[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cheap laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: laptop.jpg (7 KB, 243x207) Image search: [Google]
laptop.jpg
7 KB, 243x207
Hi /g, I want to buy a cheap laptop with some good gaming capabilities. What would you recommend? I was thinking about an Asus x550jx, because I have a 4gb memory laying around
>>
Build a gaming desktop instead, it's very cheap and a smarter choice in the long run. You can do it for as little as $200.

If you want a "gaming" laptop then I'm afraid you will have to spend at least $800 for one. There are cheaper ~$600 with APUs but they are severely bottlenecked by the 2GHz processor, slow ram, and most likely a lack of dual-channel ram as well.
>>
>>145266
Unfortunately I need a laptop... This one has an i7 at 2.60 ghz with haswell, a gtx 950m and 4 gb of ram. Do you think there is something better at this price? It goes for 575 euro in romania
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zfpxr7

Build related specs:
>$226
>320GB HDD
>8GB gaming RAM (dual-channel 1866MHz DDR3)
>A8 desktop gaming APU
>up to 34A 12V rail (up to 408W for graphics card)
>dual-graphics mode capable (can use igpu and dedicated gpu)
>>
>>145268
>Unfortunately I need a laptop...
Elaborate. The build I just recommended is a very compact Micro-ATX one. Assembling one is very easy, just watch a few youtube tutorials and you should be fine.

>This one has an i7 at 2.60 ghz with haswell, a gtx 950m and 4 gb of ram. Do you think there is something better at this price? It goes for 575 euro in romania
That's pretty bad, barely any better than the $223 build I just recommended. 950m paired with a 2.6GHz i7 will be bottleneck significantly (lower FPS).
>>
>>145271
I need the mobility of a laptop, I am in college and studying abroad.
>>
>>145272
You will be homeless?
>>
>>145273
No, but I need a portable computer for now.
>>
>>145276
Then why not get a tablet PC for school and keep a desktop at home?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AN6BBKI
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0177ASBFQ
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BTYZ3GM

Total cost: ~$140
Specs:
>2.16 GHz x86 quad-core Atom processor
>2GB RAM
>windows 10 and Android OS (you can switch any time)
>1920 x 1200 res 8 inch screen
>32GB internal + 64GB microsd card

You don't need a gaming gpu to take class notes right?
>>
>>145276
If you get a gaming laptop you will never be able to upgrade the gpu and will always be stuck with a processor that will throttle to 2- 2.3 GHz when playing video games which will reduce your FPS more.

My build has a pci-express slot and a 12v 34a rail so you can easily use the $200 Rx 480 polaris GPU everyone is talking about (only uses ~150W) which competes with the gtx 980 and R9 380X I think. It's very good for 1080p max settings gaming.
>>
>>145281
the thing is, as I said before that I need a computer that I can take with me anywhere, and I can't really fit a desktop in the peace of shit room that I have rented.
>>
>>145294
Sorry had to get lunch.

Also are you sure?

The cougar spike case in my build is 7.1 x 16.7 x 14.6 inches in dimension. That's pretty fucking small. Like almost xbox small.

You can put your monitor on top of the case laying sideways too. You can get a bluetooth keyboard + mouse and usb bluetooth adapter to save even more space.

Fact is if you get a gaming laptop you are going to have a very bad time because games 1-2 years from now won't even run in low 720p settings on a laptop. Some games are starting to use ray tracing now and that's very gpu intensive.

In fact that $200 Rx 480 might become the minimum to play pc games in 1-2 years.
>>
>>145306
yeah, what I'm looking for now is a laptop that can satisfy my gaming needs until I can get enough money to buy a desktop computer, (1-2 years). So do you have any recommendations regarding laptops?
>>
>>145313
Nope, sorry this is as far as I am able to help. If a almost xbox sized desktop laying sideways with a $40 used monitor from ebay is still too big for you then maybe pc gaming isn't for you.

You're obviously not willing to spend $1,000+ so you won't find a good gaming laptop. Maybe get nintendo ds, they might have call of duty ported over to it by now.

goodbye OP.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.