[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never really played a turn based RPG before What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: thinkering.gif (434 KB, 500x720) Image search: [Google]
thinkering.gif
434 KB, 500x720
I've never really played a turn based RPG before

What's one that's
>Good, obviously
>Interesting world that draws you into it with mystery
>Realistic characters (or at least have more than one dimension)
>Lots of secrets and a world with a nice level of detail
>On PC/Emu
>>
>>140538
Tactics Ogre is a great series and has a game on the SNES, so it's very easy to emulate.
>>
Wizardry 8 is a good turn based dungeon crawler. Considered one of the best in the genre.
>>
This one is very subjective, but I've heard good things about Undertale.
>>
Earthbound is pretty good.
>>
>>140538
Dragon Quest V and Final Fantasy VI.

Downside is, they're way too good. Specially DQV. So they might make all others appear shit in comparison.
>>
>>140590
Undertale is not a turn based RPG, you dipshit.
>>
>>140538
try pokémon
>>
File: Final_Fantasy_Tactics.jpg (86 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_Tactics.jpg
86 KB, 650x650
>>140538
The greatest turn based RPG in existence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Tactics

The second greatest turn based RPG in existence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Trigger

The third greatest turn based RPG in existence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VI
>>
File: 1457682847590.png (101 KB, 902x551) Image search: [Google]
1457682847590.png
101 KB, 902x551
>>140671
Nor is it good in any measurable way.
>>
>>140538
Child of Light?
>>
>>140767
thats a platform game
>>
>>140767
Don't you need ubishit for that
>>
File: Algus.png (139 KB, 475x360) Image search: [Google]
Algus.png
139 KB, 475x360
>>140693
>FFT
THIS
>>
>>140674
This.
>>
>>140694
that person gets a lot right. but then it loses me completely in the last sentence. how in the actual fuck can anyone come to believe that the clusterfuck cringe-fest called Undertale does in any way shape or form measure up to one of the greatest computer RPG series ever aka Baldur's Gate (2 way more than 1, I'll give you that, although mods and the recent re-releases have made 1 a lot better). they are similar in literally no way i can think of.

>>140671
but one thing i have to ask - how is Undertale not turn-based? you and the enemies take turns and you have as long as you want to think about your moves (if i recall correctly). that's literally the definition of turns...
now with Baldur's Gate there's a murky grey area. the combat is real time (but pausable), but rules-wise literally built on a turn-based system (AD&D).

>>140538
anyway, how about Persona 4? they have one of the best character ensemble i've ever seen and they do tell a lot of engaging stories with them and really draw you in. since you opened with Rei, i'm assuming JRPGs are more your tasted anyway. P4 doesn't have a huge world or much range to do whatever you want though and i'm not sure it's available on PC.
>>
>>140835
The fighting is turn based.
Might need ubishit but that doesn't defeat the fact that it's a good game.
And I agree with that other anon about Persona 4 and add Persona 3 too.
>>
I really enjoyed SWKOTOR.
>>
South Park: Stick of Truth
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
>>
>>140538
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger

You won't regret those, that's a promise.
>>
>>140931
>how is Undertale not turn-based?
because it's a bullet-hell game with no turn-based combat?
>>
>>141062
yeah, i can see that. i guess it depends on which aspect you highlight. there are definitely turns, but also twitchy action within those turns. to me turn-based combat is all about having unlimited time for decision making, as opposed to real time combat where you run out of time. and in Undertale the action stops until you make a decision. but i can see one might easily put the focus on a different aspect...
>>
>>140538
>Interesting world that draws you into it with mystery
>Realistic characters (or at least have more than one dimension)
Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 does these two better than any other game I've ever played. If you dig it you can move onto the rest of the SMT franchise because they're all good and they're all pretty different.
>>
Legend of heroes trails in the sky
It's on steam
U will love it
>>
>>140538

Darkest Dungeon
>>
fallout 1 and 2
>>
>>140538
Any fire emblem games are good
>>
>>140538
the first 2 fallouts you plebs
>>
File: REKT.jpg (178 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
REKT.jpg
178 KB, 800x600
>>140538
Neverwinter Nights -- NOT to be confused with "dungeons & dragons: Neverwinter"
Get the platinum edition while you're at it.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.