[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for help with creating an anime chart for normiesmie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 13
File: rec_chart_700.png (7 MB, 700x7203) Image search: [Google]
rec_chart_700.png
7 MB, 700x7203
I've been trying to remake some of my earlier works, but I came to a point where I've realized I need help from people way more knowledgeable than me. That's why I'm asking you guys. I've been lurking here for years and years, but my anime experience is lacking for a variety of reasons.

I'd use /a/ for this purpose but I'd rather have the thread stay up for a longer period of time instead of a shorter intensive lifespan I'd expect there. Besides, it's not THAT good of a project, so I don't feel confident about going there with it at all.

First things first, this is supposed to be a totally 4plebs type of chart. Try to look at it from the perspective of a normie browsing imgur, 9gag, reddit, funnyjunk, or anything like that.

Pic related is what I got viral few days ago. It's made in GIMP in a bit higher resolution (1380x14200), which unfortunately exceeds 4chan's maximum dimensions. If you have anything to say about it, it's a fair game, though it's not the main point of this thread.

Cont.
>>
File: get_a_taste_700.png (4 MB, 700x5220) Image search: [Google]
get_a_taste_700.png
4 MB, 700x5220
This is one of the older things I've made, it got some traction on normie sites and got reposted on /a/ by someone to laugh at. And that's the true reason for making this thread. I'm trying to remake this from scratch, this time possibly less shitty.

What to keep? What to remove? What pairs to add? As for the thumbnails and and descriptions, they're almost certainly getting re-done.
>>
>>30702
Oh and by the way - I'm highly aware that the concept itself is lame and pretentious, but it keeps getting reposted months after I released it and I've figured I'd prefer to replace it with something less shitty.
>>
>>30707
Why not just say "watch whatever's on Netflix/the dashboard of your Xbox or Playstation"?

None of it's shit, and all of it's normie as fuck.
>>
I don't get why people do this shit, /a/ has a wiki with actually good/not-fucking-retarded recommendation charts.
What's the fucking point?
>>
>>30871
Not OP but got a link? I pretty much just got into anime and I haven't browsed /a/ much.
>>
What help do you want exactly
>>
You should put Shingeki no Kyojin in there.
>>
>Hunter x Hunter 2011 is exceptional
>One Piece the manga with the most sales ever highly regarded by fans of all ages isn't

How about get your bias out of your ass?

>Hanasaku Iroha is a starter point for slice of life
>Not Daily Lives of High School Boys (aka Danshi Koukosei no Nichijou, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J0A_xcEnzU )
>note that the anime above also works really well for comedy starting point

>Episodic Cowboy Bebop starter point for adventure
>Not Sword Art Online (it's way better than Cowboy Bebop at being a starter point) or Shingeki no Kyojin

>Fucking Gurenn Lagann is a starter point for mecha (Were you even trying)
>Not Code Geass

>list has no Durarara
>list has Gankutsuou
>fucking GTO is a slice of life (your life must be really weird)
>>
>>30886
http://animu-mango.wikia.com/wiki/Anime_Recommendations
>>
>>30899
>HxH is exceptional
The "exceptional" tag is meant to mark series that stand out within their own category rather than be awarded to objectively good series. HxH is exceptional within shounen. Bakemonogatari had the [!] tag when it was in the Romance section, now moved to the WTF zone it does not.

I'm considering removing OP and maybe even HxH and making the block 100% guilty pleasure.

>Hanasaku Iroha is a starter point for slice of life
>Not Daily Lives of High School Boys
Many people, including me and some of my middle-school students (female) were introduced with it to SoL. Nichibros are in the Comedy section, where the introduction point is Hataraku Maou-sama, which is a bit more Western-friendly

>Episodic Cowboy Bebop starter point for adventure
>Not Sword Art Online or Shingeki no Kyojin
Read the disclaimer. The chart purposefully omits some of the popular starting points that collapse under their own weight later on (as both SAO and AoT do). Also I wanted to have Bebop in the beginner section just to avoid oversaturating it with fantasy.

