[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Downgrade win10 pro to win10home
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: suiSmile.jpg (78 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
suiSmile.jpg
78 KB, 512x512
hay /wsr/..
Need help.

I have a laptop that i have clean install Win10 pro build10240..
(I didnt know the old OS on it was win8 home).
I was able to dig the old win8 key from the usefi BIOS using RW-Everything tool (This is how i found out that i should have used win10 home as it didnt accept the key for activation; w10 build 10586 allows activation using w7/w8 keys)

So i found out about this thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3wn9cc/can_someone_with_win_10_home_check_this_for_me/

I did same registry changes, but winver still indicates im on win10 pro.
And when i try to upgrade to win10 b10586, it still indicate Pro.
What did i miss?
>>
>>34379
What does the activation page say?

If it's just been clean-installed, surely it'd be quicker to just clean-install it again?

Actually, how could you not know what edition you were entitled to? 7 Home --> 10 Home; 8 Home --> 10 Home. How could you not know if you were using 8 Home or not?

My guess is you used a loader to put on Ultimate without paying for it, and now you've been upgraded to 10 Pro and activated by Digital Entitlement. Your machine will remain 10 Pro unless Microsoft's server realises your 8 Ultimate was pirated.
>>
>>34379
If you read the page carefully, you'll see he changes the registry to confuse the installer, and then installs Home as an "upgrade" to change the edition.

It's the reinstalling Windows that changes the edition, not the registry change.
>>
>>34385
>What does the activation page say?
i cant remember the exact sentence, but it has something like 'key if not for this product version' or along the lines. Its so much different than entering totally invalid/blocked key warning.
*I already upgrade to 10586 once and now reverted back to 10240.
Since i did a clean install as the old win8 corrupted, theres no way i can revert back to win8.

>If it's just been clean-installed, surely it'd be quicker to just clean-install it again?
I believe so, but would like to try without wiping everything out from scratch.

>Actually, how could you not know what edition you were entitled to? 7 Home --> 10 Home; 8 Home --> 10 Home. How could you not know if you were using 8 Home or not?
The laptop was my dad's and my nephew messed the os up till its not salvageable.

>My guess is you used a loader to put on Ultimate without paying for it, and now you've been upgraded to 10 Pro and activated by Digital Entitlement. Your machine will remain 10 Pro unless Microsoft's server realises your 8 Ultimate was pirated.
Nope, it was legit Acer OEM copy of 8-home (since i cant use the key to activate win10 pro, and my country dont sell windows single-language ver and 'N' versions).
The win10 pro was manual ISO download. Honestly i cant recall where did i got that win10 iso. (i did the installation back in Nov, and now i got the time to revisit the lappy back to continue work on it)
>>
>>34390
yes.. thats what i tried.

change the registry while still on 10240 build, and download/upgrade new windows10 build 10586.
The new installer auto propose win10pro w/o the ability to change the option
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.