[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a good gaming laptop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: l_metabox-clevo-n170rd.gif (360 KB, 962x688) Image search: [Google]
l_metabox-clevo-n170rd.gif
360 KB, 962x688
Not looking to play the Witcher 3 on the highest settings or anything, but a good solid laptop that will last long and can play games like Left 4 Dead 2 and Divinity Original Sin on decent settings at 60 fps.

The cheaper the better. Is a GTX 950m the minimum of what I should be looking for? Not sure I need that much.
>>
>>151200
maybe lurk in the archive
http://archive.nyafuu.org/wsr/thread/135978/
http://archive.nyafuu.org/wsr/search/text/gaming%20laptop/
>>
I wouldn't game on a laptop, fans might drive you crazy
>>
>>151200
none

a desktop is going to give much better performance per dollar, and you can re-use or upgrade things as needed
>>
>>151288
>>151302
I wanted a laptop because I wanted to play certain games with someone in the same room, and I already have a desktop here. I definitely can't fit two in the same room.

If the value for money is that much better, then I'd still consider it if there are good cheap suggestions. Bare in mind I don't want to play anything performance heavy; anything that can run Left 4 Dead 2 with solid settings and 60 fps would be good.
>>
>>151312
>anything that can run Left 4 Dead 2 with solid settings and 60 fps would be good.
An Xbox 360.
> I wanted to play certain games with someone in the same room
Okay, two Xbox 360s. That's $100 well spent.
>>
>>151321
That's just one example though. Also intend on playing things like Synergy, Terraria, Divinity Original Sin, among a shittonne of mods.

Has to be a computer, and as of right now, a Laptop is the most viable solution. I also intend on using it for utility purposes.
>>
>>151323
>Synergy, Terraria, Divinity Original Sin
You don't need anything more powerful than a good IGP. Any laptop made within the last year should do you, just do yourself a favour and avoided dedicated graphics cards.
>>
>>151329
Thanks for the help.

I'm still a bit reluctant to choose just any laptop. Last year I bought a cheap HP for studies, and within about 3 months, it started performing extremely slow with the CPU locked at 95%+. It was virus protected and never even came close to something malicious.

Are there any models that should be avoided?
>>
>>151339
>it started performing extremely slow with the CPU locked at 95%+.
That sounds like a software issue, not a hardware issue. It was most like a case of PICNIC, Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

Reinstall the OS on it and don't be an idiot again. That laptop should do you fine
>>
>>151341
>Reinstall the OS on it and don't be an idiot again. That laptop should do you fine
I reinstalled the OS at least 5-6 times, including full restorations. I even consulted my computer guy, he said it was a cheap piece of shit that never lasts long.
>>
>>151339
>Are there any models that should be avoided?

Utter, irredeemable shit tier:
- Toshiba: complete embargo on aftercare, parts, service manuals if you're not a Toshiba(R) Service Center
- HP: bargain-basement shit marketed to idiots

Some good, some bad tier:
- Acer,
- MSI,
- LG,
- Asus: there are good models, and there are bad models, and often they have the same name, appearance, and model number.

Some good, some bad but at least they tell you tier:
- Dell: shit ones are called "Inspiron", decent ones are called "Latitude"
- Lenovo: shit ones are just "Lenovo", decent ones are called "Thinkpad"

No model is bad, but all are overpriced:
- Apple
- Alienware

If you're a clueless buyer, stick with Alienware, Latitude or Thinkpad. You can get a lot of laptop for your money if you buy from one of the mid-range manufacturers, but you need to know what you're looking for, and you need to see the laptop in person to get a feel for the build quality (or lack of).
>>
>>151341
Nah, that sounds like the radiator clogging, as it is wont to do on cheap, shitty laptops, where the radiator has been wedged into a dumb place, and so is too small, forcing the fins too close together.

