[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/r/ing Win8/10 advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1420336396364.jpg (489 KB, 812x850) Image search: [Google]
1420336396364.jpg
489 KB, 812x850
I have been using win7 since 2010, never bothered to even have a look at Win 8/8.1/10 and for the first time i want to try upgrading to one of them.

I'd like to hear opinions on win8.1/10 that don't involve installing gentoo.

How bloated are them?
Is the botnet as big of a deal as /g/ makes it out to be and how hard is it to remove/keep under control?
Are they as straight forward to use as win7?
Do they offer major performance increases for vidya and the likes?
Most importantly, is there a real reason to leave win7 behind?
What has been your experience with them?
Any issues that are not necessarily fatal but that can get annoying? (ie. can't fully disable mouse accel and things of the sort)
>>
>>13235
>How bloated are them?
Not at all. W10 has a smaller footprint than W7, and has modern technologies that W7 doesn't, such as compressed swap.
>Is the botnet as big of a deal as /g/ makes it out to be and how hard is it to remove/keep under control?
No, /g/ are just being sperglords. It doesn't do anything that Steam, iOS, Chrome or Android doesn't do.

It sends crash reports back to developers, just like Steam, iOS and Android.

If you turn on Cortana, it sends your searches to the interwebs, just like Siri and Hey Google.

It distributes updates P2P, just like Steam, WoW, Vuze.
>Are they as straight forward to use as win7?
Yes.
>Do they offer major performance increases for vidya and the likes?
No, but they're less bloated and slightly faster in general.
>Most importantly, is there a real reason to leave win7 behind?
W7 is EOL, and doesn't natively support AHCI or USB3. This is only going to get worse as more technologies come along and it remains EOL.
>What has been your experience with them?
Fine. I pressed upgrade and everything just worked.
>Any issues that are not necessarily fatal but that can get annoying? (ie. can't fully disable mouse accel and things of the sort)
Mouse accel only applies to the desktop: games get unfiltered mouse events through DirectInput, and have since Windows 95.
>>
>>13287
This is all for Win10, right?
>>
>>13324
There's absolutely no reason to use 8, because 10 is 8, except done better.

Plus 8 costs money and 10 is free.
>>
Some more exciting features introduced by 10:

-Confused about what are in specific Windows Updates? They're purposefully secret, so you don't know what's going to be installed on the computer you own. Surprises sure are fun!

-Feel guilty about Windows wanting to install those updates, but you keep refusing to allow it to? Now it installs it for you, without your consent! Bonus: You're working on something important and are getting bored or tired? It will interrupt whatever you're doing and forcibly install it anyway. Progress!

-Feel like your bandwidth is being wasted? Windows will download 10 without your consent. It will even use your bandwidth to distribute its products. Now that's what I call convenience!

All in all, 10 is Microsoft's cutting-edge effort to make the OS control the user, because the reverse is, like, totally obsolete.
>>
File: win 10.png (207 KB, 1954x688) Image search: [Google]
win 10.png
207 KB, 1954x688
https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/3fhy27/how_do_disable_all_privacy_leaks_in_windows_10/

>inb4 linking to reddit

i only go there if i need tech info on something and it comes up as a result when i type my problem in google. its perfectly okay to do so.

hope this helps OP
>>
File: 1359646484182.jpg (71 KB, 634x475) Image search: [Google]
1359646484182.jpg
71 KB, 634x475
>>13367
There are people who still think Windows obeys the hosts file?
>>
>>13287
when i upgraded a few months back i did get mouse acceleration issues in full screen applications. i had to purge that xbox thingy
>>
>>13361
>Confused about what are in specific Windows Updates? They're purposefully secret, so you don't know what's going to be installed on the computer you own. Surprises sure are fun!
Windows has done that since around about the time of XP SP1.

Update KB726628463:
This update fixes an issue with Microsoft Windows. For details of the files changed in this update that updates Microsoft Windows, click here (we know you won't).
>>
>>13373
That was never what the hosts file was for.

I can't believe this twattery has gone on so long.

>OMG Windows Update uses DNSSEC its going agains instructions I made explicitly in a file that was never designed for doing that.
>>
>>13373
when my sister was still a minor i disabled the access to facebook on my pc. guess how i did it
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.