[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the best route to upgrade an xp to windows 10?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: dog3.jpg (196 KB, 600x412) Image search: [Google]
dog3.jpg
196 KB, 600x412
what's the best route to upgrade an xp to windows 10?
>>
formatting inbetween
>>
>>142823
Update to Windows 7
Update to Windows 10
>>
There isn't - if xp is the best your hardware can handle, 10 will run like molasses.
>>
File: 1446698776476.webm (2 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1446698776476.webm
2 MB, 1024x768
>>
>>142823
Don't. Use Windows 7 until you're forced out of it, then use Linux. You don't like video games because you still use XP and you can still run any normal apps using Wine.
>>
Your hardware is probably very dated. You should upgrade to 7 or stick with XP.
>>
>>142875
I've read that you can't upgrade directly from xp to 10, you have to go to 7 then take the update to 10. But how do I get to 7 for free and get a genuine Windows key?

I read that my xp pc will take Windows 7. If it can run 7, it will likely run 10. I upgraded a HP Mini from 7 and 10 and that thing is a piece of crap.
>>
>>143028
>how do I get to 7 for free and get a genuine Windows key
You don't. Do you even understand what you just wrote?

If you want genuine Windows, you need to buy it. No-one is going to give you Windows for free.

Best thing you can do to an XP machine is buy it a new motherboard that comes with Windows 7, and go XP(old motherboard)-->XP(new motherboard)-->7-->10.

You can get a new motherboard, with a decent Core2 Duo and a genuine Windows 7 license, for less than $40.
>>
>>143075
oh damn, I'm so screwed man. I'm a hardware noob, to do all that before the end of July, might as well stick with this crappy xp. The person I received it from lost the driver disc, it doesn't run as well as it could. I only have the reinstall disc which I hate, reinstalling from the hard drive is so much better.
>>
>>143075
Actually it's more complicated than that.

You need to go XP, Vista, 7, 10.

>>143079
You could buy a "FQC-00130" Windows 7 retail upgrade. It's a genuine Windows licence, so long as you have a genuine Windows XP. They go for $70-$100, used on places like Amazon and eBay.

The advantage of retail is that the license is transferable from person-to-person, and from computer-to-computer. You can upgrade it to Windows 10 Retail and transfer that license too.
>>
>>143028
Just use an ISO of Windows 7, preferably one not off a torrent site, but a startup disk or something. Don't activate it yet, use DAZ Windows Loader, congrats, now you can upgrade to windows 10 and not worry. If you play games on your, PC, though, don't do it.
>>
>>143116
He said "genuine", anon.

Everyone knows how to pirate Windows.
>>
>>143117
He also said free.

He obviously doesn't know shit.
>>
>>143079
I did a little of the legwork for you and googled it for you.
https://www.google.com/
Enjoy.
>>
>>143118
TBF, the [7, 8, 8.1]-->10 upgrade *is* free.

Not knowing XP isn't eligible == "doesn't know shit"?
>>
>>143111
No I think I could jump straight to 7, no one liked Vista and I'm sure MS was aware of this fact, surely. If I could purchase a cheap Windows 7 starter, then I could upgrade to 10
>>
>>143245
7 has downgrade rights to Vista.

Upgrade to Vista, don't bother activating it, immediately upgrade to 7.

If you have XP, and you try to install 7, it'll make you clean install.
>>
>>143278
i don't need to keep any files on it. It's an older computer that I'd to get up-to-date just incase something happens to my current one
>>
desu if your PC is still on XP, it probably won't run 10 very well
>>
>>143476
I don't understand, why wouldn't it? The pc with windows xp on it has better specs than the HP Mini netbook I upgraded to 10
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.