Standard solution is to crack it open, and clean all the crap out of it. If you're feeling froody, you can replace the thermal pads, thermal compound, and fan.
>>
>>151345
>and you need to see the laptop in person to get a feel for the build quality (or lack of).
Is there a good way for a clueless buyer like myself to learn how to deduce good builds? Very open to learning.
>>
OP here. Based on all the information I've gathered here and elsewhere, I'm looking for a laptop with:

Integrated Graphics
15" or larger screen (less if necessary)
At least 4gb of ram
Not HP or Toshiba
Good internal design built for longevity
Maximum price of around $850 USD

Does anyone have a specific recommendation?

>>151345
Latitude 3000 and ThinkPad E550 look pretty solid. Where does Ideapad fit in?
>>
>>151346
If the CPU is locked at 95% then it's software. The rad being clogged will make it slow down, yes, but it won't show up as high CPU usage.
>>
>>151366
>Where does Ideapad fit in?
In the "run, as fast as you can" category. Their awful, expect as much from them as you would a HP pavilion. HP can be good too if you avoid the aforementioned pavilions but I think the Spectre, probook and elitebook are all out of your price range.
>>
>>151366
It seems to go:
Real Thinkpad
Thinkpad Exxx/Thinkpad Edge
Ideapad
Everything else

I've not got much experience with the Thinkpad Edge series. They're supposed to be nearly as good as a Thinkpad, for a lot less money.
>>
>>151367
BZZZT, WROOOOONG.

If the CPU is loaded when it's not doing anything, that means it's spending most of its time in overtemperature wait states.

When the CPU is overtemperature, it just stops executing instructions until it cools down. Because the processor just pauses without notifying the OS, it appears as if whatever process was running when the processor paused was using the processor for the whole time it spent suspended. The process that triggers throttling isn't going to be the System Idle Process, because all the idle process does is put the processor into a wait state (the proper way), so it's extremely unlikely to generate enough heat to make the processor pause.

tl;dr: overtemperature suspend looks like CPU usage, but isn't.
>>
I got an Asus X555LB recently cause I needed to use Autodesk Inventor for Uni, I'm pleased to say it runs Overwatch and the majority of my steam library at 60fps (It depends a lot on how well optimized the game is too, GMod can run at 140fps at max settings while Chivalry can reach 40-50 at the lowest possible settings).

Mine comes with an i7-5500U (4CPUs) ~2.4GHz, 1TB HDD, 8 GB DDR3 RAM and a Geforce 940M, the screen is 1920x1080 at 15''

I dunno how cheap it may be where you are but I got it with a tiny discount and it was about the equivalent of 800 USD where I live (came with Win10 installed).

It's also got a numpad, VGA output and a disc drive which I always appreciate when using older hardware with the computer.
>>
>>151372

Just checked and the Discount I got was just enough to make it essentially the same as the Laptop without Win10, so you can just get the hardware with FreeDOS for ~800 USD and install whatever you want on it once you have it
>>
>>151370
Obvious troll is obvious, please take it back to /b/.

Next time throw in some rotational velocidensity too, it'll make it more convincing.
>>
>>151395
Obvious damage control is obvious.

If it's so wrong, you'll easily be able to refute it, right? You'll have another, more convincing explanation for what a processor looks like when it goes into thermal suspend. Right?

You can't and you don't, so damage control.
>>
>>151529
>You'll have another, more convincing explanation for what a processor looks like when it goes into thermal suspend. Right?
Honestly, I have no idea what this thermal suspend is. It sounds an awful lot like rotational velocidensity. If you mean thermal throttling, then I don't need to provide an explanation. Pretty much anyone on the planet knows that results in reduced clock speed.
>>
>>151312
why don't you just upgrade your desktop though?
>>
>>151542
It's pretty self-explanatory, dude.

It stops the clock completely until the temperature drops to an acceptable level. This is a last resort to stop the processor going on fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXRHexGIok

You're talking about the OS or System Management Mode selecting clock frequencies based on the temperature, which is something entirely different.
>>
>>151932
>>151542
(the reason the OS/BIOS requests a reduced clock speed is to try to avoid going into thermal suspend.)
>>
>>151932
>>151542
And before you get all herp, derp, that's just P-states, go look.

