[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to get into making music, /wsr/? Not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Trilogy_Cover.jpg (122 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Trilogy_Cover.jpg
122 KB, 700x700
What's the best way to get into making music, /wsr/?
Not asking /mu/ because they're /mu/.
I want to make stuff similar to Carpenter Brut, if that helps at all.
>>
>>146537
it depends i guess. do you have any knowledge of music theory? are you ok with piracy? (if not then prepare a budget of +2K). the thing about most online learning courses is that for the best ones you usually have to pay .
For a couple of years i've been using a software called Ableton Live and also following some online learning series from a place called Sonic Academy and i really recommend it (they say they're the best ones on music production and i kinda agree with that)

they usually post sample videos in their youtube channel to get people to buy their stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicAcademy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFzUDCY-DgY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzIKDk_j_kU

if you can't or don't want to pay you can find quite a few of their courses over rutracker.org (type on google: site:rutracker.org "sonic academy") usually the torrents over there have pretty good seed and you only need to make an account for access to the torrents.
>>
>>146564
Did four years of marching band, but to be honest I don't feel like I learned very much- I can still barely read music.
Totally fine with piracy.

Also thanks for the channel and site recommendations, I'll check them out and see if they help me any.
>>
OP here, should probably specify I'm looking more for software to make music with than how to make it.
>>
>>146617
lmms and a bunch of soundfonts. And audacity. Free, legal and virus-free.

Do study music theory though. Learn how scales are structured (2-2-1-2-2-2-1 major, 2-1-2-2-1-2-2 minor, etc), relative scales (the 6th minor is relative to the root major, and the third major is relative to the root minor), chords (I, ii, iii, IV, V7, vi, VIIdim) and harmony and dissonance theory.
>>
Put words like Niga bitch ect
>>
>>146627
ayy lmms
>>
>>146617 >>146627
the most used ones that i've seen around are ableton, logic pro, cubase, fl studio and lmms. also i've seen some people just dig in into music production without much knowledge about music theory (learning music theory could take years in some cases). there's some musicians who started learning when they were kids and some are still learning while being adults (according to a music professor)
>>
>>146617
Judging by listening to Carpenter Brut, you're definitely going to want to use Logic, except that can be a pain because it only runs on MacOS. If you can, though, it would suit the style you want.
I'm going to mention a few others even though they'll be harder to make Carpenter Brut-style music with.
Reaper is only 60 dollars for educational and noncommercial use. It has time stretching algorithms that sound just as good as Ableton and Logic. It's very light weight, I run it on a laptop Celeron. The company that makes it claims it runs well on Wine, but Wine is rarely a good solution for audio. It's probably best for recording and editing, but can do MIDI through VSTs and similar things. It comes with quite a few high quality VST effects, but not so many synths.
If you want to make synth heavy electronic music, like EDM, LMMS is definitely the best to start out with. I made my portfolio for college using LMMS and Audacity.
Ardour is a viable daw focused on recording. But I've never been able to get into it. You might find you enjoy it. It's on the Ubuntu repositories.
If you want to do live concerts, I recommend Ableton, since that's what it's meant for and you can map most parameters to external controllers. There's no need to spend all that money on Ableton if you aren't interested in live performance.
Max MSP I don't recommend using, since it's not really a DAW, but it is probably the most powerful program I've listed. The problem is, you have to do everything manually, or download someone else's patches. You have to debug max patches like code or circuits, making it at least ten times harder than DAWs. Only use this if you want to do things like more than 8 channel audio, algorithmic composition, performance art, sound installations, or other funky stuff that you couldn't do very well with a DAW. Max MSP is compatible with Ableton, if you buy the full version of Ableton. I can confirm legal Max 7.2 works with cracked Ableton 9.2.1.
>>
>>146617
This was my music theory textbook for my first two semesters of theory. http://www.dmu.uem.br/aulas/harmonia/AldwellAndSchachter_HarmonyAndVoiceLeading.pdf
Try to get to the point where they talk about tonicization, because it's very useful.
The problem with learning music theory the traditional way, is that you learn a whole bunch of old useless stuff first, which gives you the skills you need to eventually write more modern sounding music. A large portion of stuff you write using the knowledge from this book will sound SUPER dated. 1600s dated. You might save a lot of time and actually write better music if you just listen to a lot of modern music, try to replicate a few bands, and then use that to springboard into developing your own styles of writing.
Or, you might find that you like music theory, and follow that rabbit hole all the way until you write wild shit like Conlon Nancarrow and John Cage, or become a music theory professor and hate yourself forever.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.