[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /wsr/, I'm in need of some technical assistance. >Mother
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: P_500.jpg (27 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
P_500.jpg
27 KB, 500x500
Hey /wsr/, I'm in need of some technical assistance.

>Mother had a stroke last year
>uses pic related to type out words as she cannot speak properly
>spills her coffee all over the keyboard

It's an Asus Eee Pc 105P and it still works due to some miracle. I opened it and cleaned it the best I could.

One "problem" is that every time I switch it on now, it asks me to choose an operating system (win7).
Another one is the fan going like crazy. Speccy tells me the CPU temp is 51 to 58°C on average, yet the fan is gooing at full RPM all the time. It only stops for a short while before going at full RPM again. Never did that before, so what gives?

Any Idea how to fix those?
>>
When it asks you to choose the OS how many options are there and what are the other options?.

Try this http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/easily-set-default-os-in-a-windows-vista-and-xp-dual-boot-setup/

As far as temperature. Take a screenshot of your processes tab in task manager like pic related.
>>
>>140349

>When it asks you to choose the OS how many options are there and what are the other options?.

Only one (windows 7)

>Take a screenshot of your processes tab in task manager like pic related

Processes or performance tab? Cause yours is performance.
>>
>>140350

Well that was some random one I got off the internet but performance tab yeah.

Did you try the link I gave?
>>
File: performance.png (62 KB, 1024x600) Image search: [Google]
performance.png
62 KB, 1024x600
>>140351

Looking into it now. Wait a sec. Here's the pic
>>
>>140352

You're CPU is running high. That's why your fan is on constantly. Need to check for malware or whatever program is running it up. Get malwarebytes and run a scan.
>>
>>140353
Will do and report back. Thanks!
>>
>>140353
Ran a search and it came back negative. Not surprising as my parents don't use internet. Biggest cpu and ram consumer is svchost.exe

Also called my dad and he told me that "that thing" didn't make a sound before the spill happened.
>>
Follow this guide to figure out WHICH service under SVChost is causing the high cpu usage.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/FiguringOutWhyMySVCHOSTEXEIsAt100CPUWithoutComplicatedToolsInWindows7.aspx
>>
>>140387
A service called "wuauserv", kicked it and the fan stopped. Even so, it still kicks it sometimes for a short while at full rpm.

It's defeninitely related to high cpu usage, but I think it's not limited to that. Could the coffee have damaged the thermal paste on the cpu somehow?
>>
>>140406

Possibly, I suppose. Maybe the coffee hardened and turned to crud and is now blocking some essential "breathing room" that the hot air flows out of the laptop from.
>>
>>140408
Maybe that's it. Now it works fine, but whenever the cpu usage spikes above a certain threshold (I'd say 60-70%) the fan kicks in full force.

Well anyway, thanks a lot for your help anon.
>>
>>140411

No problem.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.