[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tech Related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: ancient piece of shit.jpg (24 KB, 489x372) Image search: [Google]
ancient piece of shit.jpg
24 KB, 489x372
Well, I have this old as fuck computer.
I only use the computer for 4chan, watching series and playing retro and indie games, but every year the indie games need more resources and stuff.
I have money to buy a new pc, but i prefer to fix this one because i don't really need a high-end PC to play Terraria on high.
What parts should i buy?
Also, is there a website where i can learn about computer hardware? I don't understand a shit about what RAM or Motherboard means.
>>
Don't fix that at all, it's not worth it. Basically just buy a ~$500 PC and you're good to go.
>>
>1gb ddr2
>am2 socket mobo
wew lad. you could upgrade the ram, but ddr2 ram is comparatively expensive becase it's not reproduced anymore
>>
there is no way you'll get fitting components factory new. hell, you'd have difficulty replacing some hardware that is only 2 years old, let alone this ancient machine. current hardware is roughly 6 generations ahead.

and if you replace anything with current hardware, you pretty much have to replace everything. can't replace the CPU without replacing the motherboard. replacing the motherboard means replacing the RAM and ideally the graphics card as well.

complete low-end systems are not that expensive. you can probably get a laptop for 200 bucks that is four times as fast as your old machine, just because technology advanced so much. i would honestly recommend buying a complete PC or notebook, since it usually comes with a current OS pre-installed.

XP's days are over. support has ended two years ago and it's becoming more and more unsecure. it also doesn't work with current 64bit hardware. problem is - it's probably the last system that could really run old Windows games. it sucks, when you want to play retro games a lot.
>>
>>16879
It is possible but only if you invest the time to learn and you'll have to buy everything used. It's up to you if you want to waste money and time in upgrading an old ass machine. Understand that your computer's upgrade paths are very limited though apparently your mobo is AM2+ compatible so there are some low-end but decent CPU's that you could get. You'll probably would need more DDR2 ram and maybe even a low end GPU. All in all probably less than 100 bucks.
>>
>i prefer to fix this one
is it broken?
>>
you could get a refurbished thinkpad for <$200 that would be just fine for 4chan and playing retro games.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.