[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What software do I need to clone my Windows 10 OS from an HDD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Windows-10-Logo.png (50 KB, 2000x370) Image search: [Google]
Windows-10-Logo.png
50 KB, 2000x370
What software do I need to clone my Windows 10 OS from an HDD to an SSD?
>>
>>20773
Gparted live cd.

You can't clone a GPT disk, because they're full of UUIDs that need to remain unique. If Windows sees the same partition on two disks at the same time, it asplodes.

Instead, create a new partition table, and copy all the partitions across.
>>
>>20794
Will there be no issue in copying an HDD-fit partition of Windows to an SSD? Will I need to carry out further actions in regard to the HDD --> SSD transferring process or will it all be ezpz lemon squeezy?
>>
>>20810
Don't do it, do a clean install. From HDD to SDD is not a smart idea, it might work but it is not gonna be as smooth.
>>
>>20814
So how do you do a clean install? I have a legit version of Windows and want to keep it that way.
>>
>>20816
same way you installed it the first time
>>
>>20816
>>20814
Don't listen to him: it'll go absolutely fine.

All you need to do is make an install DVD/install USB first, copy the partitions, then if it doesn't boot, disconnect the hard disk, boot off the DVD and tell it to fix the boot.

Here's a guide to doing that: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33433/restore-the-windows-boot-loader-after-an-ubuntu-update/

Once it boots, you can plug the hard disk back in. Don't just delete the files off the old partition, actually delete it and recreate it, so's you end up with a different UUID from the copy you made.
>>
>>20773
Here's how to install Windows 10 from scratch on your new SSD.

- Make sure you have a valid windows 7 product key if your computer didn't come pre installed with windows 8 or 10. With win8 and win10, the product key is bios-based.

1. On your computer, download the windows 10 media creation tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
2. Go through the program and select "create installation media for another PC"
3. Use the tool to put win10 installation media on either a usb drive or a dvd.
4. Turn off your computer, remove old hdd, insert new ssd.
5. Insert the usb drive or dvd and boot to it.
6. Install windows 10.
7. If your pc came preinstalled with win7, enter your windows 7 product key when it asks for a key
8. Once windows 10 is installed on the new ssd, you can put back in your old hdd and grab your files off it. Make sure you are still booting from the ssd when you do this.
>>
>>20773
>>21201
OP, I would recommend following these instructions and doing a clean install on your ssd rather than trying to clone your old drive. It is MUCH easier to do a fresh win10 install and there will be so many fewer problems than if you clone it.

If you REALLY want to clone it, let me know and I can give you more advice.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.