>Fucking Gurenn Lagann is a starter point for mecha (Were you even trying)
>Not Code Geass
TTGL is a mecha show at core, a tribute to the whole genre, and even if you don't get all the references, it can teach you the spirit of it. Geass is hard to get into due to odd art style (same as why I didn't put Clannad in the starter section).

>list has no Durarara
Action block is designed as a bit darker territory - I could consider replacing Noragami there - and Adventure is rather centered around fantasy road trip.

>list has Gankutsuou
Find a better thriller to replace it (that's not on the list already)

>fucking GTO is a slice of life (your life must be really weird)
As I've mentioned before, I'm a teacher...
...on a serious note, it's a result of Comedy section being halfway filled with rom-coms. I guess I could move GTO to Comedy, at least by swapping it with Haruhi. Would that be okay?
>>
>>30899
>>Not Daily Lives of High School Boys (aka Danshi Koukosei no Nichijou, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J0A_xcEnzU [Embed] )
Yes, that's a great idea. Your introduction to a genre should be a parody of that genre, so you can laugh along as it lampoons all the cliches of a genre you've never seen.
>>
File: 1438997221567.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1438997221567.gif
2 MB, 400x400
Would anyone recommend Neon Genesis Evangelion as a first anime show?
>>
If you have not yet watched it
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ-pG5BUGnQ
I am not sure where I would place it
>>
>>30937
>Geass is hard to get into due to odd art style
It was the 2nd or 3rd show I watched and I had no problem with it.
>>
>>30937
>me and some friends were introduced to SoL
?

>I want Bebop in the beginner section
But it is not a good anime for beginners. It's slow, episodic and not for everyone.

>Geass is hard to get into
It's not? The art style is only odd for people that are already used to the usual anime art style, so it's good for beginners. I never had the impression of strange art style with Code Geass as it was one of the first anime I watched. Same to Clannad. TTGL is just boring for non-mecha fans, Code Geass can still give a good show to everyone.

>Durarara is not in because action is a darker territory
Exactly why Durarara should be there? Did you watch the sequels? I mean, you did include Clannad at the drama section, but it only becomes drama at the sequel. Similarly, Durarara gets really dark and surrounded by mysteries and creepy things later on.

>Find a better thriller
Literally ANYTHING. Even Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna. Gankutsuou is just atrocious as an anime for beginners and requires people to read the book in order to fully appreciate it

Spiral is only if you wanna place a dank underrated not popular anime there to make the list less shit, otherwise you can always use Mirai Nikki

Can't give feedback on replacing Haruhi as I have never watched it
>>
>>30964
> Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
it used to be in the Horror section before I cut it in half. The only thing of value that was lost (other series such as Hellsing were simply moved to other genres).

>[Bebop] is slow, episodic and not for everyone.
But in its English dub it makes for a perfect introduction into the medium for people interested exactly in that Firefly-esque genre.

>Durarara gets really dark and surrounded by mysteries and creepy things later on.
I give you that. My first thought was that it wouldn't fit with Hellsing and Claymore, but looking at DTB and Tempest the spectrum might benefit from its addition. It seems to be a bit better pick than Noragami.

>Gankutsuou is just atrocious as an anime for beginners
Agree, but the naturally ambitious categories (thriller, drama, WTF) have some demanding stuff smuggled in along with the rest. An adult, well-read person trying to find anime that will go against the perceived stereotypes (moe, battle harems, comedy) and refer to high literature instead would appreciate such recommendations.

There's people who want anime to be an upgrade from Western cartoons, but there's also other people who seek other styles, for example going the Ghibli-Mushishi-artsy stuff route.
>>
>>31009
Gankutsuou is a flop. Slow, boring, dumb and gay.

And yes I did read the book before watching
>>
>>30899
>>Hunter x Hunter 2011 is exceptional
>>One Piece the manga with the most sales ever highly regarded by fans of all ages isn't
>How about get your bias out of your ass?
One piece is one of the best manga but HxH is a much better anime
Toei is shit and the pacing/art quality are fucked compared to the manga
>>
>>30701
>Recommending IBO

C'mon anon
>>
>>30871
They are outdated and only good from being comprehensive. Still I use a couple to track my progress.
>>
>>30966
Same except it bothered my, but grew on me quickly.

