[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Problems with a new computer config.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: amd_athlon_x4_860k_13.jpg (1 MB, 2836x2447) Image search: [Google]
amd_athlon_x4_860k_13.jpg
1 MB, 2836x2447
Hello anons, I got some money to upgrade my pc to almost a level of decency. Warning, long post.

I asked 3 different people who are leagues above my knowledge to get the right components for my new config, so I bought, with a 300 euros budget:

>Processor: AMD Athlon X4 860k
>Graphic Card: GTX Palit Storm OC 750Ti
>Ram: 8 Gb 1866 mhz Kingston HyperX
>Mobo: F2A78M-DS2 by Gigabyte.

The Power Supply, the Case and the HDD were alright, so I didn't change them.

>The build was easy, even if it was my first, and luckily for every doubt I had I asked one question.

I tried to turn it on, and all the fans started immediatly.

I use a VGA cable, so I put it on the Graphic Card slot.

They told me that I had to restart it many times to make it recognise the new card before drive configuration.

I restarded many times, but I don't get any signal, so I asked for help and I did these things:

>Checked if the VGA cable was ok, and it worked on different machines, like my laptop and TV.

>Checked if the Graphic Card was ok, by putting it on my old system, it got recognised immediatly.

>Checked the RAM, all fine.

>My power supply have enough energy to power up the CPU but it was only 4 pins vs 8 of the mobo port, so I bought an adaptor thinking of an artificial restriction, still no results.

So I though of a POST problem.

May it be that my Mobo needs a BIOS update to support my processor? It's the last thing I'm thinking of right now. Thank you in advance for your help. I will ask any further questions ASAP.
>>
Also, the Mobo seems to lack a beeper slot, I don't know if it is integrated or not, but I didn't hear any sound on the start-up.
>>
Use the onboard GPU to get in and update those BIOS.

You should be set after that.
>>
>>18510

Sorry for my ignorance, which onboard GPU?

I didn't saw the presence of it in the manual.

Mind you explain more please?
>>
>>18514
Just plug your monitor into the Mobo instead of your GPU
>>
>>18520
I tried them both of course.

But the Athlon 860k doesn't have a GPU if you are referring to that.

As they told me it's a a10 7850k devoided of GPU.
>>
>>18524
Then use another computer to download the update needed and flash it using a USB, I assume your mobo can do that.

Or you can get another CPU and use that to get in and download the needed update, then switch it out.
>>
>>18536
>Well Gigabytes Mobos can do that with the Q Flash Plus function, but, after searching my mobo it seems like that it has only the Q Flash function.

About the CPU purchase, I wanted to avoid spending more money if possible, buying a CPU just for upgrading the Bios seems a great waste of money, so if I could avoid that it would be wonderful.
>>
>>18536
>Then use another computer to download the update needed and flash it using a USB, I assume your mobo can do that.
Presumably not without a functioning processor it can't.
>>
>>18496
I know this is probably not the case, but I'll kick myself if I don't ask.

Is your RAM next to each other, or is it spaced properly (e.g. slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4)?
>>
>>18573
The board only has 2 DIMM slots, thats not the problem.
>>
>>18573
I put it into the first slot anyways.
>>
>>18496
>AMD

Well there's the first problem.
>>
Up.
>>
>>18496
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128694
I checked newegg and a lot of customers who posted reviews have received defect or DOA units, over half of them. It could be your board that is your problem.

Also checking other customer reviews against anon's or, in your case, your friends recommendations could save you from this hassle.
>>
>>19046
Is there a way to see if the Mobo is the problem without having to buy another processor? You know it would be sad if I had to spend money on something that doesn't fix the problem.
>>
Last Up for the last question. >>19176

Also thank you for all the replies.
>>
>>19176
Yeah, send it back.
>>
>inb4 you put too much thermal paste
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.