[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC Won't Turn On
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 120752.jpg (53 KB, 599x834) Image search: [Google]
120752.jpg
53 KB, 599x834
My PSU is definitely working and the MOBO is getting power, as the lights of peripherals plugged into USB ports are lit up when I hit the hard switch on the back from off to on. However, when I press the actual boot button, NOTHING happens.

It does this, whenever I disconnect it from power for extended periods of time sometimes. I just moved back to my dorm after Christmas break. Usually it's done doing whatever the fuck it's doing in that "black out" period after like 30 min to an hour.

It's been like 2 and a half hours now, however. Albeit it did sit completely disconnected for quite some time, as usually it's plugged back in immediately once I get back to my dorm. It's about a two hours drive. This time, it sat unplugged for probably an extra 2 and a half hours.

IDK what to do, there's no way anything is wrong with hardware, but IDK what to do. Please help.
>>
File: image.jpg (201 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201 KB, 640x960
>>35878
>Doesn't turn on
>there's no way anything is wrong with hardware
>>
>>35880
It's done this exact same thing before, and it was never a hardware issue.

Someone told me it was something about MOBO battery or something, but it's ALWAYS turned back on again.
>>
>>35882
If it's not hardware, it must be software.

So why don't you try putting a Knoppix DVD in and seeing if it switches on?
>>
>>35884
Disk drive doesn't open dude, it's not a booted PC.

USB drives function though, so power is obviously getting through.

I'm scared
>>
>>35889
So use a paperclip in the eject hole.

We've established that there's nothing wrong with the hardware, so known-good software is certain to fix it.
>>
>>35878
So, if you leave it unplugged for long periods of time, you have to wait some time for it to let you boot?

That's a pretty common PSU issue. A power surge fucked some of its components, and now it does that. If you were to open it up, you'd see how it moves your CPU fan just a little when you press the power button.

Get a new PSU. But as long as you leave it plugged in, you'll be able to use it, but little by little, it will get more annoying, 'til eventually it the same effect will happen whenever you turn off your computer.
>>
>>35905
>So, if you leave it unplugged for long periods of time, you have to wait some time for it to let you boot?
Yes, exactly.

This is good to know. Any PSU recommendations?

Specs are

Intel Core i5
Sapphire R9 280x
8gb DDR3 single channel
124gb SSD
1TB HDD
>>
>>35909
The cheapest new PSU compatible with your card and anything else you need to power you can get.

It's just a PSU.
>>
>>35922
Thank you anon
>>
>>35925
np.

Oh, also, to avoid this happening again, get a UPS.
>>
>>35926
What?
>>
>>35930
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.