[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reccommend me a good sci-fi anime
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8
File: NSA+windows.jpg (155 KB, 749x1024) Image search: [Google]
NSA+windows.jpg
155 KB, 749x1024
To me the most important aspects are world building, art and the philosophical ideas expressed by the work. I have seen the most common and acclaimed ones. I especially liked Nausaicaä, Shinsekai Yori, NGE, Lain, Planetes, Scy Crawlers and especially disliked Steins Gate and GITS: SAC. Can you recommend me some lesser known or under rated sci-fi animus?
>>
File: 1276055332998.jpg (64 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1276055332998.jpg
64 KB, 640x480
>>23585
>my sophisticated animes
I'm pretty sure the explanation will be extremely painful to read but fuck it: why did you dislike Ghost in the Shell?
>>
File: smuganimeface.png (165 KB, 777x656) Image search: [Google]
smuganimeface.png
165 KB, 777x656
>>23588
The films were interesting but the series felt like it had nothing more to say that had not been said better in the films.
>>
File: 1444260515914.jpg (2 MB, 2800x3000) Image search: [Google]
1444260515914.jpg
2 MB, 2800x3000
>>23590
That is a pretty unfortunate opinion you've got there, mate. Whereas the movie excelled in being short and sweet, it focused solely on the idea of an AI awakening. This has already been done to death in case you weren't aware. A shame that you didn't find the series engaging or thought-provoking in it's two seasons of awesomeness.

Anyway, your recommendations:
>Gunbuster
(this one is from the creator of NGE and has a unexpected sci-fi vibe about it. It's only six episodes long but you have six more if you care to watch the spiritual successor Diebuster afterwards)
>Patlabor
>Bubblegum Crisis
>Mobile Suit Gundam
(pic related)
>Space Battleship Yamato
(you can stick to the 2010 version)
>Legend of the Galactic Heroes
(more political than sci-fi but very good nonetheless)

These should keep you entertained for a while.
>>
File: 1448575617004.jpg (427 KB, 898x2895) Image search: [Google]
1448575617004.jpg
427 KB, 898x2895
>>23590
Also, a guide to LotGH. Have fun, kiddo.
>>
>>23605
Space Battleship Yamato was great fun, good tip. I have irrationally shied away from most mecha series so I have not watched Gundam, should do it I suppose. I will check out the others as well.
>>
>>23605
>patlabor
>Bubblegum
>gunbuster

Yep. that's a good list. Add Kaiba if you havent seen it.
>>
>>23585
Angel's Egg
Ergo Proxy
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (inb4 not SF)
Real Drive
Shin Sekai Yori
>>
>>23677
>Real Drive looks interesting

Have already seen the others except Jinrui
>>
>>23585
disliked SG, rly
>>
Have you seen Dennou Coil? Won't scratch your philosophical itch but it has great world-building, art and emotional depth.
>>
>>23774
OTP
>>
>>23785
>Dennou Coil

That's more than good enough. I will check it out!
>>
File: 1413288195539.png (1 MB, 1065x902) Image search: [Google]
1413288195539.png
1 MB, 1065x902
>>23624
>I have irrationally shied away from most mecha series so I have not watched Gundam, should do it I suppose.
Do it. The first two series are very good, in my opinion. But watch LotGH and /pol/ your life up.

If you have to ease yourself into mecha, just give Gunbuster a try. It's pretty awesome and only six episodes long. You can skip Diebuster.
>>
VOTOMs is probably the hardest sci-fi anime ever made
>>
>>23585
Texhnolyze
>>
>>24438
I started to watch it but never got into it, will give it another shot.
>>
Psycho Pass is one of my favourite sci-fi thriller animes to have come out in recent years. Lots of themes about justice and good action. Second season and the sequel movie were ok, although they're not essential to watch.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.