[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to teach myself math. Got stuck... Any help?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: tmp.png (25 KB, 603x478) Image search: [Google]
tmp.png
25 KB, 603x478
Trying to teach myself math.
Got stuck...
Any help?
>>
Well, what you have looks good. The 1/n becomes "dx", and you can write n/(n+i) as 1/(1+i/n), and the i/n becomes "x", so perhaps you get something like [math] \int_0^1 1/(1+x)\, dx = \log(2) [/math]
>>
File: tmp2.png (20 KB, 647x289) Image search: [Google]
tmp2.png
20 KB, 647x289
>>26956
Thank you, that's what I did.
>>
>>26939
>harmonic numbers
That's what the question is asking, but it's not the intended solution.

I think that the question can be solved using the integral of 1/x.

You will find the summands as a Riemann-sum of the function 1/x in the interval [n;2n+1] using unit-length intervals and function values at the left margin. This sum is greater than the integral of (1/x) between n and 2n+1.

Since int (1/x) dx = ln(x) + c you obtain that the sum is greater than ln(2n+1) - ln(n) > ln(2n) - ln(n) = ln(2) + ln(n) - ln(n) = ln(2).

The limes is therefore greater or equal to ln(2).

The second inequality can perhaps be done similarly taking a Rieman sum that is smaller than the integral of 1/x.
>>
>>26974
too late
>>
>>26974
useful none the less
>>
>>26974
I suppose you could do the same bounding procedure using 1/(1+x) as well, to make the whole process more rigorous.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.