[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Someone knows how to pixel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 10
File: 148.png (1 KB, 80x80) Image search: [Google]
148.png
1 KB, 80x80
Hai /wsr/
I need some help to learn how to do pixel-art
Im trying to do 24x24 icons of some pokemons and dragon silhouettes

But, see, is pretty hard to do a 24x24 transparent full pixel, transparent like this one
<<<<<<<<<

Is pretty minimalist and hard, specially on 24x24px images, How do i do it?
>>
Like you said, it's minimalist and difficult; pretty much the only way to figure out how to do it, is to try it. That's a suuuuuper tiny work space. Use your preferred drawing software to make a 24x24 transparent background and use a 1px brush to slowly draw your outline.
>>
File: Untitled.png (930 B, 80x80) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
930 B, 80x80
You could try to make it automatically with the gimp by scaling with no interpolation algorithm (Image > Scale Image... > Interpolation:None) and setting it to indexed with, say, the Classic Kit 01 palette (Image > Mode > Indexed... > Use Custom Palette:Classic Kit 01).

But of course, the result will be subpar. Have an example made following the instructions I gave you, applied on the dragonair image from bulbapedia.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (650 B, 45x46) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
650 B, 45x46
>>143672
Wot, look good, is not exactly how i imagine it but i think you can edit it, i mainly use Photoshop.

In photoshop there is a option to scale the image without any filter, like ms paint.
I used that way but it is not perfect, and sucks when i try to resize something to 24x24, specially a dragon silhouette
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 KB, 84x84) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 KB, 84x84
>>143672
Sometimes, the art can be improved by adding an extra black border. You do it like this:
1 - Scale the image to 2 pixels under what you want (in this case, I scaled it to 78x78).
2 - Image > Canvas Size, and set it to the size with the 2 extra pixels. Make sure to press "center" before you press "accept".
3 - Right-click on the layer, and then on "Alpha to Selection" (near the bottom)
4 - Make a new transparent layer.
5 - Select > Grow > 1 pixel
6 - Using the bucket fill tool and with the transparent layer selected, fill the selection with black. Then, Select > None.
7 - Drop the black filled layer under the original layer.
8 - Right-click on the top layer, and do "Merge Down".
9 - Image > Mode > Indexed... > Use Custom Palette:Classic Kit 01
>>
File: Untitled.png (360 B, 24x24) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
360 B, 24x24
>>143674
24x24 using this method >>143675
>>
File: 148Dragonair.png (93 KB, 431x431) Image search: [Google]
148Dragonair.png
93 KB, 431x431
>>143677
>>143675
>>143672
And the original.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (18 KB, 392x456) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
18 KB, 392x456
>>143677
How it looks if you try to do with a silhouette like this one?
>>
File: Untitled.png (232 B, 24x24) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
232 B, 24x24
>>143680
Not perfect, as you'd expect.

I added the eye myself. The scaling killed it, but hey, 24x24 nearest neighbor, can't expect much better than that.
>>
>>143663
>pixel art tuts
http://mediafire.com/download/93ka9a4x6grdlvt/pxl.rar
also there's usually a pixel art thread going on at /ic/
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (357 B, 45x46) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.png
357 B, 45x46
>>143681
>>143680

This is my result, your one is done with gimp right?

This happens when i try to do it with PS
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (467 B, 52x46) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.png
467 B, 52x46
>>143680
Like you see it kills mainly lots of details, what do you think?, should i change to gimp to do pixel resize?, i liked pretty much how gimp does not kill too much details like photoshop.
Or maybe i do something wrong.
>>
>>143687
>Or maybe i do something wrong.
You do.

You're using photoshop when gimp respects your freedom.
>>
>>143682
Tuts of pixels and /ic/ pixel thread?, sure, Thanks!
I'm gonna check them, maybe it can helps me to figure how should i do it manually, or perfect what i resize.
>>
>>143689
hahahahahaha okay okay, im not get used to gimp, is awkward to use another program, but if you say so then i need to try it.

Now i know where to start, also, i had never think on indexed images, that thing is great for pixel art

Thanks for your help o/
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.