CLAMP noodles look dorky as fucking but they're unique.
>>
>>30871
>I don't get why people do this shit, /a/ has a wiki with actually good/not-fucking-retarded recommendation charts.
Look up the thread title. /a/'s charts are better, but will never get traction with the normie crowd. Meanwhile these rainbow charts go viral as fuck on 9gag, imgur, funnyjunk etc.
>>
>Yuuki Yuuna and Samurai Flamenco in the same category as Eva
Good one, m8
>>
>>31175
You've not watched them then?
>>
>>31178
I have, have you?
>>
>>31175
That whole category is "I could tell you the genre or the premise, but that would be either spoiling or misleading".

Both Samumenco and YuYuYu apply. Also I like recommending YuYuYu as a followup to Madoka to depict how PMMM has changed the genre (YYY assumes the viewer has seen Madoka and toys with their expectations).

It's not "mindfuck", "psych 101" or "2deep4u" as in Eva, neither an artsy piece of symbolism as in Ikuhara's shows. But it fits.
>>
>>31181
>Samurai Flamenco
Real life super-hero
>Yuuki Yuuna
Magical girls
That sure was easy.
>>
File: fc,550x550,white.u3.jpg (65 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
fc,550x550,white.u3.jpg
65 KB, 550x550
>>30701
>no Psycho-pass
>no Yuru Yuri
>no Naruto
>>
>>31182
>>31179
Obviously you haven't. It's time to put up or shut up, m8.
>>
>>31184
Put what up?
If this chart is for normies, why even have a secion that's "too hard to explain" anyways?
>>
>>30701
>starting with IBO
SEED is much friendlier to starter audiences than IBO, don't let /m/ tell you otherwise.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 750x647) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 750x647
>>31187
Because when was the last time you needed something explained beforehand as a prerequisite for enjoying it?

Okay, maybe not you. Normal people.
>>
>>31183
>no Psycho Pass
It's the starter for science fiction

>no Yuru Yuri
Yeah it kinda needs an ecchi section

>no Naruto
be glad for that
>>
File: hammertime.jpg (758 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hammertime.jpg
758 KB, 1920x1080
>>30701
>Not one Go Nagai or Shoji Kawamori anime on this entire list
>>
File: Taiho.Shichauzo.600.226517.jpg (88 KB, 600x432) Image search: [Google]
Taiho.Shichauzo.600.226517.jpg
88 KB, 600x432
>>30701
Are old school stuff allowed? ;_;
>>
>>30701
>Nodame
>exceptional
Fuck no. Also Planetes's romance elements aren't until the end, it qualifies the same way Romeo and Juliet are swashbuckler sword fight stories.
>>
>>31192
Seconded, stuff like Hanappe Bazooka, Aquarion, Ghastly Prince Enma, Mao Dante, Violence Jack, and Arjuna are way trippier than anything Utena, Madoka, or Samurai Flamenco can offer.
>>
>>30701
Berserk is not exceptional, Claymore does everything it tries and succeeds in flying colors. There are also a lot of anime that can't qualify on your list that start out as light hearted and end up being dark (IE Neo Ranga). Finally

>including Samurai Champloo

It dated incredibly bad and has a fuck ton of plotholes and boredom, not a good place to start aside from just being overall shit.
>>
>>30701
>Knights of S

20 better mecha series suggestions than it include:

-Aldnoah Zero
-VOTOMS
-Heroic Age
-Overman King Gainer
-Dunbine
-Golion
-Gravion
-Godannar
-Zegapain
-Gear Fighter Dendoh
-RahXephon
-Any entry in the Aquarion trilogy
-Fafner
-Gun x Sword
-any Zoids series
-Ryu Knight
-Ideon
-Daitarn 3
-any Mazinger entry
-any Getter Robo entry
>>
>>30701
put some /tg/ stuff like Slayers and Record of Lodoss War

Add Gunsmith Cats, Burn Up, Angel Cop, Black Magic-M66, Dominion Tank Police and Iria: Zeriam for action.
>>
>>31188
If I were to recommend SEED, I'd also include Cross Ange as SEED 3.0.

