[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, /wsr/, I need your help. My professor has assigned us
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: CorporalPunishment4x3_0.jpg (258 KB, 851x639) Image search: [Google]
CorporalPunishment4x3_0.jpg
258 KB, 851x639
Alright, /wsr/, I need your help. My professor has assigned us a debate on corporal punishment. I was assigned to the affirmative (pro punishment) side, but I am having trouble coming up with contentions. Do you have any ideas? Please, and thank you.
>>
>>30334
Traditional punishment form, eye for an eye etc.
>>
Association of unwanted behaviour with pain. Pavlov shit.
>>
>>30334
Deterrence value. A beating is going to be scarier to most people than a fine (that you can try not not pay) or a brief imprisonment (which is at worst enforced boredom, a vacation at taxpayer expense). And if the punishment is carried out publicly, it reinforces to the public that the rules are being enforced (which speaks to the strength and stability of the body which made and enforces those rules). When crime occurs in public and punishment is carried out behind closed doors, the public doesn't feel safe. They need to see both to feel that justice is being done.
>>
There's also the immediacy of addressing the wrong. If the action is put off too long, the culprit won't associate the action as negative feedback in response to their crime, which may have already been rationalized away.
>>
>>30334
If you don't see contentions for your side, then just build up arguments against the opposite side. Your sole point should be: "There is nothing wrong with corporal punishment because it does the job (stopping people from having a type of bad behaviour again), and studies support this idea".
Search for counter-arguments to the opposite side. If possible, let them bring first the arguments for you to refute them.

Read this and search studies for every point listed: http://www.corpun.com/benatar.htm

Example: some support for point c. https://www.newsmax.com/US/spanking-studies-children-spock/2010/01/07/id/345669/
>>
Spanking breeds antagonism and mistrust towards authority figures. These days, the government is illegitimate. It doesn't represent the people, but the interests of large corporations. The priest lies to you. The media lies to you. The politicians lie to you. We do not want, we do not need children who see authority as loving. We want children who see authority as cruel and arbitrary, fueled by disgust and rage. The police man is not your friend. Show the child what darkness looks like, so that he may come to value the light, and, when the time comes, fight for it.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.