[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Country codes/roaming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
Just wondering if any anons can answer a question I have about country codes/mobile roaming.

Have a mobile number of someone I'm trying to get in touch with. They're foreign and their number is from their home country. But they're currently abroad living where I'm from.

So if I was to try and call them would I use my country code followed by their foreign number or what?

Any insight would be much appreciated:)
>>
>>36049
On a mobile, you enter "+ cc xxx nnnnnnn", where + is an actual key on the keypad that says "+", cc is the country code, xxx is their local area code without the number on the front that tells their local exchange that it's a local call, and nnnnnnn is their phone number.

Concrete example, if they're in the USA and their phone number is "555 1234567", you'd enter "+01 555 1234567". If they're in the UK and their phone number is "01506 484777", you'd dial "+44 1506 484777".

If you're on a snailphone, you do the same except you dial yor international escape prefix instead of the +, which is usually something like "00".
>>
>>36049
In your case, you'd be billed an international call to whatever country their number is from, and they'd be billed international roaming to wherever they actually are.

Unless they're on Three, where roaming is completely free.
>>
>>36056
Thanks for the help mate, much appreciated.

So basically it doesn't matter where they are originally from, in order to contact them I would enter the country code of whatever country they are currently in?
>>
>>36058
The country code of whatever country their mobile number is from.

Their telephone provider handles getting the call to wherever they've roamed to.

If they've bought a local SIM instead of roaming, they'll have a new number with a local country code.

Consider using something like Skype, because roaming and international charges can be expensive, particularly on cheap contracts.
>>
>>36054
This is irrelevent.

>>36056
This is correct, though poorly explained. To call them you'd need to dial their number like they were at home. Their mobile network will know they are roaming and forward the call to the appropriate network.

Example; You are British, you're friend is visiting and roaming from America. To dial your friend, you'd need to use +1 123 456789. The call will hit your friends home network in the states and forward you on. This is why you turn your voicemail off while roaming as well, call diversions rape the shit out of you (you get charged for the incoming call when the diversion kick in, then you get charged for the outgoing diversion to the voicemail platform, which is technically a call from your number to the home network. That little money spinner might have been regulated into oblivion, but it caused a lot of complaints back when I was working in GSM.
>>
>>36062
This is exactly what I was looking for. Cheers for the lucid explanation, have a good one!
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.