[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This morning my computer started having graphical artifacts.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
This morning my computer started having graphical artifacts. This afternoon, my games started crashing. Now my computer crashes on the windows "welcome" splash screen thing with a crazy amount of artifacts and fucked up graphics.

I know all these are the telltale signs of GPU death. My computer is running okay in Safe Mode with Networking, but my monitor is working through using my graphics card. My graphics card wasn't getting heated before it died either. I was getting crashes with the card only ~37 degrees Fahrenheit.

Could it just be drivers? Or something else? I really can't afford to buy a new graphics card right now.
>>
try lowering the resolution of your computer
>>
>>152585
I'm only running it at 1080p. Is there a way to lower it without starting up?
>>
>>152581
>Could it just be drivers?
Did you change the drivers immediately before it started happening?

If not, no.
>>
>>152581
>>152581
>I really can't afford to buy a new graphics card right now.
If you just need your computer to work, completely uninstall the graphics driver, and don't install a new one.

The fallback driver ("Standard VGA Controller") in Windows never activates "GPU mode" on the card, and doesn't do stuff like bus mastering that lets the card crash the computer.

Downside, of course, is limited resolution and no anything acceleration. Enjoy Minesweeper.
>>
>>152598
Fuck, I guess I have to bite the bullet and just buy a new GPU. Any recommendations? I've got ~300 bucks in my emergency funds to spend, but I want the GPU to last a while.
>>
>>152601
- Do without until the 10x0s distort the market.
- Get an Xbox
- Flush $20 down the toilet every month

Seriously, though, GPUs depreciate like fuck anyway, but at the moment with the impending 1060, only an imbecile would buy one instead of waiting a month or two.
>>
>>152607
I have a 250 dollar walmart gift card, and they've got a GTX 970 for $280. I'll probably just go with this because I'm a NEET that can't go without games for a few fucking days.
>>
>>152608
>And get this: The GTX 1060 is even faster than AMD’s $200 stunner and Nvidia’s former $500 flagship, the GTX 980, but still won’t break the bank at $250
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3092193/components-graphics/nvidias-geforce-gtx-1060-is-a-250-gtx-980-killer.html

Like I said, you'd have to be an imbecile.
>>
>>152581
try re-seating the gpu. blow out the pcie slot with compressed air. if that doesnt work, you can try re-flowing the bga chips. usually the main gpu chip and/or the ram chips.
>>
>>152875
and depending on how old it is, you might want to take off the heatsink/fan and dust that out too and re-apply thermal paste
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.