[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
new hard drive problems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: ouo2RnNh.jpg (62 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ouo2RnNh.jpg
62 KB, 1024x768
I just installed a new hard drive into an old pc and am trying to install Windows 7 on it. During the install, at the "Where do you want to install Windows?" part, my computer can't find the hard drive.

Another thing, when I boot up the computer I hear odd robotic beep sounds coming from the hardware. It's two beeps, one long drawn out beep and then a short one, and then repeats for about 30 seconds before going silent. The beeps seem to be coming from the hard drive bay. If you need video of the sound I will try taking some.. it's kinda hard to describe.

The damn drive was shipped from Amazon and they didn't package it very well. The drive itself was in a bubble wrap packaging with just a few air pillows to protect it from moving about. I'm sure it's okay but i just don't know.
>>
>>151668
Can you format it on another PC?
>>
>>151672
I only have a laptop, and no tools to connect it
>>
I have to ask if you're ABSOLUTELY sure that it is connected correctly? You have double checked the power and data (SATA) connections on both ends.

Do you know how to view the BIOS screen? By pressing a key like Delete or F2 depending on motherboard? If the hard drive isn't listed in the BIOS, an operating system will never see it.

You can always get a SATA to USB adapter to see if it's recognized by any computer that has a free USB port.

But it could be a bad drive. We all get one at some point.
>>
>>151668
Is it making this sound?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hq7f4Sf9jLI

If so, the head is stuck to the platter, and the drive is toast.
>>
>>151689
yes everything is connected. I removed the cover and unplugged/replugged.. same results

>>151708
i added some videos:

1) when turning on the power supply switch:
https://youtu.be/QHEsrAU72ew

2) loud boot, beeping sound (sounds like it wants to implode):
https://youtu.be/XZHSDarG26Y

3) normal boot, beeping sound (doesn't 'loud boot' again until the switch is turned off):
https://youtu.be/UXIPDg8fud4
>>
File: VgkWepY.jpg (4 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
VgkWepY.jpg
4 MB, 4320x3240
>>151689
some screenshots
>>
File: e4ecWlH.jpg (3 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
e4ecWlH.jpg
3 MB, 4320x3240
>>
File: tt5KNhC.jpg (2 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
tt5KNhC.jpg
2 MB, 4320x3240
>>
>>151868
>>151730
>>151729
>>151728
>>151726
You don't need to keep bumping.

The heads are stuck, and your drive is dead. The "beeping" noise is the platter trying to spin, but not being able to because the heads are welded to it. Hard disks do not have speakers in them.

It absolutely is not okay, and you should warranty it while you still can.
>>
>>151946
yea just decided to return the thing, kills me to return stuff though. i put in the old hard drive and had no issues other than it sounds like it wants to die. thanks for your help and input :]
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.