Which is actually a neat idea. How about removing One Piece and HxH (or moving it to Adventure, or wherever) and adding Cross Ange, and some other ecchi guilty pleasure? It should fit with Symphogear and Kill la Kill perfectly.

>>31194
Nodame is a great entry for the main audience of romances: women. I have to admit, though, that opinion is based on my sister's experiences with anime rather than mine.
>Planetes's romance elements aren't until the end
Fair point. I guess it would fit better in the SoL block.

>>31200
Admittedly I don't know shit about mecha, but I'm having a hard time trusting your opinion when you list Aldnoah.Zero. I guess you just wanted to belittle KoS by starting with that, because right after that you've placed VOTOMS, which are legit good.
>>
>>31207
you should watch project a-ko, it's literally 80s kill la kill
>>
>>31207
>If I were to recommend SEED, I'd also include Cross Ange as SEED 3.0.
Why? Just because they have the same producer? It is just Gundam we're talking about.
>adding Cross Ange, and some other ecchi guilty pleasure?
The problem with that is some people took CA seriously and still enjoyed it, the "so bad its good" mentality is mostly from 4chan.
>Nodame is a great entry for the main audience of romances: women. I have to admit, though, that opinion is based on my sister's experiences with anime rather than mine.
Some guy at the ANN forums ripped it apart as to how it was more of a tsundere psycho analysis rather than a romance story.
>Fair point. I guess it would fit better in the SoL block.
I agree with this.
>>
>>31207
>I guess you just wanted to belittle KoS by starting with that
I did not, I simply stated there were better entries.
>I'm having a hard time trusting your opinion when you list Aldnoah.Zero.
Any particular reason? The execution of the mecha and political aspects make it stand out alongside the high production values.
>>
>>31201
Seconding Iria, contrary to what Anime Abandon will (wrongfully) cry about it was legitimately great and a nice starter anime for those unfamiliar with OVAs.
>>
File: nana_wills_it.gif (1 MB, 320x136) Image search: [Google]
nana_wills_it.gif
1 MB, 320x136
>>31209
I probbaly should, catching up with movies is probably how I'm going to spend this summer.

>>31213
Aldnoah Zero was a screeching trainwreck ever since the second episode. The asspull in the second season only pushed it into "hilariously bad" territory. I liked many things about it, even the resolution, but I'd never recommend it.

KoS might be far from perfect and the 3D will surely turn off many people, but it has its merits and some people will apprecoiate the style, and the sound design was really great.

All in all, I'll study your list. I haven't even heard of half of the stuff you've mentioned (as I've said, my mecha experience is pretty much nonexistant). However, I don't think I'll change the mecha section that much - VOTOMS is exactly the kind of anime that I don't plan to include on this list even though it's objectively speaking commendable. Even though i smuggle legitimately good anime here and there, the general purpose of this chart is the normie crowd. Which, from your perspective, in the mecha setting, I actually belong to myself.

>The problem with that is some people took CA seriously and still enjoyed it, the "so bad its good" mentality is mostly from 4chan.
Sites other than 4chan don't even pay attention to anime like Cross Ange or Symphogear. Anyway, removing both OP and HxH frees up two squares, one for xAnge and one for something like DxD or Highschool of the Dead.
>>
>>31214
i haven't watched any reviews by that guy. Is he any good? Does he bash on all old animes?
>>
>>31220
Not bash, but often goes into snob mode/TVTroper propaganda.
>>
>>31201
Seirei no Moribito is a way better fantasy series than Lodoss War and Slayers. And it has a more interesting setting too, interesting world building and is just overall good.
>>
>>30701
how 'bout this for casual shameless fun?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIOxsYDHWGc
>>
rec_chart_700.png
7 MB, 700x7203
Okay, so this is the updated version.