No socket 423 processor has P-states.
>>
>>151933
Once again, there's no such thing as thermal suspend, you're thinking about throttling. You've also grossly misunderstood the concept, which is entertaining. I apologise for thinking you're a troll, you're apparently not smart enough for that.
>>
>>151957
Okay, explain how a Pentium 4, with a fixed clockspeed set by the motherboard, can "throttle".
>>
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 750x647) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 750x647
>>151957
Go tell Intel they're wrong about how their processor works.
>>
>>151971
I seriously suggest you go google "thermal suspend" and see what you get. Then google thermal throttling. You're not going to do it because you're convinced you're right, despite barely knowing enough English to string two words together, never mind actually comprehend anything more technical than the instructions on the back of a bag of rolled oats.
>>151979
None of that has anything to do with any of the keys you've mashed. Thank you for proving my point while I was still typing it.
>>
>>151980
"modulating the duty cycle of the processor clock" = ignoring clock cycles.

"Modulation" means, in this context, "interfering with a repeating signal". "Amplitude modulation" radio works by varying the strength of a constant frequency carrier signal. "Pulse-width modulation" power control works by varying the amount of time an AC power supply spends in each "on" part of the wave.

"Duty cycle modulation" means altering the clock so that *clock pulses are ignored*. A clock cycle occurs, and the processor literally does nothing.

This is not the same thing as throttling/speedstep/p-states, which came much later. The chief difference is that the OS is not involved; all it sees is that Notepad suddenly and inexplicably took all the available processor for the past scheduler period.
>>
>>151321
Left 4 Dead 2 is still pretty performance heavy, I mean it was only last-gen dude
>>
>>151983
Ok, you really, really need to go read more stuff and stop pulling shit out of your ass. I know English isn't your first language, possibly not your second or third either, but you need to stop making an ass of yourself. It should be night time in eastern Europe, go sleep, you obviously need it.
>>
>>151992
The lady doth protest too much methinks.

C'mon, put up an actual counterargument.

You can do it!

protip: "I'm right because you're a doody-head" is not a counterargument.
>>
>>152022
>The lady doth protest too much methinks.
I've actually stopped protesting, I don't think anything I say will reach you. At least not tonight, maybe tomorrow morning. You'll wake up and realise that hey, maybe the other guy had a point. Then you'll angrily shove it out of your mind, once again reaffirming to yourself how right you are.
>C'mon, put up an actual counterargument.
See >>151980
>barely knowing enough English to string two words together, never mind actually comprehend anything more technical than the instructions on the back of a bag of rolled oats.
You may be putting in a noble effort to not come across as a non English speaker now but that doesn't change your lack of comprehension.
>protip: "I'm right because you're a doody-head" is not a counterargument.
If that's what you took from this then your comprehension truly is staggeringly lacking.

Good night probably Polish anon, I hope you sleep well.
>>
I would without question buy a desktop if its Games that worry you the most.

Gaming laptops are OK, but You will still want a 32-42 inch 120Hz or higher TV or 3X20-25 inch Monitors, maybe a Joystick.

The worst part about dedicated Gaming laptops is the Weight Noise and HEAT, Lets face it, You wont be on the pooper Skyriming Yourself.

If you want to game and have a laptop, I would suggest You buy a laptop with GPU and CPU that will not exceed 50 watts of combined heat.

AMD FX APU's are pretty good (for laptop components) but not as good as a Dedicated Desktop GPU, But still Keep the wattage low and make sure You are not stuck with Lowest graphics settings for everything... Caugh... Intel Graphics... Especially Mobile.

Whatever Happened to Tegra
>>
>>152060
OP here. Not really after the full on gaming experience as I already have a Desktop for that. Just something good enough to run pre-2012 source engine games like Left 4 Dead 2. The reason I wanted a Laptop was to play with someone in the same room my Desktop is in, while also serving as a utility study laptop.

I suppose I'm open to a Desktop as I have a spare monitor, but certainly not a $1500+ gaming powerhouse. If you have any good suggestions for a pre-built PC that costs $850 USD or less, I'll definitely consider it.
>>
>>151321
hit registry in L4D2 is fucking shit dick on console i wouldn't bother
>>
>>152057
>I've actually stopped protesting

>Misses idiom from highschool Shakespeare.
>can't read technical documentation
>herp, derp, I'm totally an English-native
>>
>>152240
>>Misses idiom from highschool Shakespeare.
I didn't miss it, I acknowledged it. Did you expect me to go
>OMG you know Shakespeare I'm sorry polishbro you're soooo clever
Congratulations, you know something taught to every sixteen year old in the western world. Did you want a cookie?
>>
>>152288
Nah, y'quoted it.

