[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fansub recommendation request. Which fansubs are good and which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: 1451491950649.jpg (64 KB, 455x628) Image search: [Google]
1451491950649.jpg
64 KB, 455x628
Fansub recommendation request.

Which fansubs are good and which should I absolute avoid. I dont really care about stupid OP song lyrics so its not a big deal if they're not translated.

I tried to lurk /a/ but these people seems like they hate everyone and pretend to rather watch raw. Holy shit that board is useless.
>>
>>23659
you gotta give /a/ time. like every other board, it was better back in the day. The infection from /v/ is spreading there, sadly

Never watch Commie. GG is dead, but never watch them anyway if you are looking for older popular stuff.
I like horrible subs. They do a decent enough job. Coalgirls have a pretty good translation, but their releases tend to be extreme. I'm a fan of THORA too. OZC used to release great stuff if you like mecha, but he takes it down all the time now due to licensing, which is his choice.. I just looked into ADZ but they arent that great : /
>>
>>23663
Thanks for quick reply. How about [FFF] and why are Horriblesubs universally hated? I dont speak any japanese but I can't see that they do a worse job than anybody context wise.
>>
>>23664
It's a maymay. HorribleSubs is just Crunchyroll, and their subs used to be hit and miss.
>>
http://www.crymore.net/category/fansub-review/

This guy >>23663 is a fag.
>>
File: 792251.jpg (720 KB, 3185x1348) Image search: [Google]
792251.jpg
720 KB, 3185x1348
An important caveat that /a/ won't often bring up: many fansub groups have personnel in common, resulting in the fansub niche being called a "cartel". You can't expect widely different results, aside from the occasional wacky translator / typesetter / editor having a giggle.

HorribleSubs is sometimes dismal, but often Just Good Enough (which is all that subs have to be; not brilliant, not wretched). Crunchyroll has so many anime that you're going to go with them a lot of the time -- I dare say most of the time.

Commie's roster of personnel is really large (see first point above), so you can't say they're all bad. I've had good experiences with their Symphogear, for example. I think they just get silly with bad series they don't like that much.

FFF is also good enough. They do a ton of shows too.

Pic is just for humor's sake, don't take it too seriously.
>>
Thanks folks for clearing things up

>>23777
So basically just pick one and it only annoys you if you know a little japanese?
>>
>>23659
Honestly, I don't think any are excruciatingly offensive. Commie is meme-filled, but I'd still take them over HS (just because I have a hard-on for karaoke openings). Something that is important to watch out for is if the sub group dropped the show. So many series on my HD have fansubs for the first 10, then HS for the last 2. It aggravates me to no end.
>>
You'll get differing opinions everywhere.

Crunchyroll is very good. If you're relying on Horriblesubs though, know that some of them are rips from FUNimation, and FUNi's subs are generally very poor (often making errors that actually change the meaning of what characters are saying).

Some fansub groups like to do things like add their own jokes or make unnecessary changes. Crunchy will provide a direct, literal translation most of the time. A group like Underwater or FFF will come along and say something like "well, this joke doesn't really work in English" and will rewrite something in a way that they consider better but that is often what others consider over-localization. Much of the time they are also just doing edits of the Crunchy subs rather than translating it from scratch, so the difference in their subs comes down to a matter of disagreement on translation styles rather than actually fixing mistakes.

Then there are groups like FFF that will actually add their own jokes and even memes just because they want to make a show funnier. I'm sure you can understand why people find this obnoxious.

Basically, if you're worried about translation quality I'd say watch Horriblesubs for Crunchyroll's shows. If you find yourself confused by a lot of what they're saying, consider using different subs that will localize the English a little more.
>>
>>23777
That picture hasn't been relevant for ages. Do any of those sub groups other than Commie even still do shows?
>>
File: Notepad Media Player Codec.jpg (300 KB, 700x1250) Image search: [Google]
Notepad Media Player Codec.jpg
300 KB, 700x1250
>>23803
Well, you might get typos, obviously bad English (see Hadena subs), poorly formatted typesetting (alloneonebiglinewhatthefuck), that sort of thing. Also, colored font (pink, purple, etc.), if you don't like that sort of thing.

Also, bad encoding. I don't know too much about that, though.

>>23814
As I said, for humor's sake.
>>
>>23817
Yeah that. I was watching Love Live with [FFF] and they got fucked up fonts when translate song lyrics. Kinda annoying. Good thing the lyrics suck anyway and I'd rather watch them dance and shake their asses.
>>
>>23813
People tend to exaggerate how bad Funi's translations are. Only some of them are actually bad most are just fine.
>>
>>23814
I miss eclipse even if they were shit : I

>>23803
if you dont know much nihongo then it wont really matter. Just find one with the least memes in a font you can stand. When you start to watch a lot of anime you'll care then, and at that point i'd suggest just following various groups blogs/sites and such.
>>23813
>over localization
Yes, this makes me rage.
>>23777
your point on HS is the most valid comment in the whole thread.
>>
>>23843
Something else to note is that a key feature of fansubs is the typesetting. I find Funi and CR perfectly acceptable, but I really appreciate when a group goes the extra mile and typesets signs, menus, and billboards.
>>
Some good fansub groups that are generally trustworthy: Doki, Chihiro, Cthuko, Asenshi, m.3.3.w., DameDesuYo, Caffeine. If I see one of these groups is subbing a show I will generally pick them up. They're varying levels of dead though since fansubbing in general is dying. Some of them also work pretty slow.