- Removed Nisekoi (good meme faces, but gets frustrating as you progress)
- Moved GTO to Comedy
- Moved Planetes to SoL
- Added Yamada-kun to Romance (to lift up the romcom note, it rushed through the source material but it's still OK)
- Swapped Hellsing and Berserk

>>31223
It was on the list in the action section, then I've decided that Claymore would fit better.

I'd place it in the Adventure category, but it's already 50% bigger than others.

Question for now: Should I go through with the plan of removing OP and HxH, and if so, what to replace them with, to make that category more about guilty pleasure? Current candidates are:
- Cross Ange
- DxD
- Highschool of the Dead
- Nanoha
>>
>>31228
...On the other hand, I could just put Space Dandy there.

Also, Yamada-kun is missing a thumbnail. Feel free to throw in suggestions for better romance anime.
>>
>>31228
I'd suggest maybe putting a note on Yuuki Yuuna saying to watch Madoka first.
>>
rec_chart_700.png
7 MB, 700x7203
>>31249
Done.

I'm still not sure about the romance section, perhaps Honey&Clover would make a better pick there, but this is the version for now.
>>
I dislike your action/shameless fun and adventure sections are separate solely on the basis of NGNL.
It fits under the adventure banner more than action, but its also so much shameless fun as well. I guess the problem is that action/adventure crosses each other so much that you can hardly find one without the other.
>>
>>31288
You can find one without the other. "Action" block here is mostly that, and many 'adventure" series don't have that much action (Mushishi, S&W, Kino).

But yeah, I could drop the "action" part from the description of that section. It's all about quality-needs-not-apply guilty pleasure.
>>
>>31249
>>31263
What the fuck? Why would you need to watch Madoka first? That shouldn't be a requirement.
>>
>>31295
Because Takahiro is a troll and toys with your expectations after seeing Madoka. You see the similarities, you expect things to get grimdark - then they don't. And then they sort of do, just staying in the colorful acid trip palette instead of going into creepy Russian animation.

It's more a case of YYY spoiling PMMM than not watching PMMM removing the ability to enjoy YYY, but the fact is that both shows are better when watched in that order.
>>
>>31294
The point of 'Adventure' is to explore a new world versus 'Action' which is a setup for high-tension conflic scenes.
In this sense, Trigun and NGNL would be backwards as NGNL opens up as a huge fantasy world with lots of exploration while Trigun leans more towards the action set-pieces.
>>
>>31228
>- Nanoha
No
>>
Sci-fi section seems a bit too grim to me. I'd swap out something for Dennou Coil. Probably Ergo Proxy.
>>
>>31328
That's an issue with many sections here. Drama is full of cheap tearjerkers, Action is mostly slasher/noir, Adventure is 70% fantasy. Sci-fi being grim is intended, as the headline says. We're going into Stanisław Lem style here.

That said, I'd have to watch both Ergo Proxy and Dennou Coil to compare them.
>>
>>31228
>what to replace them with, to make that category more about guilty pleasure?
The Agent Aika trilogy and Najica Blitz Tactics
>>
Okay, in the meantime, the issue of the "how to move on to better anime" chart. The pairs I'm thinking about right now are:

SAO => Log Horizon
Evergoing shounens => finished shounens
AoT => FMAB
Aldnoah.Zero => Code Geass
Akame ga Kill = Berserk/Claymore
Death Note => Monster
Nisekoi => Toradora + other romances with progression
Slasher horrors => Shinsekai yori, Mononoke
Angel Beats => Haibane Renmei
One Punch Man => ?

Feel free to suggest more.
>>
I've never understood the point in recommending the same crap over and over again. There's nothing special about this chart, it only serves to prove how little anime you've actually seen.
>>
>>31338
What could we lead Steins;Gate into? K Project?
>>
>>31347
Primer.

