[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my friend has recently acquired a Gigabyte R9 380 (and Rosewill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1
File: r9380.png (120 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
r9380.png
120 KB, 1000x1000
So my friend has recently acquired a Gigabyte R9 380 (and Rosewill RD 700-M 700W to accompany it) as an upgrade for his prebuilt Dell XPS 8300. The PSU works fine with the old graphics card, but if he installs the graphics card, nothing displays. In fact, the computer doesn't seem to even get to the BIOS. normally, the hard drive makes a click on startup, and it does in this case as well, but then procedes to shut off completely. Everything else appears to work (all other falls turn on, and the light on the graphics card turns on), just nothing actually displays at all
If he plugs only 6 of the 8 pins from the psu into the graphics card everything turns on but only the onboard graphics card works, kind of. Normally the onboard graphics card refuses to display higher resolutions, but with the 380 plugged into the motherboard and 6 of the 8 pins connected the computer will display 1920x1080.
With none of the power connectors connected, but the card still in the motherboard, the exact thing occurs.
What gives?
>>
>>33521
When you plug eight pins into a graphics card, you're making a contract with it: "on top of the 75w you're getting from the ATX-24 connector, this cable will supply you with 150w".

You've told the card it's cool to draw 225w, so the card is going to try to do that.

If it's not cool to draw 225w, don't tell the card that it is. If you plug in a six-pin, that tells the card it can only have 75w from the socket, for a total of 150w. The card will run in degraded mode, but at least it will run.
Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.