[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slightly odd request:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: me using public transportation.png (489 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
me using public transportation.png
489 KB, 600x600
Do you know of any media (books, movies, games, etc) that use existentialism and absurdism as major themes, or at least as themes mentioned/explored? It doesn't have to be blatantly obvious, for example, one of my favorite things about Undertale was the concept of somebody continuing to actively exist knowing the meaningless absurdity of their situation. [spoiler] I'm talking about Sans and the timeloops. [/spoiler] So even if the relation is sort of convoluted or subjective, I'd like to see if anyone's got anything.
>>
Camus' "The Stranger" is a good place to start, along with his Sisyphus essay. Jean Paul Sartre also wrote on the matter but I'm not familiar with any of his actual works in it besides his essays. Look him up!
>>
Would Groundhog Day fit? Phil also questions his situation as he finds a way out of the repeating day.

Coincidentally, the story I'm writing may interest you (search Cold Bricks Glow).
>>
I really enjoyed a scanner darkly (the book, although the film is also good). Though I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing that you're looking for.

You could also follow Jaden Smith on twitter.
>>
Crime and Punishment by,I believe, Dostoyevsky. Metamorphosis by Kafka is one of my favorites.
>>
Thomas Was Alone
>>
File: 1451315365177.jpg (19 KB, 661x720) Image search: [Google]
1451315365177.jpg
19 KB, 661x720
>>19645
Reading through Sisyphus right now. It's what's currently inspiring me to make this request. Jean Paul Sartre is one of my favorites, and I especially love his plays (No Exit, The Flies, etc.)
>>19647
Groundhog Day is definitely an interesting movie. I'm sorry that my spoiler tags didn't work above, but it is related to the timeloop idea, yes....what I enjoy is how particularly absurd situations reveal common human truths. Your story looks very interesting, anon.
>>19664
>Jaden Smith
Hey, don't patronize me.
>>
>>19641
I think Lisa is kind of like that. There's a lot of absurd characters and the whole story kind of fucks you in the ass. It's more mature and dark but very similar to Undertale and Earthbound.
>>
>>19932
Does anyone have a good Lisa torrent, though?
>>
A fun short play to read is "Rosecrans and Guildenstern are Dead"(spelling is probably off I forgot the exact names) but it takes place in the background of Hamlet.
>>
>>20009
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern is actually one of my favorite things of all time. I had to restrain myself form putting an exclamation mark there. I wish I could write like Stoppard.
>>
Mawaru Penguindrum contains a lot of existential themes, like the nature of fate, the desire to sacrifice oneself for the sake of another person, and rebellion against the inevitability of death. I'd recommend GG's fansub: https://www.nyaa.eu/?page=view&tid=275585
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.