>>
What do you mean by philosophical? Like, in terms of its story? Typically passion for a medium is concerned more with its formal aspects. You won't find many who can point you towards explicitly philosophical writing in video games, but you'll be able to find folks who'll talk on end about ludic narratives in the Souls series or Kojima's subversion of the player's expectations in Metal Gear Solid 2.

The thing with philosophy is that it influences works of art without really being explicit. Your best bet if you're interested in philosophy is to learn it yourself and use it as a lens for your own experiences. Make sense?
>>
File: RFBl6NU.png (44 KB, 127x164) Image search: [Google]
RFBl6NU.png
44 KB, 127x164
>>42113
>When I played Shadow of the Colossus, I thought a lot of things. I thought "Who is this god? Why is he so forbidden? Why aren't these titans attacking me? What's happening to the boy?" and that's because the game is designed to make you question these things.

You call me pretentious and then proceeded to post tenuous examples like this.
>>
>>42100
Whether or not Majoras Mask is "philisophical" is completely up to you. There is no deeper meaning to it other than what you and the fan theory community gIves it. It's a fucking kids game and saying it absolutely has a deeper philisophical meaning is the only thing ignorant here. SotC can be just as "philosophical" if you want it to be. To show this point, there are plenty of theories and analysis on SotC on the internet if you actually look for them.
>>
>>42117
>What do you mean by philosophical? Like, in terms of its story?

You think philosophy will be expressed through individual music, graphics, and gameplay? Holy shit.

Even shitty anime like Evangelion parrots sigmund fraud's philosophy.
>>
>>42121
>It's a fucking kids game
opinion discarded
>>
>>42065
>games that are appealing on a philosophical level?
You're the retarded one
>>
>>42119
Please tell me how asking basic questions about the setting in a game devoid of dialogue outside of the exposition and denouement is pretentious you wannabe Neoshitter.
>>
>>42126
See? One-size-fits-all community strikes again!

I'm done, I think this is objectively the worst board on 4chan.

Even worse than /mu/.

I'm gonna fuck off back to /lit/, see you all in therapy!
>>
>>42122
Yes? Concepts can be expressed through non-linguistic means. What's Evangelion got to do with anything? My primary concern with people looking for philosophy outside of actual writings by philosophers is that the term itself is quite nebulous. I reckon OP's knowledge of philosophy is very shallow, so is he actually looking for tangible concepts manifested in video games? Or does he want art or experimental games? Or does he want "deep plots"?
>>
>>42125
He's still right even if he used the wrong points.
Majora's Mask explores themes of death, but that doesn't really make it exceptionally philosophical. It's one of those cases where pretentious "le games are art :^)" fags can't see the forest for the trees.

Same thing happens to Evangelion and it's the most thematically straightforward anime I've ever seen.
>>
I hope everyone realizes that OP was just trolling.
>>
File: all is explained.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
all is explained.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
>>42129
>/lit/
>>
>>42065
The Beginner's Guide
>>
>>42152
If we're taking the thread seriously, then Papers, Please as well.
>>
>>42065
Bioshock.

It's simultaneously an introduction to philosophy (and economics!) and an interactive demonstration of something I'm not going to tell you because [spoiler] tags don't work here.
>>
>>42177
Collectivism is only a good idea to brainwashed college kiddies.
>>
>>42065
Talos principle and deus ex come to mind
>>
The souls games, specifically Dark souls and Bloodborne.
>>
Thanks for showing up to posture and up everyone in their place, OP. We're not worthy and would suck your dick/10.
>>
>>42065

- To the moon
- The Beginner's guide
- FEZ
- Antichamber
- Dota 2 (cause we're retarded, right ?)
>>
>>42179
The series is a discussion on the matter. Bioshock 2 is the counterpoint to Bioshock's point.
>>
>>42187
>Talos
this
>>
File: lll.jpg (82 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
lll.jpg
82 KB, 620x348
Silent Hill 2
>>
>>42094
This is exactly what I thought.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.