You missed what it means: you have a bizarre obsession with saying people are from Eastern-Europe, implying that you feel insecure in your own literacy.

It's okay. Dumb people are people too.
>>
>>152296
>you have a bizarre obsession with saying people are from Eastern-Europe, implying that you feel insecure in your own literacy.
Well, you made no specific denial of it and until very recently you typed exactly like one. "Thermal suspend" stinks of an eastern European term directly translated to English. Again, do you want a cookie? And you call others dumb, that is somewhat impressive.
>>
>>152302
You "missed" an idiom, not as-in "you didn't point it out", but as-in "you took it literally, and responded with a non-sequitur".

Everyone can see you did it, right here (>>152057), first paragraph. You didn't spot it. It's obvious you took it literally. Going on to point out how it's an idiom everyone that's been through highschool should know just makes you look dumber.

You do, at least, appreciate the irony of the situation, right?
>>
>>152478
Idioms can be literal too, which in this case is the only way to interpret it. If you have another, then I'd very much like to hear it. Do you perhaps mean that I've done something unnatural, like kill a king?

Please, oh wise one, tell me what the hidden meaning behind this is that doesn't involve literally protesting. Please tell me how my comment was a non-sequitur. Please explain how you're not a knuckle dragging mouth breather.
>>
>>152515
>missing the point this badly
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 750x792) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 750x792
>>152515
>Idioms can be literal too
>>
>>152774
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiom
>An idiom (Latin: idioma, "special property", from Greek: ἰδίωμα – idíōma, "special feature, special phrasing, a peculiarity", f. Greek: ἴδιος – ídios, "one’s own") is a phrase or a fixed expression that has a figurative, or sometimes literal, meaning.
Also, good job on having dodged explaining what you meant that didn't involve protesting. I totally forgot all about that bit and you really didn't make yourself look like more of a muppet.
>>
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 750x778) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158 KB, 750x778
>>152784
>didn't involve protesting
Sure you want to keep digging?
>>
>>152787
Your image lines nicely up with my use of the word. You were saying something about digging?
>>
>>152788
Your use then, or now?

Or does it just align with whatever's convenient at the moment?
>>
>>152791
Considering the fact that I replied to the use of the word in the quote, wouldn't it be fair to assume that I was using it the same way? The fact that you're now unsure of what I meant shows you're really just out to make an arse of yourself.
>>
>>152796
Oh, come on.

It's obvious you originally took the word in its modern, negative sense, which is what made it so obvious you'd mistakenly taken literally a complete, verbatim line from Hamlet.

Whereas now you've had your error pointed out, you're backpedalling and pretending you were using the archaic sense of "protests" all along.

One problem with that, though: the archaic sense of "protests" mandates the idiomatic interpretation of the line from Hamlet, and you can't have "stopped protesting" when in the very next paragraph you continue protesting.

It's hard to backpedal when anyone can just scroll up, huh?
>>
>>152800
>you were using the archaic sense of "protests" all along
I was about to say that the definition of protest we're using here isn't archaic but that's a hard point to make as the word archaic is considered archaic itself.

I've seen the word used in the same way in modern literature as it has been in Hamlet and I am well aware of it's archaic definition, though I hadn't considered it as such until now.
>and you can't have "stopped protesting" when in the very next paragraph you continue protesting.
Go back and read my posts, you'll see that I had stopped protesting at that point. When will you stop showing that you can't read? Also;
>paragraph
Heh, not applicable to the post in question.
>>
Do the research, upgrade your desktop.

Cheaper, room for upgrades, wont overheat watching youtube, sturdier, same amount of space in practice die to the upgrades youll need to make the laptop enjoyable.

If you say "I cant" or " I really need a laptop", you are memeing me.
>>
>>152802
You can't use the present perfect to refer to something you're still doing in the same action (in this case pressing "post").

