[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone recommend me anime with the following criteria: >80/90s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: latest[1].jpg (144 KB, 1013x1500) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
144 KB, 1013x1500
Can anyone recommend me anime with the following criteria:

>80/90s to very early 00s
>no anime autist relationship issues where grown ass adults don't know how to act with the opposite sex
>no dragonball z length battles i.e. shonen type serials
>no perverted crap
>crap made for autists in mind

Here's a list of some anime I think are good:
Akira
Fist of the North Star
Vampire Hunter D
The Studio Ghlibi films
Ghost in the Shell (movie only)
Battle Angel Alita
Dirty Pair OVAs Streamline dubs
Paprika
Ninja Scrolls
Dominion Tank Police
Robot Carnival
Memories

If you have to, you can ignore, the 80s/90s limit but it's there for a reason.

Already planning to watch:
Cowboy Bebop
Wings of Hommaise
Royal Space Force
Planetes

Don't recommend:
NGE
Welcome to NHK
>>
K-On!
>>
Serial Experiments Lain
Crest of the Stars
Record of Lodoss War TV (controversial)
Kare Kano
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Would be nice if you said why you have the time limit. Is it because of artstyle or image quality? A special style that only existed back then? Something else?
>>
>>141529

Jin-Roh
>>
File: Chiyo_Chan_and_Osaka_GIF.gif (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Chiyo_Chan_and_Osaka_GIF.gif
2 MB, 640x480
>>141532
In a similar vein, Azumanga Daioh. Kyohiko Azuma is a fantastic writer.
>>
Full Metal Alchemist: Botherhood
was really good
>>
>>141546
Don't skip the first season if you watch this. First 2003, then Brotherhood.
>>
not sure what you mean by
>crap made for autists in mind
but hopefully the following recs don't fall under that restriction.

I want to recommend space battleship yamato though that dates back to the 70s. the wife and I watched the whole series a while back and we both thought it was pretty great.

they remade it sometime in the 2000s I think, drawn in a similar style to the original but with more updated effects and smoother animation. I have only watched the first episode of the remake but IIRC it was pretty similar to the original in plot too.

if you end up watching that and liking it, try space pirate captain harlock and galaxy express 999 as well. they were written by the same guy.
>>
Gainax Golden Age (1985-1995):
>Gunbuster
>Appleseed
>Nadia
>Eva

Gainax Silver Age (1996-2004):
>End of Evangelion
>FLCL
>Diebuster

And also Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
>>
>>141577
Did you completely ignore my
>no pervert crap
>no nge
criteria?

Nadia series seemed like a ghibli series by a pedofile. All the good parts of NGE was contained in that VHS trailer of all the robot fights.

>>141535
Partially nostalgia and partially it seems like there was better stuff back then but there might have been a quality filter back then.

>>141548
Saw the first series a while back, have no real desire to revisit it.

>>141553
>battle yamoto
>galaxy express

Heard about this a lot, will add.
>>
>>141581
If you think anything I rec'd is "pervert crap" you're as prudish as a Mormon minister, in which case I suggest you find a new hobby cause anime isn't for you.
>>
>>141582
Cool.
>>
>>141581
I too have watched the first season of Yamato, the one in 1974, and it was really good. I think the remake is from 2012.

>>141581
By limiting it to pre-2000, you are missing out on a lot of good anime. The time period from 2002 and at least through 2007 was possibly the best time for anime of all time, and you are missing out on all of it.
True a lot of it looks like shit, but if the visuals aren't the reason you want old anime, you are doing yourself a disservice by not watching at least some of it.

For example, Princess Tutu, Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey, Fantastic Children, Azumanga Daioh, Mushishi.
(I've only seen Tutu, Kino and Azumanga though)

There are also more recent good anime too. Maybe not from 2015, but Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is an anime from this year that's highly regarded, and you also have slightly older stuff that I hear is good, like Psycho Pass and Shin Sekai Yori. (Only seen the latter, it's good).
>>
>>141529
Watch Bubblegum Crisis fag-boy. You're like those dumbass kids that refuse to eat vegetables.

Then watch Venus Wars.
>>
>>141605
>You're like those dumbass kids that refuse to eat vegetables.

No, I like things that are good. If I don't put certain criteria people start recommending crap series clearly intended for young children or shit aimed at perverted autists.

(Also I have Bubblegum Crisis if only for nostalgia value, I don't think it's actually that good).

Also one thing that I really miss about 90s/80s is the English dubs that had a certain charm, like american accents clearly done by english people.
>>
>>141615
Yeah man only mature animes and all that jazz. Eat your vegetables and watch some Love Live, kid.
>>
>>141636
>Love Live! (Japanese: ラブライブ!, Hepburn: Rabu Raibu!?) School Idol Project is a Japanese multimedia project co-developed by ASCII Media Works' Dengeki G's....

