[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weird manga recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: rei2.png (1 MB, 1366x764) Image search: [Google]
rei2.png
1 MB, 1366x764
My favorite anime are the likes of Serial Experiments Lain, Evangelion, Utena, Angel's Egg, Haibane Renmei, FLCL or Kaiba. So basically ones that could be considered slightly weird, surreal and psychological with a strong emphasis on visual stylization.

Now I'm trying to get more into manga so I'm wondering, are there any titles similar to those works?

I'll also point out that despite being surreal, none of the above works I mentioned have the weird elements as a result of the character dreaming, being drugged etc. The weird is still an integral part of the reality presented in the work.
>>
Oddman 11
Abnormal-kei Joshi
Ano Ko no Ie
Medaka Box
>>
Alien 9 and Milk Closet.
>>
File: 1431953208035.jpg (129 KB, 1200x874) Image search: [Google]
1431953208035.jpg
129 KB, 1200x874
>>24706
Definitely Milk Closet, one of my personal favorites.

Oyasumi Pun Pun
Devilman
The works of Shintaro Kago (Start with Kasutoro Shiki)
Fourteen / Drifting Classroom / Right Hand of God Left Hand of the Devil
The works of Junji Ito (star with Uzimaki)
Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko
Parasyte
Barakamon / Hallucinations of the Womb / Narutaru
Kouko no Hito
Tropical Citron / Freesia
Mononoke Soushi
Qualia the Purple
Shigurui
Music of Marie
Ultra Heaven

Remember to look at the author of things you liked, and then to read all their works as well.
>>
Kyousou Giga has awesome visual style
>>
>>24749
Read the OP again.
>>
>>24744
>>24706
>>24689
Thanks a lot. Read some of those and I'll look over the rest.
>>
>>24744
>>24870
I said Barakamon, I meant Bokurano.
>>
Aku no Hana, I suggest the manga over the anime since I'm not a fan of rotoscoping but the design choice of the anime was meant to reflect the disgusting personalities of the characters, from what I hear.
>>
File: oyasumi_punpun_v02_090-091.png (642 KB, 1669x1200) Image search: [Google]
oyasumi_punpun_v02_090-091.png
642 KB, 1669x1200
>>24587
Eden: It's an Endless World!, Hi no Tori, Dorohedoro, Humunculus, Oyasumi Punpun, Takemitsu Zamurai, Battle Angel Alita, Blame!, Devilman, and Uzumaki.

The one I recommend for you to watch first is either Oyasumi Punpun or Battle Angel Alita.

Punpun is a Coming of Age story with some of the most realistic depictions of people in a manga ever written.

Battle Angel Alita is up there with Evangelion and GitS as contender for all time greatest works of sci-fi in manga form.
>>
>>24587
Nickelodeon by Douman Seiman.
>>
Franken Fran.
>>
Nekojiru Udon.
>>
>>24587
Madoka Magica has some really surreal aesthetics.
>>
File: God.jpg (65 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
God.jpg
65 KB, 1000x1000
You'd love Oyasumi Punpun.
>>
>>24587
Uzumaki
>>
Feng Shen Ji.
>>
>>24587
SOIL
>>
Homunculus
>>
>>24587
Stein's;gate its gr8 m8
>>
>>25458
Thanks, I've read most of those. Thing is most of those don't qualify at all. How is Eden, Punpun, Zamurai or Alita surreal?
>>25577
>>25926
>>26273
Heard of those will check them out.
>>26276
Madoka Magica just like Eva origininated as an anime.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.