Commie is actually pretty good. The heavy backlash they got for their trollsubs has made them generally clean up their act. Great typesetting.

I wouldn't really bother with anything by Vivid, Underwater, or FFF.
>>
>>23901
Yeah no. Stay clear of Commie.
>>
>>23901
Cthuko is strange. A lot of their stuff is stuck in purgatory, but they keep us updated at which stage it's at.

>>23659
tbqh OP, what >>23906 said. People really do value different things in their subs, and it all comes down to preference.
>>
>>23914
Their Shirobako subs were really good. They did a great job translating industry lingo, for instance.
>>
>>23664
>why are Horriblesubs universally hated?
The translations are mostly passable, but that's only because they're directly ripping from professional translators who translate for a living (ie. Crunchyroll).

The real issue is the lack of quality.

They are direct rips. Meaning that the audio & video don't come from a clean source (such as TV, DVD, or Blu-Ray). They come directly off of Crunchyroll's streamer.

Text placement is also wonky. Translations for signs aren't always on the signs. Sometimes they're at the top of the screen, or at the bottom with the spoken dialogue.
>>
>>23901
>Doki is trustworthy
>Underwater, FFF, and Vivid are all bad
Is this bait, or are you visiting from bizzaro world?
>>
>>23663
OZC is pretty mediocre in my experience. Their typesetting is always in plain Arial, and their encoding is a bit basic. Commie and GG used to be pretty good when they actually tried and weren't fucking around, but now GG is dead, and Commie just re-words Crunchyroll translations by overly localizing it. Coalgirls should only be downloaded if there aren't any other options, considering how bloated their filesizes always are.
>>
Ignore this guy >>23663 He has no idea what he's talking about.
>>
>>24358
He's just fallen for memes. And doesn't actually understand what it means to translate something.
>>
>>23659
Don't bother with fansubs, most of them are just edits of official subs and they all like to toss in unwelcome memes for some reason. HorribleSubs is good because despite their name they're literally just unchanged rips of the official subs from Crunchyroll and stuff.
>>
All the good fansubs are dead.
>Eclipse
>UTW
>Mazui
>ANBU
>etc.

Doki and Chihiro have a long history of sucking, and I have no idea how they've survived this long.

DameDesuYo's earlier work is solid, but they slowly grew cancerous over time. Same with FFF. When FFF isn't being shitty, they're usually slow.

As a rule, gg and Commie fuck around for average shows. Their fansubs are complete and utter shit for typical one-cour shows. The only time they don't fuck around is when it's a series they like. So gg's subs are okay if you're watching Kara no Kyoukai or Hidamari Sketch. Commie's work mostly sucks unless it's Space Brothers.

Underwater generally does a decent job with subbing, but their biggest problem is that they'll drop shows after two episodes.

Flax is good, but they're incredibly slow.
>>
>>24425
>what it means to translate something

You mean like "Shiver me timbers" or "Gotta go fast?"
>>
>>24481
>Underwater generally does a decent job with subbing, but their biggest problem is that they'll drop shows after two episodes.

Underwater ALWAYS uses the official script. The world would lose nothing if they did not exist, because the subs are already out there. I believe this is true of Flax as well.

I think it's kind of pathetic that some of these groups don't even do their own translation yet still manage to be unbelievably fucking slow. I have no respect for fansubbers anymore, because they have no respect for anime.
>>
I always go for SubDESU
>>
>>24555
To be fair, anyone who extracts copyrighted materials from foreign TV stations, slaps half-assed translations on them, and circumvents copyright law by means international distribution generally get into this gig knowing that they won't be respected.
>>
This is a sample of gg's "fansubbing."

There is no one named Ralph in Kobato. The guy's name is Katsuragi.
>>
File: 100da2cfbe8779f4d1d2f1825cdef7df.png (946 KB, 1253x1770) Image search: [Google]
100da2cfbe8779f4d1d2f1825cdef7df.png
946 KB, 1253x1770
How about Hiryuu subs?
>>
Just learn Japanese and watch it raw faggot

not that hard
>>
>>23663
Commie is good for *gatari, horriblesubs is shit. Also for Mermaid.
Theyre a hit or miss, with a low batting average
>>
>>24481
DameDesuYo did a great job on Gakkou Gurashi last year.
>>
>>24646
They didn't do such a good job with Junketsu no Maria and Denpa Kyoushi.

Although, in their defense, Denpa Kyoushi was hardly worth dedicating any effort to. I don't blame them for dropping it.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.