[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me please.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: asdf.jpg (27 KB, 274x206) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
27 KB, 274x206
Pic related. I need the length of that cathetus. We know R, alfa and that the second triangle is right angled. The problem is that I don't know a formula for the length of that side that unites the triangles. I know pythagoras theorem but first I need that length.
>>
sin α * R = x (the side shared by both triangles)

if you haven't done trig functions yet, it should be possible to solve with pythagoras though, since it's isoceles. just imagine the hight above the unknown side which splits the upper triangle it into two mirrored right-angled triangles with angles 90°, α/2 and 180-90-α/2 and with hypothenuse R, height h and x/2 as sides.

but something's fishy, i think you can't really solve the problem. you would need two sides to apply pythagoras on the lower triangle. otherwise there are infinite variants of right-angled triangles. every point on a half-circle above a line (center = mid point, radius = half the length) completes into a right-angled triangle. some more angles would also help, but you need *something* more...
>>
>>39683
as >>39694 said you can't solve it with the informations given.

If you draw a circle with diameter = x (the common side) then every point on the circle gives you a right triangle with the end points of the common side x.

There is some missing information.
>>
File: Untitled.png (24 KB, 1133x393) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
24 KB, 1133x393
I need the height from B to ground level
>>
>>39733
okay, that should help. the ground is a tangent to the circle in point A.
>>
>>39694
>sin α * R = x
I doubt that
it is R * sqrt( 2 - 2cosa )
>law of cosines
>>
>>39683
OP here, i figure it out, i forgot that R is Perpendicular on the ground. the height=2R sin^2(alfa/2)
>>
i have one more problem, my teacher solved it like this: h=R(1-cos(alfa)). so i need a formula from h=2R sin^2(alfa/2) to that.
>>
File: 1453550663538e.png (51 KB, 532x488) Image search: [Google]
1453550663538e.png
51 KB, 532x488
>>
>>39745
>>39749
ok my h is your g.
>>
File: 1.jpg (248 KB, 1700x2340) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
248 KB, 1700x2340
>>39683
faggot op
>>
>>39756
thanks anon.
>>
File: 2.jpg (112 KB, 1275x1755) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
112 KB, 1275x1755
>>39760
your welcome
>>
File: 5YiM1FC.png (389 KB, 500x574) Image search: [Google]
5YiM1FC.png
389 KB, 500x574
>>39762
Damn, I got your/you're mixed up. Here's a cutie to fix my mistake
>>
Let M be the center of the circle with radius R.
Draw a perpendicular line from B to AM and you see that the radius R is subdivided into two parts: The height h and a segment which has length R cos alpha .

=> h = R - R cos alpha = R(1 - cos alpha)
>>
>>39774
Thanks a lot! It's easier than this:
>>39756
>>39762
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.