[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homework Help Request
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2386x2893) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2386x2893
I don't need the answers or for someone to finish it for me or anything, I'm just kind of an idiot when it comes to math and am having a bit of trouble finding help for this. It's only Pre-Cal, but I can't figure out what I should be doing first and what my conclusion should look like.

I know how to multiply/add vectors and find magnitudes and all of that, I just don't know how to tie it together to solve them

Can someone help me figure out what steps and what order Id need to complete in order to find the magnitude of these equations?
>>
>>23614
well, the sheet is asking one thing, and you're asing for another.

You say you can multiply/add/find magnitude of vectors. This is what the sheet wants.

Are you saying, after solving, say #8 (b-a) that you have to find || b-a || (magnitude) ?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>23630
That's it, I'm just not sure if I'm going about it the proper way and I need to make a pretty high grade because I've been performing pretty badly in math so I wanna make sure it's right

I guess the problem is that I'm not sure if I should be using the coordinates or the x and y components to solve them
>>
>>23640
ah, got you. You can use either. I always found it easiest to use coordinates for adding, and components for magnitude, since magnitude is a pure number.

Most vectors are best used with components though, because vectors arent defined by their coordinate on the xy plane, just the directional components on said plane.

# 2 can be simplified. Dont know if you're teacher requires that. ROOT (180) = 6* ROOT(5). /// 9*20 = 180, 9*4*5 = 180, 3*2*ROOT(5) blah blah.
>>
>>23640
you are doing it right.
each vector should be added as if each one of them had it's origin at (0,0), for example:
a+b=(4,-3)+(2,4)=(6,1)
therefore |a+b|=sqrt(37)
>>
>>23614
So the best way to do these is to write out each vector in term of x & y components, then do the operation KEEPING TRACK of the components, and then finally do the pythagorean theorem on those components to get magnitude. Simplify afterward.
>>
>>23647
just forgot to say, if you want to be more strict:
a=(5,1)-(1,4)
and b=(4,1)-(2,-3)

since none of them originate from (0,0) but for all practical purposes it makes no difference.
>>
obviously for 16 through 19 you'llbe using sines and cosines to define teh lengths of the component vectors and then relate them to the magnitude in an equation
>>
>>23650
>>23647
this guy has it right. And its good that he shows how the coordinates relate to the components.
>>
>>23647
Ah thanks, this is basically what I needed. I always figure if I think I'm doing it correctly, it must be wrong

>>23646
that's what I was wondering about, whether I should be using the coordinates or if it was possible to use the x y components because I'm still not so sure about what to do with them anyway

You guys are great, thanks for clearing it up
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.