[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello! Could someone translate the following sentence? I tried
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: nihongo.jpg (80 KB, 1085x480) Image search: [Google]
nihongo.jpg
80 KB, 1085x480
Hello!
Could someone translate the following sentence? I tried but I am not sure if my translation is correct. The only thing I know absolutely certain is that there are two main clauses (indicated by the が in this case).

まだ小さいですが黄金以外の調教は一通り終わっております。
>>
>>142148
so what your take on it. we'll tell you if its okay.
>>
>>142148
My translation would be this:

Futhermore (he) is small, but the everything else than golden training retired and (he) quitted with the same status.

But I am very sure that it is not correct. I am not even sure how to translate 一通り.
>>
>>142179
No it wouldn't.

You clearly can speak English, so why would "your" translation sound like Google Translate?
>>
>>142148
>まだ小さいですが
Although <topic> is still young, ...
>>
>>142195
Why my translation sounds like this? The main reason is because I translate by grammer and not by semantics. A machine translator does the same so the obvious implication is that it is quite similar.
>>
>>142148
>黄金以外の調教は一通り終わっております。
<topic> is already prepared to train at gold-level.
(lit.) <topic> has mostly done all the training apart from gold-level.
>>
>>142200
That's not translation. That's not anything.

Your objective is to convey meaning, and you can't do that by mechanically applying rules to a sentence you don't understand.

There is literally no point in doing what you're doing, because Japanese grammar transliterated into English only makes sense to a Japanese-speaker, and Japanese-speakers already speak Japanese.
>>
>>142204
I agree with you that there are Japanese grammar rules that do not exist in other languages in this form. But that does not mean that you can't translate them. There are rules to transform these grammatical meanings to other languages.

Let me allege an example in an other language:
In Latin there is something called Gerundive. If I want to translate this to german you'll notice that the German language does not have this grammar rule. But I can also translate this ("zu" + Participle). The sentence which emerges may sound a little broken, but is a correct translation. After that you can transform your sentence to something that sounds better.
>>
>>142204
>>142195
>>142156
Good christ, take a look at this guy on his high horse. This isn't DJT buddy, this board is specifically for requests.

His request was a translation, either translate or don't. Nobody, not even yourself, is going to think any higher of you when you decide to be a cunt of the highest order on a request board.
>>
File: 1432271778729.jpg (292 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1432271778729.jpg
292 KB, 1366x768
>>142148
まだ
Still
小さい
Small/low
です
it is

but (でも(demo) should only be used at the start of a sentence, not as conjunction, which is why が(ga) is used here "instead")
黄金
gold (literally "yellow money")
以外
non/except

particle similar to English "of"
調教
discipline/training

particle denoting topic, English has no particles like it, it is often compared to saying "speaking of..." or "as for..." in English, a way of announcing/drawing attention to a (new) topic.
一通り
from beginning to end/through/completely (literally "one way")
終わっております
No idea what conjugation this is, but the verb being used is "to finish". 終わって います is the present progressive of "to finish", as in "is finishing" (can't be used for the future like in English though, such as in "Tomorrow I am finishing that homework.")

>Still small it is, but as for gold non of training completely finished.

Now this is all quite literal, "gold non of training" is a very literal way of saying "non golden level of training" or simply "non-golden training" etc.

>[Subject] is still small/low, but as far as training is concerned [subject] has completed all but gold level training.
Is a more natural translation.

Now this could either mean that the speaker is impressed with the subject or disappointed, this is rather ambiguous and would require some context to clear up. As in is it "don't let looks deceive you, [subject] may be small, but [subject] has already completed nearly all training", or "[subject] is STILL low/small despite finishing all but the hardest training already". I would assume the prior, but the latter is quite possible.

I don't speak any japanese and can't into moon to save my life, use at own discretion, this could very well all be wrong.
>>
>>142750
Oh, I should have said that I am assuming that the conjugation being used is some honorific form of the present perfect, but for all I know it is the past perfect or so, no idea. Like I said, not into moon.
>>
>>142204
>Japanese grammar transliterated into English only makes sense to a Japanese-speaker
Simply not true, the language is so literal that if you can't at least get the gist of a sentence from a "grammatical transliteration" you should be worried about not having primary education.
>>
>>142709
Um, yeah, I already did.

And way better than Dictionary Corner over at >>142750, to boot.
>>142750
まだ小さい always means "young", because まだ implies that it's a state subject to change. You're gonna stop being young at some point; you're not going to stop being short or small.

>>142759
Electricity, light, stone, fire.
>>
>>142815
>and way better than Dictionary Corner over at >>142750(You), to boot.
Well you say you do it way better, but the only difference between my translation and your translation (which I completely read over, else I wouldn't have even bothered posting) is that I failed to "translate" the literal wording "still small" . I don't speak moon, but saying your translation is "way better" is a stretch. However seeing as you do seem to be into moon, would you mind telling me what the conjugation 終わっております is? I don't have the foggiest and can't seem an explanation for it.
>>
>>142821
>what the conjugation 終わっております is?
It's just another form of 終わっています. You can use ております instead of ています if you think it sounds better. It's technically formal language, but it has no formal connotation.
>>
>>142834
Pretty chuffed with being nearly spot on for the entire thing then, maybe I'll decide to learn moon one day.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.