[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hard disk not working pls help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
hey my external hard disk keeps wanting to format
its full of file but wont let me open them any more
how do i fix this?
>>
its a seagate goflex 400 gb.

i read some where that running chkdsk on the command prompt might fix it but it also says it might make it even worse

what do?
>>
pls help you guys
>>
You might be better off asking on /g/, they have a stupid questions thread for normies to get assistance. I'm not a pro or anything.

First try googling around to see if anyone else has the same problem with the drive first. It might just be some kind of other issue like USB and not the drive dying on you. But if you don't find anything, go on seagate's website and download their diagnostics program and then run it on the drive. I'm assuming there will be a support page for the model you own and things you can download for it. Once you do that you'll know the actual status of your drive's health and from there whether or not you might just have to buy a new one (or apply for a warranty replacement via RMA, if you bought it recently enough). There will be ways to retrieve whatever data is left on it if it is merely just now dying, but if it is already fully dead you might be screwed.
>>
>>9057
/g/ actually kicked me out and sent me here the bastards. thanks man ill try that
>>
>>9012
Okay, and this is important:

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE, GO BUY A BIGGER DISK AND IMAGE THIS ONE ONTO IT.

If your disk is failing, you want as good a backup as you can get.

If it's MBR-partitioned, just dd_rescue it onto another disk, and done.

If it's GPT-partitioned, you've got a massive PITA on your hands. GPT complains (as in, won't-boot, dataloss, silent corruption, all kinds of end-of-the-world shit) if it sees any of the following:
- two partitions with the same unique id
- two drives with the same unique id
- a drive that's a different size than the partion tables say it is
- a drive where the end partition table isn't at the end

If you have a GPT drive, you'll need to manually recreate the partition structure on your new drive, and then dd_rescue the data in, partition-by-partition.

At the moment there's only one copy of the data you want back. If you fuck up, you'll be left with zero copies.

Don't be the guy that fucks up. Go buy a new disk, and make a backup now.

Now.
>>
>>9012
Don't run chkdsk on it or do anything that could write to the disk. Get a copy of Hiren's boot disk or something like that, boot from that, plug in the drive and see if you can access it from there.
>>
>>9012
Next time consider getting an external from a reputable manufacturer like Western Digital.
>>
DBAN
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.