[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, so my motherboard died a few weeks ago, so I used it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Computer-Smash_iStock.jpg (124 KB, 685x511) Image search: [Google]
Computer-Smash_iStock.jpg
124 KB, 685x511
Alright, so my motherboard died a few weeks ago, so I used it as an excuse to order a new build. Set it all up, everything seemed to be working fine, then I got a BSOD when windows started to load. It reboots, asks me if I want to go to startup repair, I can't select anything as my keyboard isn't detected, then it goes into startup repair, where it hangs indefinitely either in the basic windows 7 screen, or a black screen. I have no fucking idea what to do here.

Specs:

Z170XP-SLI mobo
8gb G-Skill DDR4 ram @ 2400mhz
i5 6600 3.3ghz
EVGA GTX 970 SC 4GB
XFX XXX edition 750w PSU
72gb SSD (OS)
1TB HDD x2

I just wanted to play vidya tonight, goddammit. Any ideas short of "Grab an old keyboard that isn't usb"? Nothing's open right now.
>>
I got the keyboard working by plugging it into one of the case USB slots. Apparently it doesn't like the new 3.0/1 slots. Booting into safe mode also causes a blue screen, and its too quick for me to read the error message. Startup repair and the repair in the f8 menu don't work either.
>>
Figured out part of the problem, it was defaulting to boot from my old OS drive, the one I was using before I got the solid state. I switched it to the SSD, and now while it isn't blue screening, its loading whatever I choose (safe mode, normal, repair) perpetually, while making the same sounds over again. --, -, with the dashes representing the sound pattern. I don't know if I have any options at this point but reinstalling windows, but in lieu of actually having the disc with me, I'm hoping there's an alternative.
>>
BSODs are usually a cause of a driver error, try disconnecting your old HDD before booting into this SSD because it sounds like its corrupted.

If you find out the HDD is the source of the problem, reconnect it and go to Repair, locate the Command Prompt and enter this command

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

This may help.
>>
>>28050
I vaguely remember buying the SSD mainly because of the load speed, but also because my OS on the HDD was fucked up. I think it was blue screening because of drivers, like you said. From what I could gather from googling my current issue, the Win 7 installation I have is trying to load drivers from my old mobo, and that's causing the infinite hangs. I'm currently setting up a usb install of Win 7 and hoping that a fresh install will fix the issue. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>28078
And then I realized the flash drive I have is too small. Well fuck.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.