[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Naming my computer.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: permanence.png (103 KB, 740x650) Image search: [Google]
permanence.png
103 KB, 740x650
Naming my computer.

Pic is my predicament. I have actually spent hours reaching this as it become an obsession. Finally narrowed my goals into a list.

#. Simple enough most people wouldn't get it, unless they actually thought about it. (clever/interesting for those who get it, that middle ground of unique by not alien, which is harder then it sounds)
#. Discourages people from linking to it. (Don't want people trying to link to it)
#. very technical/sci-fi (I like that stuff and wanted to eliminate a lot of ideas so I added this restriction)

I am still open to any ideas, but am now looking for some technical/sci-fi variation of Pandora's box that is fairly unknown but still shows up on google.

Any new input would be nice.
>>
>Naming your computer
Why?
>>
>>154785
Computer terminal 1
>>
>>154789
The unit needs to have a designation so the network can identify it for communications proposes. If it's not named it can't talk to the network, which includes modem linking it to the internet.

Just about anything can work, and many just use the defaults, but many other like me want something else.
>>
What's wrong with the good old-fashioned standby of themed naming? One of my friends uses element names. I use Shakespeare characters. (The machine I'm typing this on is named PORTIA. My previous one was MERCUTIO, but it's been decommissioned.) Having a decent well to draw names from allows you to pick names with thematic connections if you want and it prevents you from getting too bogged down with choices for every individual machine.

If you want to do sci-fi, pick, I don't know, Asimov novels. Name your machine DANEEL or REVENTLOV. Or pick any other author, or pick author names themselves. As long as it fits a theme.

Greek mythology is a possibility, if you can remember it. If PANDORA and PROMETHEUS are too on the nose, try ARACHNE or EPIMETHEUS or GALATEA.

Really, this shouldn't take hours. Plenty of fun naming choices out there.
>>
>>154813
Thanks, that was the spark that did it. I think
Rhodomagnetic Relay Array
is the name I should use, as
Positronic Neural Net
might be too mainstream, or is Rhodomagnetic too obscure?
>>
>>154834
Too obscure for *who*? In general, either you want your machine to be discoverable, in which case, give it a name that describes its function (PRINTERSERVER), or you want it to be completely inconspicuous, in which case you might as well go for something completely random like a GUID -- good luck guessing b4596418-3186-4da5-982c-08f4e9892319, mr. Hacker. (And good luck to you too if you need to remember it.)

For a machine with no shared function, on your own local network, which is never expected to be discoverable by anyone who isn't already on the network, you can pick whatever you damn well please. But something long like "rhodomagnetic relay array" can easily get you in trouble with tools that expect you to pick something that fits in a small box. And/or does not contain spaces. "Rhodomagnetic" would be fine. I'd stick to single-word hosts, easier to remember too. But, like I said, it's your machine, you can basically do what you like. Who cares if anyone gets your references? Cute bonus if they do, but I didn't chew out my friend because OSMIUM is too obvious. It's a host name, not a plot element in a Dan Brown novel.
>>
Naming a computer should be fun, not difficult. When I run across a name I like, I jot it down for future reference. I've got a huge list of potential names and often have trouble picking from them all.
>>
BOMBDETONATIONSERVER
>>
"Delete System32"
>>
I just name my computer Aibou
>>
>>154785
Having read through your requirement statement, it's clear that you have no imagination.

So just google "list of Culture ship names", and pick one you like.

Two words max; one ideally.
>>
>>154800
This is not true.

IP functions just fine in the absence of DNS. Look at all the games consoles, lightbulbs, and mobile phones with no name whatsoever.
>>
Noire
>>
>>154785
Virus.exe
>>
File: 1467546567669.jpg (26 KB, 285x281) Image search: [Google]
1467546567669.jpg
26 KB, 285x281
>>154785
Just cut the gay shit and name it [your name/username]-[device], e.g bill-laptop or anon-pc. Chances are you're running some version of Winblows so it'll barely fucking matter anyway.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.