[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Computer crashing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Foot Bailure.png (650 KB, 2999x2999) Image search: [Google]
Foot Bailure.png
650 KB, 2999x2999
My computer goes very slow and crashes when I access folders with many files. It hasn't been a problem for a while, but today I've had three crashes.

I can reproduce the problem by opening any folder with a lot of content and waiting, or by clicking deeper and deeper and trying to open things. Generally speaking, trying to open a file that hasn't loaded a thumbnail will cause issues. It also seems that if I visit any one folder enough the problem goes away, but if I start suddenly using another I'll get the problem again.

(pic unrelated outside of being computery)
>>
>>155406
I should note, CPU and memory usage appear to be perfectly normal while this is happening, but the machine freezes up completely for minutes at a time and eventually crashes.
>>
try defragging your hard drive, it's probably super fragmented
>>
>>155450
That seems to be recommendation number 1 from a number of sources. What risks are there to defragging? I've got pieces saying you should back up everything beforehand; is that overly cautious?
>>
>>155454
>is that overly cautious?
Yes.
>>
>>155454
it just reorganizes the disc so that the head can read data more efficiently. it won't do anything to your files
>>
>>155454
they tell you to backup your stuff because it's good practice. any drive can crash at any moment, especially when it's undergoing intensive work
>>
>>155406
If it's an SSD don't defrag it though, you will have to find another solution. Defragging an SSD is a bad idea.
>>
>>155461
That's what I thought, but then >>155455 >>155467

I've been meaning to grab a back up drive and copy things over, but if that will also take a year due to fragmentation then I'll just defrag it first.

>>155498
It's just a normal hard drive. I'm planning on buying a few for backup purposes.
>>
>>155498
>Defragging an SSD is a bad idea.
It's not a terrible idea.

The minus side is that it needlessly drives up the SSD's write count, which isn't really the issue it was back when SSDs were new and experimental. SSDs nowadays can put up with thousands of full-device writes, meaning you could defragment your disk every single day for years without killing it. Here's a guy that ran a bunch of SSDs at full-speed write non-stop for over a year: http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

The plus side is that it keeps related data contiguous, which spreads it across cache lines and means your reads and writes can exploit the full parallelism of the SSD. SSDs *are* faster at sequential I/O, primarily because sequential I/O is always spread evenly across every bank of chips (much like with multi-channel RAM).

Even if the FTL isn't putting data where it says it's putting data, the way every defragmenter writes a single contiguous file at a time means that the FTL will lay the file down contiguously *somewhere*. In addition, it leaves the free space contiguous, meaning that files the OS writes later will also be laid down contiguously.

The cost is miniscule, and there is a benefit. If you do defrag an SSD, certainly don't worry that you've ruined it.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.