[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey anons, I wanted to know how much power I would need for my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: anton.png (376 KB, 412x420) Image search: [Google]
anton.png
376 KB, 412x420
Hey anons, I wanted to know how much power I would need for my new gaming PC

>gtx 970
>i5 4690k
>only one SSD
>4 sticks of 8GB ram

Currently I have a 500W powersupply, will that do?
>>
Is that 4 sticks of 8gb ram each equalling 32 gbs of ram or 4 sticks that come to a total of 8gb ram
Also just use it and see if it works. If you have issues get a higher wattage simple as that
>>
>>16251
4 sticks of 8 gb each ram
>>
>>16242
google pcpartpicker. Website calculates your estimated wattage usage on the low side. Remember to add fans and such.

Also why so much freaking ram?
>>
>>16256
my brother who works at google as a programmer starting making fun of me when I mentioned getting 16gb of ram

He suggested 64
>>
>>16257
I work for a company that specializes in cloud architecture, your brother was trolling the shit out of you. 8GB is plenty fine for a gaming computer and 16GB is practically overkill.
>>
>>16257
>>16263
RAM is never wasted. It just gets used as fscache.

You'll appreciate having 64 the first time you press "build" or "render".
>>
>>16270
Well I really don't know much about this, but I only use my PC for playing video games.

Otherwise I use my laptop always for work/personal business

I just want to play KF2 on high with 60fps constant
>>
>>16271
Also, what sort of cooling would I need? I'm getting a $30 cooling fan seen here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

But I'm not sure if that's enough
>>
>>16271
Although I believe KF2 looks gorgeous, it isn't a very graphically intense game. You will have no problem running it at max with those specs.

You picked probably one of the most loved cpu coolers of all time, and it will do fine even under slight overclocking. But KF2 won't need that.

>>16270
>Hurr duurr, what is a gaming computer?
>>
File: cooling plates.png (653 KB, 527x927) Image search: [Google]
cooling plates.png
653 KB, 527x927
>>16281
Awesome, you anons have been a great help

One more thing before I purchase the cooling fan though, I measured the plates on the back of my computer and found that the plate sizes don't match the fan I got, I'm around 80mm while the fan is 120

Can I just drill holes and make my own spot for the fan?

pic related, sorry for the low quality
>>
>>16257
16 should be sufficient for most things. If you're not video editing and rendering a lot of shit, then there's really no point to go beyond that. 8 for gaming, 16 for video editing.
>>
>>16281
Meh, you're just jell. My laptop has more memory than your "gaming computer". There's only one reason not to max your RAM, and that's "being poor".

You'll never experience the freedom of not having to close everything just to play a game.
>>
File: 1324657.png (97 KB, 742x931) Image search: [Google]
1324657.png
97 KB, 742x931
>>16242
Not exact I know, but gives you a good idea.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.