>>31342
Well somehow I'm having fun doing this. Never really asked myself "why".
>>
>>31356
Fun? No, you're not allowed to have any fun!
>>
>>30702
>>30701
>>31263
Way too much text and some series need better resizing or images to represent them. Just use their dvd covers or something, not fanart and screencaps.
>>
>>31419
Not all DVD covers can work in a 1:1 ratio. And with this level of minaturization, it's also a matter of visual clutter. Some graphics were chosen to be more readable in a small format.

I know that the second chart has way too much text. I'll be rewriting and condensing what I can.
>>
>>31190
>yuru yuri
>ecchi
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 500x529) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 500x529
>>31602
I think he's thinking of yuriyurishiki.
>>
>>30954
yes cuz u dont wanna get spoiled
>>
>>31605
How can it be ecchi when they aren't real?
>>
>>31263
General suggestion:
1)Add a "Read the manga" icon like the exceptional, unfinished.
2)Add a category for Full length movie with for instance Akira, Princess Monoke, the first GitS, Perfect Blue, 5 centimeter per second.
3) For consistency's sake, you should reduce the "Adventure" category from 12 to 8.

Let's start the constructive nitpicking:
>Hanasaku Iroha
Maybe K-On! would fit better for a starter slice of life.

> Gurren Lagann
The description is not useful for the new viewer. I would put something like "Over-the-top action".

>Your Lie in April
To avoid some very mild spoiler but that rubs me the wrong way, can you replace "Pianist in grief" by "Classical Music Drama" or "Romantic tragedy"

>NOTE
I like the idea but I 'd like to make it more formal. My rephrasing would go as follows:
"NOTE: Others beginner shows include OP, HxH, SAO, FT, (...) are purposefully not included because of their popularity."

>Shirobako
Replace "Anime: How It's Done" with "Anime About Making Anime"

>Slice of Life
I really would love to see Hibike Euphonium there.

>Drama category.
First, the headline could be changed to "Drama: stories about growing up and growing old".
Clannad's thumbnail is something kinda spoilerish because it's a scene of the After Story. So maybe another thumbnail would be better and the description could be adapted or suppressed to recommend AS. Watching Clannad is in my opinion useless without watching AS.
Replace "Tearjerker" with "Lost Childhood Friends" to avoid some foreshadowing?

Don't forget to mention "List of Worthwhile Anime" for the people that are not beginner.

Finally, the thing that is bothering me a bit is that the order of the anime recommended looks inconsistent. For instance, usually the category begins with a "classic" (Slam Dunk, LotGH) but sometimes begins with the a very recent one (Death Parade, Darker Than Black). Would you mind looking at keeping some kind of consistency when ordering each category?

Brilliant work btw.
>>
>>32133
> Add a "Read the manga" icon like the exceptional, unfinished.

Good idea.

> Add a category for Full length movie

That's material for another chart entirely. It wouldn't be fair to list just 8 movies and 100 TV series.

> For consistency's sake, you should reduce the "Adventure" category from 12 to 8.

Adventure is 12 because Horror is 4. It balances out.

> Maybe K-On! would fit better for a starter slice of life.

It's kinda off-putting in comparison. It's easier to get into HI, it has some sort of plot happening.

> [Gurren Lagann] The description is not useful for the new viewer.

If "over the top action" fits in all caps, I'll change it.

> can you replace "Pianist in grief" by "Classical Music Drama" or "Romantic tragedy"

Maybe the former, but I don't like repeating words that are already in the category name. And the latter is even more spoilerific.

> NOTE

I'm actually considering putting those 8 in their own block. People seem to appreciate charts where they find their favourite stuff.

> Anime About Making Anime

Doesn't fit. How about "Animeception"?

> Hibike Euphonium

OK, but what goes out then? Sora no Woto?

> "Drama: stories about growing up and growing old"

Nah, it's supposed to indicate it's the "Feels" section.

With AnoHana, I think bawling your eyes out is the main reason to watch it.

> Don't forget to mention "List of Worthwhile Anime" for the people that are not beginner.

I'm considering something more than that: releasing two versions of this chart. One like the current version, with 4 columns, for mainstream purposes. Another one simply 50% or twice as wide, so 6 or 8 columns, more accurate and with older stuff like VOTOMS or Rose of Versailles..

