[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /wsr/ I can't say I'm the best with knowing the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: GPU.png (782 KB, 934x595) Image search: [Google]
GPU.png
782 KB, 934x595
Hello /wsr/ I can't say I'm the best with knowing the name of the cords on a PC, so I was hoping you could help me out. I've recently gotten a GPU and I need to power it, but I don't have the correct cables to do so. Any idea on what cord(s) I would need?
>>
You'll need a new power supply if your current one doesn't have the ATX you need.
>>
>>26047
Those are called "PCIe power connectors".

You can get adaptors from the hard disk power connectors, but beware: these connectors are on the graphics card in the first place because it needs a shitload of power.

Look on your power supply, and see how many amps it gives at 12v. Your motherboard is already using ~6 through the cpu connector, and providing the card with 6 through the extra pins on the ATX-24 connector*. Each six-pin connector on the card needs another 6 amps; each eight-pin connector another 12.

The only real use for these adapters is if you have a 600w or more power supply out an old server that is still beefy as fuck, but never had PCIe connectors.

* If you have an ATX-20 plugged into this, your card will not work.
>>
File: IGAiaOq.png (42 KB, 576x460) Image search: [Google]
IGAiaOq.png
42 KB, 576x460
>>26172
Would this help to see if my GPU would work? I do have a 600watt supply, like I don't have the cord right now. So I can't test if it would work.
>>
>>26047
Looks like 1x 6-pin + 1x 8-pin
>>
>>26258
By my math (and considering only 12v):

CPU = 7a
Core logic = 2a
HDD = 2.5a
GPU = 27a

Total = 38.5a/462w

Remaining on main rail = 600 - 462 = 138w

Your PSU is rated to 46a on its one 12v rail, which is sufficient. Its 5v/3.3v is rated to 130w, so the load you're placing on the 12v rail does not diminish the main rail's ability to feed the 5v/3.3v rail. Just.

Make sure you use all your PSU's cables. Running splitters and adapters off of one single wire may overload it. According to its manual, your PSU already has PCIe power connectors; just find them and plug them in. If you have two PCIe wires, use two PCIe wires. If a wire has two plugs on the end, that's just so it can plug into two types of sockets; don't plug both in to the same card.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.