[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Deep Anime"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
requesting existential, thoughtful, provocative or otherwise emotionally complex and artistic animu's. I've already enjoyed GITS, NGE, EOE, SEL, Death Note, Akira, Dennou Coil... I prefer sci-fi, but anything trippy is appreciated...
>>
>Think NGE is deep in any way

Yeah, there is no anime that is deep enough to fill that obviously endless well of thought you have going there. That said, since you have no taste, try Higurashi if you want something thought-provoking and is a bit different from the other stuff you have seen. Good mystery.
>>
>>22646
shit post much?
>>22631
many people have said it many time, but kaiba. Haibane renmai is pretty though provoking.

ergo proxy?
ano hana for letting go? bokurano for feels?
I suggested this in another thread, but 9 love stories. People need to watch that because it makes you think about life.
>>
>>22631
haibane renmei
Shinsekai yori
angels egg
madoka
>>
>>22646
>>
>>22655
>>22665
thanks guys, this stuff looks promising
>>
>>22631
Welcome to the NHK, It explores mental issues well, largely dealing with the main character's crippling social anxiety
>>
>>22631
For me, Berserk was really what leapt to mind when I read your query. At lot of people get a lot of that from The Tatami Galaxy, I'm aware, as well.
>>
>>22665
Seconding Haibane Renmei and Madoka. Probably SY as well. NHK too. Lain. Kaiba.

Spoiler - Narutaru (with the most hilariously misleading OP in history)
>>
>>22631
Kino no Tabi
Mononoke
Mushishi
Lain
Paranoia Agent
>>
Serial Experiments Lain
>>
Actually thinking about it, Narutaru is probably a good choice - what would happen if you gave superpowered familiars to a bunch of ordinary but messed up kids - leaders, followers, sociopaths, victims, etc? It's a surprisingly slow build to a nasty end.
>>
>>23052
>>23041
>>23038
>>23030
>>22943
>>22839
I'm obviously pretty new to anime, I just would like to avoid wasting too much time slogging through moe/waifu stuff and mindless action adventures. I abbreviated Lain as SEL and did enjoy Berserk as well, I hear some new stuff is being made too...
>>
>>23057
forgot to mention, I'm now 6 episodes into Kaiba and definitely enjoying it, animation style reminds me of Ralph Bakshi...
>>
Mawaru Penguindrum is a must watch.
>>
OP, I like your comments - I suspect we have similar tastes. Most anime I don't bother keeping but below are the ones I've actually archived and some I've watched a couple of times, so I think they're a little above average. FWIW.

Bounen no Xamdou (SF adventure)
Dennou Coil
Eureka Seven (moments of greatness here, not perfect at all but god help me I'm gay for this show)
FLCL (comedy, but nonlinear and smart)
Freedom (Dai Sato, Eureka 7 writer, many similar thematic bits but not as good)
Gargantia (SF adventure)
Gate (SF/fantasy adventure, just stupid fun)
Genshiken (geek/fandom character-based stuff)
Ghost in the Shell
Haibane Renmei
Ima Soko ni Iru Boku (SF adventure, pretty dark actually)
KON (sue me)
Kaiba
Kuragehime (more geek/fandom character-based, kinda funny)
Lain
Last Exile (SF/steampunk adventure, quite good)
Madoka_Magica
Mai Hime (dunno why I kept this but I liked it)
Moretsu Pirates (SF adventure, lots of golden age nods, surprisingly smart)
Narutaru
Noein (can't believe I forgot this - worth a look)
Paranoia Agent
Planetes (hard SF adventure)
Samurai Champloo (worthwhile)
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei (clever)
Scrapped Princess (fantasy/SF adventure, just fun)
Shiki (vampire story, could easily work as live action, quite good)
Shinsekai Yori
Sidonia no Kishi (SF adventure, borderline but watchable)
Sora no Woto (sue me)
Twin Spica (incredibly slow and full of feels)
Welcome to the NHK
>>
The Big O.
You'll thank me after the first season, then hate me by the finale.
Damn good series oozing with style and questions waiting to be answered.

"We have come to terms"
>>
>>22631
Not exactly "deep" but I think you'd enjoy Aoi Bungaku.
>>
>>23645
is that how people are about Big O now? its not like soul eater where it turns to shit after the first half.

It is a deeper anime than it seems too. Second half is just a whole 'nother animal. Still good. Nice mystery!
>>23281
This is a good list. Skip the ones he mentioned (sue me) on, not because they arent good but because they arent really what you are looking for.

Freedom sucks though. Beware of that. I've yet to find an anime that had as good a first episode as it has and then fail to deliver in anyway afterward.
>>
Shinreigari: Ghost Hound
Boogiepop Phantom.
>>
Parasyte
>>
I'd recommend actually learning what makes things deep before you watch things that are touted as deep.
The whole point of such shows is that if you analyze them you really learn a whole bunch, but it does no good just going straight in without an inkling on how to see their hidden depths.
>>
>>23746
If I like the first episode of something I generally look up some more info (themes, reviews etc.) before continuing the series. Thanks for all the recommendations so far, guys!
>>
Date A Live
>>
>>22631
Tatami Galaxy
>>
>>22631
I'll give you the essentials:
Angel's Egg
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Kaiba
Next if you like any of those check out any other anime by the same directors as those or the creators of Lain or the director of NGE. You will be able to expand and find more of what you look for.

The director that made Dennou Coil only made that, sadly he was too harsh on his employers and probably no one will want to ever work for him again.
>>23281
You haven't seen Utena?
>>
>>23978
Oh, also FLCL since it's also a different director than those and is the protege of NGE's director.
>>
>>23160
Strong second. Particularly since the first word OP used was "existential."
>>
Hey did you know there is already an anime recommendation general?
>>
>>23978
>>>23281 (You)
>You haven't seen Utena?

Been on my list. Seeds being the problem. I see it's on youtube though, so I'll make a point of it.
>>
>there are like 20 anime recommendation requests
so how long until people realize this general exists?
>>
>>24046
We apologize that your internet experience has been compromised since you are now forced to click on each and every thread regardless of whether or not it interests you. We, the user base, will do our best henceforth to ensure that your own personal tastes in discussion structure are adhered to by all of us.
>>
>>24046
dont want your garbage general and garbage general culture. Glad you've decided to actively shit up other threads for this. THanks!

>>22631
Theres Kemonozume. Not really deep, but its got great themes and artstyle.
>>
>>24046
Get the fuck out of here with that. Only autists use generals.
>>
File: boku 232313742.jpg (125 KB, 817x501) Image search: [Google]
boku 232313742.jpg
125 KB, 817x501
> ctl+f "boku no Pico"
> zero results
I don't know if this makes this board better or worse than /a/
>>
>>24046
Fuck off redditard
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.