> consistency

In some cases it's a matter of fitting the wider names or captions between the regular ones.

I was considering either putting the classic or the more accessible stuff in the top row. I'm sorry I wasn't consistent with it.
>>
>>32133
>Finally, the thing that is bothering me a bit is that the order of the anime recommended looks inconsistent. For instance, usually the category begins with a "classic" (Slam Dunk, LotGH) but sometimes begins with the a very recent one (Death Parade, Darker Than Black).
Oh, I forgot that one. DtB leading the Action block was initially suppsoed to be a some kind of a joke. "Serious action series: a bit darker now => Darker than Black => Black Lagoon => Dark as in Dark Souls"

I'm considering one of the two possible sorting orders:
a) start with series typical to the genre, moving on to less standard, barely fitting
b) start with classics, moving on to recent stuff
c) start with fresh stuff easy to get into, then list classics later
>>
>>30701
Why not have big pages for each genre instead of putting all in one pic?

That way you can put many recommendations in one genre and the normie/beginner would just have to choose freely.
>>
File: rec_chart_v3_700.png (7 MB, 700x7517) Image search: [Google]
rec_chart_v3_700.png
7 MB, 700x7517
>>32274
Because the imgur/funnyjunk/9gag crowd works on a single-image basis. The image set thingy could work on Imgur, but that would require almost remaking the whole thing.

New, updated version. I've decided to include the popular shit as well, many extreme beginners will look at this as some sort of validation - they see series they've liked, they pay attention to the chart. Other changes, I need to think for a while.
>>
And the full-sized bit higher quality version:

http://imgur.com/YSbAwGL
>>
None of my classic favorites mentioned anywhere. I must be too abnormal or something.
>>
>>31194
>Romeo and Juliet are swashbuckler sword fight stories.
that's accurate tho
>>
>>32285
but it will give the newbie more choices for a genre.

this >>23723
is what i'm talking about
>>
>>32355
Yeah, a wider image would give newbies mor echoices, but keep in mind the uber newbies aren't browsing the Internet on PC, but their phones or tablets. That's why I'm making it with 700p width in mind.
>>
>>32450
well...... yeah, can't argue with that.
>>
>>32458
I'm considering a "2 in 1" version, with 6 columns - the 2 additional ones would be cut in pure-normie releases. Not 100% certain I should go with it, though.
>>
>>31200
No one watches KoS for the mech shit, they watch it for the weird sex stuff and the bizarre juxtaposition of horrific violence and middle school drama. It's hilarious. And the animation is cool.
>>
>>32493
And the harder-than-most physics.

Reminder that eye-worm girl is still in there, watching, unable to move.
>>
>>31194
>Also Planetes's romance elements aren't until the end
I'm in the middle of this series right now and I can't agree, there's plenty of foreshadowing. Rewatch episode 7 and tell me there isn't any tension there, c'mon.

Also no spoilers pls
>>
>>32285
I saw this mentioned before, but please change Clannad's picture since you've used a scene from the best episode and also spoilers.
>>
>>30954
na, its better to have some appreciation before you watch it. make it in the top 15 you watch tho
>>
>>32732
also find a way to acknowledge AS.
>>
>>32732
Not really. Before watching, you have no way of knowing who the characters are. Even after watching the first season, it's not that easy to recognize who's who (that god damn art style). I could use the poster art but it has barely anything to do with what the show is about. Same goes for Dangos.

>>32785
I will consider how to do it, though the caption was enough...

How about "Clannad + After Story"?

By the way, in the version >>32285 the "mainstream" section is brand new, and I'd like some feedback on it.
>>
>>30701
Christ that list is shit.
>>
your list is shit and if it got used you'd be responsible for making people dislike anime.
>>
>>32830
Too late anon, it already had 2 viral editions weeks and months ago that were even more shitty that this, now I'm in full damage control mode, trying to replace those with a somewhat polished slightly less shitty version.
>>
>>32886
you're polishing a turd
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.