[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone help me with this? I don't need the answer given
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 20160113_124548.jpg (769 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
20160113_124548.jpg
769 KB, 1440x2560
Can anyone help me with this?
I don't need the answer given to me. Just an explanation on what to do, or any help at all would be really appreciated. I've tried Google and math sites with no help. This is really starting to frustrate me
>>
>>34788
Problem 37.
Sorry I forgot to mention it in the op. Been stuck on this for a while now
>>
From searching "find equation of parabola given 3 points" on Google:
http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/emt668/emat6680.f99/jones/instructional%20unit/writingquads.html

Seems it's writing quadratic equations.
>>
>>34798
Thanks for trying, but it doesn't have to do with quadratic equations. I've came across similar articles while searching for help
>>
Equation is y = ax2+bx+c
Given the plot you have the system :

5 = a*22+b*2+c
-2 = a+b+c
-5=c

As the parabola passes by the points (2,5) (1,-2) (0,-5), x is the first coordinate and y the second and these coordinates are solutions to the equation (as the aquation represents the parabola)

You solve the system and find
a=2 b=1 c=-5
>>
5= a*2^2 +b*2+c (not 22 duh...)
>>
>>34802
If you're wonder how he comes up with this, as his first note mentions, all parabolas are quadratic funcitons, and thus they can be written in the form y= a X^2 + bX + c, where a, b, c are coefficients.

He then takes that base and plugs values for X and Y (from each point given in the graph) and then solves the systems of three equations to find the coefficients, a b and c.
>>
>>34804
>>34802

Thank you so much man. The problem was for my girlfriend in her calc class, and I felt bad for not being able to help her with it
>>
>>34812
...calc?.... you're kidding or she's lying. This aint calc man. this is algebra. even in multivariant calc, where you come across tilts and other means things (fuck you elipsoids) you'd have to already be familiar with this stuff.
>>
>>34815
Probably lying. She's stupid as fuck.
Thank you again though guys, she's really happy its solved and she learned something
>>
>>34821
And now she is saying the answer is wrong, and the answer isn't a number

She's stupid isn't she?
>>
>>34825
wha? the answer is an equation. problem 37 states "find the equation for a parabola that passes through the given points then use a graphing utility to verify your answer"
>>34802
states that the equation would be y=2 (x^2) + x -5. i dont know what else she wants.
>>
>>34838
She's just stupid. And so am I for not being able to help her.
Thanks for all the help though, that's really nice of you
>>
>>34825
She needs to put the numbers determined in the general formula:
y = ax^2+bx+c with a=2 b=1 c=-5 becomes

y = 2x^2 + x - 5
>>
>>34843
Yup, that did it for her.

Thank you so much, she was really starting to freak out on me about this.
>>
>>34788
>they're having us do their trig homework now
what the fuck man
>>
>>34876
Not trig, and I was asking for help. I wouldn't have cried about it of nobody helped me. She just would've had to do it on her own like she is supposed to.
>>
>>34881
yup yup. its cool. I only come to /wsr/ for the math and science questions we get here. glad we could help
>>
Eternal respect (and severe envy) to mathemagicians.
>>
>>34788

Kek,

This is so easy, you should be ashamed for asking this.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.