If you'd meant what you claim to have meant, you'd have used the present continuous ("I'm actually stopping") or future continuous (I'll actually stop"). Seeing as your English is so good and all.

Funnily-enough, though, your use of the present perfect corresponds perfectly (hoho) with what actually happened: you thought "protest" was referring to your attempting to articulate your patchwork understanding of computer architecture, and not your relentless insistence that you speek english gud.

Anyone that wants to see for themselves can just scroll up. You can't backpedal your way out of this.
>>
>>152804
OP, who already has a desktop, needs a laptop because his tiny room does not have space for /two/ desktops. (>>151312)

You knew this, though, because you surely wouldn't have written all that without bothering to read the thread, right?
>>
>>152809
>You can't use the present perfect to refer to something you're still doing in the same action (in this case pressing "post").
>Pressing post is protesting in any definition of the word
Cute and not at all the case.
>Trying to throw tenses into the mix to draw the focus away
Is this your third or fourth attempt at drawing the focus away? I lost count and I don't particularly care.
>>
File: holo smug.png (389 KB, 554x463) Image search: [Google]
holo smug.png
389 KB, 554x463
>this thread
>>
>>152811
If tense were relative to the time the verb happened, everything would always be present-perfect, wouldn't it, you blithering idiot.

>O hai I'm verbing when I'm verbing
>and when I stop verbing I stop verbing

Tense is relative to the utterance, and the time of the utterance is when you press "post". So if you use the perfect tense, then at the time you utter, you've already stopped verbing. If by uttering you're also verbing, you need to use the continuous.

Because you're really really good at English, and make a point of saying so at every opportunity, we have to assume you didn't just fuck up, and that you chose the perfect tense on purpose, and thus the "protesting" you were claiming to have stopped doing cannot possibly be the same "protesting" you're now trying to damage-control into.
>>
>>151345
>decent ones are called "Thinkpad"
They're great, just not for gaming
>>
>>152900
>Because you're really really good at English, and make a point of saying so at every opportunity
I never said that, now you're just picking things out of the air. I said the anon who was talking about "thermal suspend" was really bad at English, which is not the same as saying I'm good at it. I'll happily admit to having gotten a B3 in the last English exam I took, roughly seven years ago.
>Tense is relative to the utterance, and the time of the utterance is when you press "post". So if you use the perfect tense, then at the time you utter, you've already stopped verbing. If by uttering you're also verbing, you need to use the continuous.
Ignoring the fact that you're still trying to draw the focus away, I am not protesting. At this point I'm trolling a troll and presumably quite successfully at that since you're here trying to troll me rather than off ruining another thread, you mucous eating oaf. Those insults are fun, aren't they?
>and thus the "protesting" you were claiming to have stopped doing cannot possibly be the same "protesting" you're now trying to damage-control into.
You use very many words to repeat the same non argument many times. It's not working.
>>
>>152910
Why not?
>>
File: s4dTtBy.jpg (86 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
s4dTtBy.jpg
86 KB, 384x313
>tfw you actually try to help but the thread just spins off into two self righteous assholes discussing something that has fuck all to do with the original request
>>
>>152924
>Ignoring the fact that you're still trying to draw the focus away
The ball's still in your court. If you actually make a point, I'll demolish it.
>I am not protesting, I'm trolling
That would be the kind of "protesting" you'd have been doing if, as you claim, you'd taken the idiom and run with it, instead of it flying over your head.

Did you just forget you were trying to backpedal?
>>
Thoughts on the Acer Nitro VN7-791G?
>>
File: IMG_0689.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0689.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I'm having trouble wondering which one to buy. And you guys are savvy in these things so I would like your opinion and recommendations.

Lenovo Y700 15"
>http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y700-series/y700-15-inch/

Dell Inspiron 7559 15"
>http://hothardware.com/reviews/dell-inspiron-15-7559-review

I've already been recommended the Dell by my friend, now I just need a confirmation from you guys to final my decision of which of these 2 I should buy.
>>
>>153825
Dell Inspirons and Ideapads are utter shit.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.