[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the 'Citizen Kane' of anime? Not necessarily
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: kane.gif (382 KB, 420x315) Image search: [Google]
kane.gif
382 KB, 420x315
What is the 'Citizen Kane' of anime? Not necessarily the one you think is best, but one that has a critical consensus of being the best of its kind.
>>
The only big one I can think of is Neon Genesis Evangelion (the series and the "End of Evangelion" movie from the 90's, not the newer "rebuild" movies).

But the answer probably is that there isn't such a thing. Basically in the history of Japanese animation there have been many notable works that formed it, but none of them are influential enough to have "a critical consensus of being the best of its kind" for all anime.

There are some good posts here:
http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/topic/155518-is-there-a-citizen-kane-of-anime/
>>
>>139446
i would say cowboy bebop. and for movies ghost in the shell.
>>
>>139446

I think I agree with most of what this guy says. Evangelion is probably one of the biggest influences, but not on the level of Citizen Kane, maybe. And a few of the things posted in the that thread are decent as well. That guy who jokingly says One Piece and then non-jokingly says Cowboy Bebop is just upsetting though.

>>139456

Pretty sure Cowboy Bebop had very little influence in Japan. I don't see why people would think it was influential. When people beg for more anime like it every year and the only thing they can get that's somewhat similar to it is another anime from the same director years later, can you really consider that influential? There's probably some logical fallacy with that statement, but whatever.

It probably had more impact in the west than the east, if anything, since it's a very western kind of anime. But that's what Shinichiro Watanabe does best.

It's a fantastic show and I love it, but it didn't really do as much as many other anime, at least not in Japan, like Evangelion for example.

If you want the "Citizen Kane" of anime in the form of a person, look no further than Osamu Tezuka, OP. Go Nagai was also pretty influential.
>>
There isn't one.
>>
>>139466

>The problem with nagai is all his manga got diluted for the anime versions to make them more kid friendly. Eg. Devilman, Mazinger Z, even Getter robo. No doubt he still created the superobot genre as we know it today
As to your question OP Ghost in the shell is generally accepted as being very good so i agree with the other anon. FMA brotherhood is widely liked, for being an adaptation that stays true to its source.
>>
I'd say Cowboy Bebop
>>
>>139436
The old Superman animated series from 1941.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pubd7aMncEQ

It is literally what japan imported after the second world war and they started imitating and it was the seed from which anime spawned.

Through you it could also be one of Disney's works. But i think the Superman series was more influential.
>>
>>139436
There isn't one.

Manga though? Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix (Hi no Tori).
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.