jfc

So far I have:
Battle Yamato
Galaxy Express

Anyone else? You can drop the 80s/90s criteria if you want.
>>
>>141639
>>141532
>>
>>141529
have you tried death note?
>>
>>141639
md geist (similar to fist of the north star)
ashita no joe / hajime no ippo (boxing sport classics)
neo tokyo (similar style to memories/akira)
millenium actress (similar to paprika)
jin roh / patlabor (must watch if you like action)
rurouni kenshin + trust and betrayal (similar to ninja scroll)
lupin the third movies + series (there's too many to post about each)
metropolis (movie made in the early 00's similar style to the classic astroboy)
great teacher onizuka (the funniest shit i've ever seen must watch definitely it also has that 90's vibe)
ninja resurrection (similar to ninja scroll just not that good)
angel's egg (kinda surreal movie but interesting none the less made in the 80's i think)
roujin z (written by the guy who made akira/memories)
serial experiments lain (a little psychological but i liked it a lot)

here's some recent movies

nasu summer in andalusia
tokyo godfathers
the girl who leapt through time (it has the 90's vibe)
a letter to momo
sword of the stranger
>>
>>141639
Why did you ignore my suggestions? Already seen them?
>>141535
>>
>>141529
>perverted crap

what did he mean by this
>>
>>141654
>md geist (similar to fist of the north star) - will check out
>ashita no joe / hajime no ippo (boxing sport classics) - will check out
>neo tokyo (similar style to memories/akira) - added
>millenium actress (similar to paprika) - added
>jin roh / patlabor (must watch if you like action) - been intending to watch patlabor 1/2, jin roh not so much
>rurouni kenshin + trust and betrayal (similar to ninja scroll) - seen enough samurai x, it's way too long and dbz-esque
>lupin the third movies + series (there's too many to post about each) - seen a few
>metropolis (movie made in the early 00's similar style to the classic astroboy) - seen
>great teacher onizuka (the funniest shit i've ever seen must watch definitely it also has that 90's vibe) - will check out
>ninja resurrection (similar to ninja scroll just not that good) - will check out
>angel's egg (kinda surreal movie but interesting none the less made in the 80's i think) - will check out
>roujin z (written by the guy who made akira/memories) - seen
>serial experiments lain (a little psychological but i liked it a lot) - wary of this one since I heard it was packed with psychobabble ala GitS:SAC where they stand around and recite philosophy

>nasu summer in andalusia - sounds interesting added
>tokyo godfathers - satoshi - added
>the girl who leapt through time (it has the 90's vibe) - seen
>a letter to momo - seems interesting - added
>sword of the stranger - looks passable

>>141665
>Serial Experiments Lain - wary of this one since I heard it was packed with psychobabble ala GitS:SAC where they stand around and recite philosophy
>Crest of the Stars - doesn't look like something I'd be interested in
>Record of Lodoss War TV (controversial) - might check out
>Kare Kano - I might check this out if the characters aren't emotionally stunted autists when it comes to the opposite sex
>Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - I remember passing on this for a good reason, I can't remember what though.
>>
>>141685
>Lain
Not at all similar to GitS:SAC, and it's not preaching.
>Crest of the Stars
Fair enough
>Lodoss War
Like I said, controversial, and most people actually prefer the OVA instead, but I'm enjoying it a lot, and much more than the OVA. You can give it a try.
>Kare Kano
They are not, but maybe it has too much fun for you. It's not a straight up comedy, but it takes a pretty fun/light hearted tone.
>YKK
Probably because you found it boring, it's a healing SoL.
>>
File: 1459949565753.jpg (34 KB, 489x488) Image search: [Google]
1459949565753.jpg
34 KB, 489x488
>>141581
>Did you completely ignore my
> >no pervert crap
> >no nge
>criteria?
>Nadia series seemed like a ghibli series by a pedofile.
This fucking guy.
>>
>>141864
He's not wrong, especially since it was done by the guy who did nge.
>>
>>141680
Ecchi
>>
File: Trigun-anime-Vash.jpg (74 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Trigun-anime-Vash.jpg
74 KB, 720x480
>>141529
Trigun
>1998
>not perverted
>no drawn out battles
I dont find it autist
but i might be autist, so you never know
>>
>>142013
I watched it.
I regret having watched it.

I can't remember much, I remember being annoyed at how much of a pussy/preachy Vash was when it came to killing people. It's a trait that many anime characters share, regardless of whether or not their world would permit such rigid morality.
>>
>>141529
One more thing, does anyone know the name of an anime that used to show on channel 4 (UK) way back that had a scientist in a pink sweater and a polar bear?
>>
Bumping for more suggestions.
>>
>>142422
just how many do you want. try this list

https://mega.nz/#F!2sMnlDoK!sikUSkpN26ntmfhhZncNaw
>>
>>142422
Not 80's, from 2006 but I think you may like "ergo proxy" give the first episode a watch, if you're not interested you can drop it.
>>
>>141536
This.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (156 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
156 KB, 1920x1080
>>141529

Cyber City Oedo.
The dub is non-stop cussing, the animation is gorgeous.

It's a shame it never became a full-fledged series but there's everything from cyborgs to vampires and it's classic 80's, early 90's manly action.
>>
>>142816
Watched it, loved every second of it, right down to the corny accents.
>>
File: Tonegawa.jpg (97 KB, 910x763) Image search: [Google]
Tonegawa.jpg
97 KB, 910x763
>>141529
>to very early 00s

My all time favorite is Kaiji. It is absolutely outstanding but is in 2009.
>>
File: diamond knuckle.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
diamond knuckle.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>>141529
You're Under Arrest
>>
>>141529
Black Lagoon
Gunsmith Cats
Ryoko Case Files
Phantom Quest Corps
Golgo 13
>>
What about Cowboy Bebop?
>>
lupin the third and the castle of cagliostro
>>
Macross Plus
Perfect Blue
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Iria: Zeiram the Animation
A Wind Named Amnesia
Run Melos
Lensman
>>
>no NGE
>no NHK

What's the problem Anon?
Don't like it when anime tells you escapism is wrong?
>>
>>143326
Maybe he just dislikes preachy stuff.

Which I can understand. It can be annoying.
>>
>>141536
jin-roh was a shit anime
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.