[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Win 7 activation, UEFI > Win10 upgrade valid?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: Windows10-1.jpg (157 KB, 1919x1079) Image search: [Google]
Windows10-1.jpg
157 KB, 1919x1079
Normally I'd take this sort of thing to /g/ but with this new board I'll give it a try - not sure how technical the discussions get here.

I have a friend who has recently reformatted their PC and reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate x64 after their previous Win 7 (RemoveWAT used I think but nothing else?) to Win10 upgrade started claiming it wasn't activated. Before I could tell them to try a few things to activate 10, they have already reinstalled 7 and replaced all their games and crap.

Thus far, they haven't run anything to activate Win7 Ultimate x64. I'm trying to help them find a way to activate Win7 so they can upgrade to Win10 Pro and it stay upgraded, thus locking them into having an activated Win10 hashed/saved on MS servers whenever they need to update.

Normally, I'd tell them to just use Daz Loader 2.2.2 , but there's an issue I think. I read that DazLoader doesn't work to activate copies installed on a UEFI mobo system, as Win 7 installs with GPT instead of MBR if it notices you have UEFI running in non-legacy mode at time of install. Right? DazLoader suggests reinstalling windows and manually setting it to use MBR etc... but I know my friend won't want to do that as they spend yesterday restoring backups and downloading etc. So I'm trying to find a way around.

Thus, I'm wondering about some sort of KMS activation, like KMSPico or Microsoft Toolkit. Does anyone know if you can register/activate Win7 Ultimate x64 using one of these, and have it "stick" properly to Upgrade to Win10 Pro being now legit activated?
>>
>>21940
Nope, won't work.

KMS is enterprise licensing under Microsoft's Software Assurance model. It's not eligible for an upgrade to Windows 10 *at all*.

Actual SA customers get Windows 10 as part of their SA contract, and have no need to upgrade their 7 licenses.
>>
>>21950

Okay then. Any other ideas?

First of all, will Win7 (even an older win7 install media) automatically install with GPT if you have a UEFI motherboard? Or is there a chance it is MBR based? How does one tell? Will right clicking on your C: drive > Properties > Hardware Tab > (Pick the right drive) > Properties > Volume Tab > Populate button = show Partition Type as GPT if it is GPT? Or will it always show as MBR and you have to look elsewhere?

Also, will DazLoader simply say it isn't the right kind of partition (ie it will detect it ) when you try to use it and just refuse to do anything? Or will it try to fix it then basically crash and require some sort of repair etc..?

I wish my friend would just reinstall and make this easy, but I'm trying to find a way around it for them.

How about just upgrading an unactivated (30 day grace period) Win7 Ult to Win10 Pro and then trying to activate it there? Are there any methods that will work to give them full activation, not trip smartscreen etc...?
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.